Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can you claim VHI excess on revenue,help please

• 27-12-2011 6:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32

I have VHI plan B and have never made a claim on it until this year when I have had major expenses.I know there is a E300 excess before VHI pay towards everyday expenses.I have well exceeded this.I'm wondering if the E300 can be claimed on revenue as VHI do not cover this?.Thanks for any advice.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭WalterMitty

SarahH2O wrote: »
    I have VHI plan B and have never made a claim on it until this year when I have had major expenses.I know there is a E300 excess before VHI pay towards everyday expenses.I have well exceeded this.I'm wondering if the E300 can be claimed on revenue as VHI do not cover this?.Thanks for any advice.
    Whatever your total medical expenses total for year is you subtract from that figure what VHI reimburse you for. Then you claim on that lower figure from revenue at 20% ( i think its 20%, used to be marginal rate but think only 20% now)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

Here's a link to revenue's site for info
    http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/it/leaflets/it6.html

and here's the Med1 form you fill in:
    http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/it/forms/med1.pdf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 750 ✭✭✭broker2008

Yes you can. Your Med 1 form will ask for the total amount you have paid out LESS the amount paid out by private health insurance LESS €100 excess and 20% tax relief.

Just so you are aware, there are very little outpatient benefits under Plan B (HealthPlus Access).

There is an outpatient excess of €300 per person.

- if you visit a consultant and consultant costs €200, €39 of that €200 is allowable against the €300 excess
    - if you visit a physiotherapist or GP , only €13 of the cost of the visit is allowable against the €300 excess
    - up to 50% of agreed charges in an approved out-patient centre for a pathology/radiology test towards the excess.

If you think you will have lots of putpatient expenses or visits to doctor, you might like to look at alternative plans when your renewal comes up.

VHI are now saying on their renewal notices that you must change your plan in ADVANCE of the renewal date and have only 14 days AFTER the renewal date to cancel the plan and if you do cancel your plan and you return to VHI within 13 weeks the cover will be backdated to the old renewal date.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 SarahH2O

Thanks very much for the replies,it all helps at the moment.Definitely learned this year how bad plan B is for outpatient expenses.Will have to look into a better policy.Thanks again.

Advertisement