Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guilty Pleasure Film

Options
  • 27-12-2011 6:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭

Just wondering what is everyone's ultimate 'Guilty Pleasure Film'.

One that is totally of of character for you and would die of embarrassment if your friends ever found out!

I'm 28, into sports and going for pints with the lads. usually watch gross out comedies and OTT action movies.

My guilty pleasure is: You've Got Mail

I find myself turning into a complete dork when I watch it haha. Its bloody brilliant! but would I dare say this to the mates? F*CK NO!

I'm glad I got that off my chest. Feel free to share yours!
    Tagged:

Comments

There should be no such thing as a guilty pleasure, if you enjoy a film or a book or a band then you should feel no shame in admitting as such. Cinema like all art is subjective and as such what one finds entertaining is not necessarily what another will. As such it leads to debate and discussion on the film in question and makes the world a far more interesting place to live. Be an awful boring world if we all liked the exact same things.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

There should be no such thing as a guilty pleasure, if you enjoy a film or a book or a band then you should feel no shame in admitting as such. Cinema like all are is subjective and as such what one finds entertaining is not necessarily what another will. As such it leads to debate and discussion on the film in question and makes the world a far more interesting place to live. Be an awful boring world if we all liked the exact same things.

this tbh,if you like a movie you like a movie, shouldnt matter what its about or who its aimed at, in the spirit of the thread though mine is probably Mean Girls, its way funnier and smarter than it should be, and its one of the best teen comedies ever. so there.

oh, and Rocky IV, a giant ball of pure 80's cheddar, but damn if its not infinitely entertaining :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Cheesy, American, gung-ho, 80's action movies have a place in my heart.

I miss movies with slimy, scarred Euro-baddies with a funny accent whose henchmen die in increasingly horrible fashions and have their death further insulted by awful puns :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lc180

There should be no such thing as a guilty pleasure, if you enjoy a film or a book or a band then you should feel no shame in admitting as such. Cinema like all art is subjective and as such what one finds entertaining is not necessarily what another will. As such it leads to debate and discussion on the film in question and makes the world a far more interesting place to live. Be an awful boring world if we all liked the exact same things.

Completely valid point, this is just a lighthearted thread to reassure myself that I'm not the only one out there with dodgy taste in films. :)

Be an awful boring world if we all took threads started on Boards so seriously....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

Cannibal girls - Eugene Levy as a hippie.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭sillo

Ms Congeniality.
    I honestly cannot help but enjoy that damn movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,997 ✭✭✭✭bnt

sillo wrote: »
    Ms Congeniality.
    Join the club! It has some great comedy of all sorts - wordplay (getting "chip-faced"), slapstick (high heels, self-defense), scenery-munching (Candice Bergen vs William Shatner), and more. Pity the sequel was such a dog, but hey ...

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

Masters Of The Universe, the slashed budget meant most of it was set on 80's earth but its a ton of fun, and Frank Langella is immense as Skeletor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,805 ✭✭✭jammstarr

Rambo III, Last Action Hero, Big Trouble in Little China. Clearly I like explosions and cheese :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭saintsaltynuts

Ghostbusters 2,Crocodile Dundee 2.

krudler wrote: »
    Masters Of The Universe, the slashed budget meant most of it was set on 80's earth but its a ton of fun, and Frank Langella is immense as Skeletor.

It's his favorite role and one he told me that he wished he could have played again. I had him recite many of the lines to me when I met him a few years back,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

It's his favorite role and one he told me that he wished he could have played again. I had him recite many of the lines to me when I met him a few years back,

That's brilliant!

thats supremely awesome. He has a great entrance too, marching into Castle Greyskull like an absolute badass. I'd love a big budget MOTU movie, done on the same scale as something like the Asgard scenes in Thor, it'd so work.

jammstarr wrote: »
    Rambo III, Last Action Hero, Big Trouble in Little China. Clearly I like explosions and cheese :D

Last Action Hero was years ahead of its time, love that movie. and BTILC is just one of the most fun movies ever to watch, its got everything! Jack Burton ftw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Blimey O'Reilly you must be a gas at parties. ;) "today we'll be discussing Penny Marshalls 'Big' with particular emphasis on the unspoken subtext of paedophilia and the damaging effects of wish fulfilment"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 eleven1

i totally agree with you , people have different tastes & that what makes us special (not just me :p) everyone one if us is unique & has his own ideolgy & way of understanding what life throw at us .
    in my case i will say i like cartoons watch them all the time with the kids .

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,268 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

krudler wrote: »
    this tbh,if you like a movie you like a movie, shouldnt matter what its about or who its aimed at, in the spirit of the thread though mine is probably Mean Girls, its way funnier and smarter than it should be, and its one of the best teen comedies ever. so there.

Its an incredible disservice to the awesomeness of Mean Girls to call it a guilty pleasure! :D

I agree with what you said, but if I were to refer to something as a guilty pleasure it would be a movie that I can acknowledge its flaws yet appreciate it. With that in mind out of recent years I would consider Hot Rod to be a guilty pleasure. it may have been disjointed and extremely hit and miss but I laughed my ass off for the majority of the running time. Cool beans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭wayfarers

Mad Max 3. Gotta love that theme tune also.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Led Zeppelin The Clash

Caligula

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

Any Given Sunday all day long for me. It's so over the top it's insane and I know there are sone major problems with it but none of that bothers me. I love every second of it. To this day I still listen to the Al Pacino speech before I go for a run or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭dave3004

Wild Hogs.....It's so unfunny its funny !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

Mine would have to be Just Friends. Ryan Reynolds in a fat suit miming along to I Swear at the end is the best part.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Moulin Rouge

Over the top, singing, dancing, catchy tunes, what's not to like :)

I have the soundtrack on my ipod

• Registered Users Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

City Slickers 1 & 2 I can't really explain why.. they're just comforting.

Michael Collins is another one when I come in locked and feel all rebelious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

sillo wrote: »
    Ms Congeniality.
    I fupping love that movie hahaha.

Don't know should I mention this but sure feck it.
    I love grease. The both of them. Grease 2 I could almost say word for word hahahaha.
    / takes off biker gear and cries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

One more

Dirty Dancing

Patrick Swayze the very definition of cool :cool:
    Like the soundtrack too, especially that Hungry Eyes song

Give me music and dancing in a film and a good chance I'll enjoy it
    Singing in the Rain with Gene Kelly for example but that's a well recognized film, hardly a guilty pleasure

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

mikemac1 wrote: »
    One more

Dirty Dancing

Nobody puts baby in the corner.
    love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

mikemac1 wrote: »
    One more

Dirty Dancing

Give me music and dancing in a film and a good chance I'll enjoy it
    Singing in the Rain with Gene Kelly for example but that's a well recognized film, hardly a guilty pleasure

Doesn't he have sex with an underage girl?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭Skinfull

jammstarr wrote: »

This should not be a guilty pleasure! That movie is AWESOME!!! :cool:

For me its gotta be the musicals! Prefer the old ones but quite like the newer ones too like Hairspray with Christpher Walken and John Travolta!

Also dance / rhythm movies, like Drum Line, Stomp The Yard. I cant get enough of these. :D

Advertisement