Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is this what they call Canker?

Options
  • 27-12-2011 5:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭

I apologise for the poor picture quality. I checked on our Willow today and it looks yuk! It has growths which appear jellyish all along it. They look thickish but flutter in the breeze. There's quite alot of them So, the thing is-can I save the tree? Does this yuk pose a threat to young bushes near by? If the tree is beyond saving should I burn the remains as opposed to just letting it rot?I never posted pictures before so I hope i manage to do it this time!Thanks so much in advance!

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Looks like a fungal growth. I'd take them off and let the tree take its chances.

• Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭ger vallely

I'd guess though then it would need some sort of treatment? I did try google but I couldn't find pictures or discriptions like mine above. Thanks for your thoughts though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Ophiopogon

I think it looks a bit like a Exidia recisa (willow jelly).

I would just coppice the willow and it should grow back ok...as far as I know this only grows on dead wood anyway so your willow may already be in trouble.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 brenbro

I would cut off that branch back beyond this infected area,
    Willow will regrow very quick,
    And start new shoots

Thanks so much for all the replies. Ophiopogon- that is it exactly.yeah,many parts of the willow were just dead so that makes sense. I think it is in too exposed of an area in the garden. I'm in galway/Mayo so it's quite 'weathery' here! Maybe it just couldn't cope. thanks again.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

Could the fungus also be auricularia auricula judae or the Jew's Ear mushroom?
    Whichever fungus it is, you should cut out any of the host wood - most fungi really only grow on weak or dead wood.

Hmmm,can't imagine the family tucking into it when I dish it up somehow!But yet again-thank you. Yeah,sounds like the tree is none too healthy. I'll wait until the winds have decided to die down and will then tackle it. Many thanks.

Advertisement