Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Client not providing information

Options
  • 27-12-2011 6:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭

Hi,

I finished a re design for a client according to all their specifications. They paid me a 50% deposit after seeing the draft. They were very happy with it and I turned it into a great website on my own server. I added all required products to the ecommerce side of the site and it's ready to go live.

It's now 2 months asking for FTP details to upload it to their existing webspace. I barely get a response after trying many times to contact them after asking for the same details again and again. Once they included me as a CC in an email to their hosting provider.

Any advice on what to do ?

I just want to give them the final product, get paid and not work with them again.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭unnameduser

Give them a call. Maybe they are swamped with work and have put you on the long finger or alternatively maybe they are strapped for cash and cant afford to finish the job.

Either way call them and see what's the problem. Its too easy to ignore an email.

Best of luck with it.

• Company Representative Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭TheCostumeShop.ie: Ronan

Arrange a three way call with the host and the client, get the permissions and sign off.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Yurple

I have tried calling and they are either not available, in a meeting or they are "on it! will call or email you back today with the information"

This is very strange.. I asked for a 50% deposit to avoid situations like this. I really do not understand. The work is very high standard, everything they asked for and added in a lot of extra's free of charge which makes the website looks a lot better and function in the professional manner they require --- they just dont seem to be bothered finishing it.

• Company Representative Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭TheCostumeShop.ie: Ronan

You could always just send them in a USB key with the work on it and a step by step guide of how to upload it, then bill for the remaining half explaining the work has been completed and you will be available to assist in making it live for the next 30 days, so put the ball in their court.

It's nothing personal, they are probably under a lot of pressure with the Gov insisting on a VAT change during THEIR holidays and so much pressure that businesses are under to make ends meet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭jetsonx

Yurple wrote: »
    Hi,

I barely get a response after trying many times to contact them after asking for the same details again and again. .

How have you being trying to contact them?

If the answer is "email", just phone them or better still pay them a personal
    visit to their office.

There comes a time when email becomes a useless form of communication.
    Find out where they are at and more importantly give them a deadline on which to act upon.

Admittedly, the first week in January is not the week to be doing this. Try doing this mid-Jan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭bobbytables

In your future terms, specify payment dates. If you simply say payment on completion/deployment & the process has some dependency on them, then the day you get paid will be unpredictable and will screw your cash flow.

Some clients will be all enthusiastic starting a project, dictating requirements, etc, but ask them to make necessary decisions, supply content, access details etc, they will do anything but. Some need your help because they don't understand one login to the next for all the services they have. So ask them is it a problem?. At the end of the day you have to sell the benefits of them carrying out the final task within a short timeframe.

If you're getting nowhere just go in and get ur money. They won't be take long then to give you FTP access.

USB idea is a good one unless you specified live deployment is part of the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,800 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

Just don't take it personally. There is no slight on your work. Maybe they are a bit screwed up or something. Maybe there is some other problem.

Anyway, the thing to do is to get the invoice in. Do this in the nicest possible way, but just get it in, and try to collect the money. As suggested, you might burn a copy onto a cd, and drop it by the office when you are bringing in the invoice. Don't burn any bridges, be as nice as you can. If the issue of delivery comes up, just stand ready to deliver. If they don't want to pay the full amount, suggest that you might bill for a further 25 percent now, bill a further 15 percent in two weeks and 10 percent in 45 days time, if that makes it easier for them.

Remember, these guys are good customers, they've paid 50 percent up front, they are obviously reasonably serious, they may just be messed up.

See if you can work with the hosting company directly. Do you need them to write you a letter granting you permission to access the account? If this is what you need, just ask them nicely for it.

It might be worth putting something on paper to report on the status of the project. Remember, this is all good news with this project, and the trick now is to make them feel good about paying the bill for a job well done.

Thanks all for the reply.

The problem is I cant move in any direction without the FTP info because the website is fully designed and also developed on my server. I just have to port it over to their webspace. I cant invoice them because I cant deliver the final product without the FTP details. I tried calling, emailing, and snail mail.

I also said many times I can go after the FTP details if they give me the name of the company. I just needed the hosting companies name because I can then explain the situation and acquire more information from the hosting company on the best solution.

Nothing.

It was suppose to be a long term thing with me updating the website when needed and I also provide them with lifetime ticket support via my website. I just want to deliver the final product and move on, not work with the client from hell again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

Thanks all for the reply.

The problem is I cant move in any direction without the FTP info because the website is fully designed and also developed on my server. I just have to port it over to their webspace. I cant invoice them because I cant deliver the final product without the FTP details. I tried calling, emailing, and snail mail.

I also said many times I can go after the FTP details if they give me the name of the company. I just needed the hosting companies name because I can then explain the situation and acquire more information from the hosting company on the best solution.

Nothing.

It was suppose to be a long term thing with me updating the website when needed and I also provide them with lifetime ticket support via my website. I just want to deliver the final product and move on, not work with the client from hell again.

One word answer:

Invoice

You can prove that you completed due diligence in trying to finish the project, but you can't be expected to wait forever for the want of ftp details.

Would it be possible for you to get onto their webhost and get details on their behalf? Have the client authorise you via email to get ftp details, and forward same to webhost support. You can then bypass the client bottleneck.

Lesson is, always get ftp details up front before starting, or always use a subdomain off the clients own site! dev.clientdomain.ie?

"Lesson is, always get ftp details up front before starting, or always use a subdomain off the clients own site! dev.clientdomain.ie?"

I definitely learned this lesson! I never had this problem before and I have had many many many clients.

It was a redesign for an existing website and they wanted to introduce an ecommerce area... I just visited their website and it says:
    Account Suspended
    This hosting account has been suspended.
    If you are the account owner please contact us via the helpdesk - http://www.hostingprovidername.com - to resolve this matter.

Do not phone Sales regarding suspensions, please use the helpdesk as instructed.
    I wrote hostingprovidername.com myself as I do not want to promote anything or write anything against the Boards rules.

Will i phone my client and tell them I seen this message and I can arrange hosting for them? Or does this mean they are totally out of money and gone? This is so weird?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭bobbytables

Will i phone my client and tell them I seen this message and I can arrange hosting for them? Or does this mean they are totally out of money and gone? This is so weird?
    They are either wholly incompetent, don't care anymore or have serious financial troubles. None of those are reasons why you shouldn't be looking to get your money, NOW!.

Listen you can't let their inaction at any stage prevent you from getting paid. It's common to have clients tell you on day one that they need a new site developed and online within a few days, yet take months to contribute what's needed. Clients don't always understand that their input is crucial and will allow delays, not because they don't know what to do, but lack the knowledge of how to go about doing it. Level with them, instead of continuing to asking for the FTP details at this stage, demand to be paid, as they are simply obstructing your progress. The longer this goes on, the closer to zero your hourly rate becomes.

Do not give them the site on any format until you have been paid, USB, CD, online host, etc.

Every project has 3 main parts.
    1. The work to be done
    2. The time allowed
    3. The fee
    The client will always want to increase the first 2, and reduce the 3rd after the project starts, and if you allow any of those to move, you're losing out. You have to think of of the second one as a fixed date. It's in the client's best interests to stick the schedule too, as it's the only way for them to get what they asked for on day one. If you went over time and left the client waiting you would get slaps pretty quick. So why is this any different, you have an agreement (a 1, 2, 3), don't you?.

You wouldn't stand for it if you worked on a team for a company, and then didn't get paid at the end of the month because another team member didn't do something.

Advertisement