Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guilty Pleasure Film

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭Renn

adox wrote: »
    No, not if he doesn't feel guilty about it.

Well the use of the word 'trashy' would say to me otherwise. Trashy tends to be something of not very good quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

Renn wrote: »
    Well the use of the word 'trashy' would say to me otherwise. Trashy tends to be something of not very good quality.

True but doesn't mean it's a guilty pleasure though does it? Maybe the thread could be re-titled "films you think are crap but still enjoy". :D

I do realise I am getting a pedantic over the whole thing so I'll stop now. It's just a bit of a bug bear of mine - guilty pleasure. Had a similar thread in the music forum and it just came across as snobbery, people liking certain music acts but too "cool" to openly admit it and hide under the guise of a guilty pleasure.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭Renn

Ha yeah, I don't take the term too seriously - I think people just use it instead of "films you think are crap but still enjoy". I'll happily openly admit Freddy Got Fingered is one of my favourite comedies. But at the same time I can see that it's trash.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,104 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Some of Jerry Lewis' films, utter crap but reminds me of been a kid and cracking up laughing at his pratfalls.

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭oxygen

This thread was cool until adox and Darko started to get all anal about it. Guilty pleasure is a widely understood term, and thats what were talking about.

My guilty pleasure is Venom. Quality B Movie material that got a Rotten Tomatoes average of 8% positive. Its class, monster that shoots snakes out of his hands, lives in a coffin in a crypt, Louisiana etc etc, plenty of other really cool things that make it great fun to watch, check it out.

http://youtu.be/mV5hAMBWpYo

• Advertisement

Renn wrote: »
    i.e. somewhat of a guilty pleasure.

I think that for somethign to be classified as a guilty pleasure you have to be ashamed of liking it. When it comes to cinema and the subjective nature of all art for that matter its ridicolous for anyone to be ashamed of enjoying something.

There are many films I love that I would classify as trash, all those low budget Philippines shot action films of the 80s. Each and everyone of them is a ridicolous blend of over the top action, atrocious acting wiht bad dubbing and the cheapest fx work imaginable yet I can't help but love them without a hint of shame.

' LOVE ACTUALLY!!'

not into 'chick flicks' or even feel good xmas movies and to be fair i
    would never admit in company, but love this movie!!

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Phuckitt

"Awakenings"

Would watch iy over and over again

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Remember the Titans

"Left side......Strong Side!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Bad Panda

I've no shame in saying that The 'Burbs is one of my all time favourites for the 'rewatchability' factor!!

It's such a fun movie. The whole tone of the film is perfectly executed IMO.

• Advertisement
Advertisement