Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donegal restaraunts+things to do

Options
  • 27-12-2011 5:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭

Heading to Solis Lough Eske for a 2 day break on thursday. Can anyone recommend nice restaurants ? Is harvest point worth eating in or is it overpriced?Also any recommendations on things to do in that general area?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

Depend's what your into really. Personally I found Harveys point to be too formal, no real atmosphere in the restaurant despite it being full. The meal was top class but not not worth the price.

As for things to do, have a look at this thread should give you plenty of ideas ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭toby2111

Depend's what your into really. Personally I found Harveys point to be too formal, no real atmosphere in the restaurant despite it being full. The meal was top class but not not worth the price.

As for things to do, have a look at this thread should give you plenty of ideas ;)
    Yeh, its €50each for 4 course meal, might go elsewhere. Castle Murray and the Harbour are the top 2 restaurants on tripadvisor, are they decent?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,383 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

old castle bar
    http://www.oldecastlebar.com/menu.html

bella donna
    http://www.labelladonnarestaurant.com/menu.php

manhatten steakhouse
    http://manhattan-steakhouse.com/?page_id=10

prob worth ringing ahead to make sure their open towns quiet at the moment (although looked like it was busy enough last night considering the rubbish left this morning)

if you want a walk try walking out of the back entrance to solis across the road and up the hill you'll see a rough track after a couple of hunded meters (not the forestry road with the barrier the next one ) great views once you get up there a bit) was up their yesterday
    http://s255.photobucket.com/albums/hh122/bluestack/ststephenday2011/?albumview=slideshow

enjoy

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Castle Murray is superb, though leaning towards pricey too. Still, it's fantastic.

The Harbour is always a good all-rounder, not overly expensive.

Also, I believe the Central Hotel does great food these days, though I've not tried personally.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,218 ✭✭✭overshoot

the manhatten stakehouse is actually very good. good tasty size potions and worth the money. doesnt seem to be pulling much of a crowd though which is unfortunate. bad location (upstairs over the 2e shop)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 904 ✭✭✭yourpics

Tara Hotel in Killybegs is very good for dining

Castle murray booked up for the nights we're there.I'll try one of the ones listed above

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

toby2111 wrote: »
    Castle murray booked up for the nights we're there.I'll try one of the ones listed above
    Do let us know what you think of whereever you go. It'll be handy for others who search for similar, and find this thread. As well as satisfy my own curiousity :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭sesswhat

The restaurant in the Solis itself is expensive but I found the bar menu to be very good, and reasonably priced. They also had live traditional music playing in the bar so it might be worth asking if you fancy a 'night in'. :)

We have €50 credit for the Solis restaraunt so will eat there one of the nights.Prob try Harbour or the Olde Castle on the other night.I'll pop up a review in a few days

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭bohsboy

Belladonna (Italian) in Donegal Town has a brilliant early bird (pre 7pm) menu. My favourite.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Deirdra Friel

I think Harvey's have gone a la carte, La Bella Donna good atmosphere as is the Harbour in Donegal. Aroma in the Craft Village during the day a great treat. Castle Murray on St John's Point good for seafood as is 22 Main Street in the fishing port of Killybegs. Kitty Kellys, restaurant outside Killybegs, on road to Slaibh League, is a gem.

Advertisement