Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How locked down are albums, books etc on Itunes

• 27-12-2011 5:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭

Hi.
    Just got two 25 euro itunes gift cards as a gift and i'm wondering if i should make use of it or sell it.

Haven't used itunes before so just signed up.
    I'd be interested in getting some ebooks and albums.
    What i need to know is:

How locked down is the music. I presume you can download an mp3 version of any album. And it's playable on multiple devices (eg Android smartphone and PC)?

How locked down are the ebooks. I understand the format is epub. Is this format compatible with Windows, Android smartphones or Kindles. And is it playable on multiple devices.

I'm wary of the closed and DRMed nature of all things Apple so can anyone put me straight on this before i decide to sell these cards.
    I use an Android smartphone and Windows PC.

Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,682 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

All music on the iTunes Store is DRM-free. You can play it on anything it, do whatever you want with it, etc. Books and films aren't though. You'll only be able to use them on Apple devices.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭take everything

All music on the iTunes Store is DRM-free. You can play it on anything it, do whatever you want with it, etc. Books and films aren't though. You'll only be able to use them on Apple devices.

Thanks.
    That doesn't sound too bad.
    So (apologies for my ignorance) i can download an album in either mp3 or AAC format? And both formats would play OK on multiple Android or Windows devices.

It's a pity about the ebooks. I was more interested in them tbh.
    I just have Android and Windows devices (also thinking of getting a Kindle). :(

If anyone knows a workaround for the ebook thing, that'd be great.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,682 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Everything on iTunes is AAC, which any decent music player should support.

The books are DRM'd and there's no easy workaround. This isn't an Apple specific thing. Amazon's ebooks are the same. It's for copyright reasons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭take everything

Everything on iTunes is AAC, which any decent music player should support.

Thanks.
    The books are DRM'd and there's no easy workaround. This isn't an Apple specific thing. Amazon's ebooks are the same. It's for copyright reasons.

Thanks.
    I read that ebooks from Amazon are more open.
    I thought they could be played on most devices (including the iphone using the kindle app).

Although this wiki link of formats suggests epub files are more open than Kindle.

Are you saying it's the DRM rather than the format that prevents epubs being played on other devices.

Advertisement