Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SFX

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭ned rierson

holly8 wrote: »
    OMG Ned?? is that u? or is it Dee Dee??

not me. it is indeed dee dee. the picture is in monte melnicks book about da brudders

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭argentum

Howard Jones
    Simple minds
    Imagination
    thomson twins

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

violenza wrote: »
    Some great memories from the SFX such a shame it's gone!!!

f6ce86a6.jpg

Forgot about that Foo Fighters gig, i was at that one too. Great stubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Irish Halo

peter1892 wrote: »
    It seemed like it was a big church hall with a huge stage...maybe it was. Good memories though!
    SFX - St Francis Xavier hall

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭poundhound

I've seen Kings X, Queensryche, Alice in Chains, Suede, The Black Crowes, Iron Maiden and Stone Temple Pilots there.

I remember going to the Nicko McBrain drum clinic there in 1989. When he came out on stage he looked around and said, "Jesus, this is some toilet".
    Little did he know Maiden would be playing there 6 years later.

U2 also filmed the video for Pride there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭holly8

not me. it is indeed dee dee. the picture is in monte melnicks book about da brudders

ah hah! thanks for that!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭peter1892

Irish Halo wrote: »
    SFX - St Francis Xavier hall

Indeed - in fact I was once reprimanded by an elderly gentleman who reminded me that it was the 'Saint Francis EX-avier Hall' (say it in a Dublin accent!) and not the 'SFX' :D:o

Just as well I didn't tell him I was going to see a band called 'Judas Priest' - on an Easter Sunday as well...

• Registered Users Posts: 38,397 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

What do parish halls get nowadays ???

Richie Kavanagh/The local Kids Choir

Must of been cool to be a concert goer in the 80's, early 90's

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭eoin1981

was in it once. counting crows mar 2000. good gig but a little short.

does anyone know where exactly the sfx building is/was. i looked for it one day but wasn't too sure. is it around temple street/temple theatre area?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,643 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Been to a few gigs there over the years.

Slayer - twice I think(nearly got f***ing mashed to pieces at one gig during Raining Blood)
    Sepultura
    Pantera - with COC supporting.
    Paradise Lost(met them after the gig - they were cool, but totally wasted).

Also saw bands such as Machine Head(headlining and supporting Slayer - same gig as the Downset one), and Tool. Saw a load of other bands who I can't remember atm.

• Advertisement

eoin1981 wrote: »
    does anyone know where exactly the sfx building is/was. i looked for it one day but wasn't too sure. is it around temple street/temple theatre area?

Here it is:
    http://g.co/maps/pzzpk

Go into street view, have a look around and you'll see a modern office/apartment block - that's the site of the SFX.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

I remember being shocked in how small the place was when I went there for the first time at age 14. My only other experience of a gig had been as a 10 year old going to see Chris de Burgh at the RDS Simmonscourt with my mother (yes, I am still scarred).

So from that and from seeing concerts on tv and videos I was expecting this massive hall but when I walked in the place was tiny, even smaller than my school hall. Anyone know the rough dimensions of the standing area or what the capacity was?

I didn't go but I also remember some wrestling event there some time in the 90's. It wasn't WWF but one of the smaller brands. I presumed they took the stage out but even then, with the size of the ring there must have been room for only a few rows of seats. Anyone gonna own up to being at this?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

I've just seen the Smashing Pumpkins ticket in the earlier posted photo. They played two shows in the SFX in 1995. Ash supported them one night, and I think Whipping Boy did the other. The last event I was at there was Chad Smith's pre-Slane "drum clinic" with Taylor Hawkins and Mark Richardson.

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Rewind Festival, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Henry Winkler, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, ABBA Voyage, St. Vincent, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Billie Eilish (x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭Nea

Ah great memories of the SFX and the offie on the corner beside it.
    Fecked up my leg crowd surfing in there too.
    I saw some great bands there and tbh most of the gigs were great, it was an awful kip all the same.

Alice In Chains
    Pantera
    The Almighty/Warrior Soul
    Korn
    Anthrax
    Megadeth
    Machine Head
    Placebo
    Paradise Lost
    Type O Negative

• Registered Users Posts: 4,861 ✭✭✭RayCon

My funniest memory of the SFX was being at Mamas Boys gig back in 85-86ish and a bloke in front of us in the crowd had a denim jacket with :

"Whitestick - Forevery and every" on the back .... to make matters worse, it was written in black marker on yellow gaff tape that had been stuck onto his jacket.

It was either his mates winding him up or a very low IQ individual

RayCon wrote: »
    My funniest memory of the SFX was being at Mamas Boys gig back in 85-86ish and a bloke in front of us in the crowd had a denim jacket with :

"Whitestick - Forevery and every" on the back .... to make matters worse, it was written in black marker on yellow gaff tape that had been stuck onto his jacket.

It was either his mates winding him up or a very low IQ individual

give me a break. i was young :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

RayCon wrote: »
    My funniest memory of the SFX was being at Mamas Boys gig back in 85-86

Was that when they were supporting Thin Lizzy on the Thunder and Lightning tour? I used to have a great recording of that gig. It was broadcast on Radio Nova or some station like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Midnight organ

Where was the sfx? Been looking through some amazing sets that got played in that venue..wow :0

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

Here it is... (was)

7275918.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Midnight organ

Tanks for that! Asked my Dad about it and showed him this picture and I got a full nostalgic history on the place haha..so cool!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,643 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Here it is... (was)

7275918.jpg

What street was it on?

peter1892 wrote: »
    Here it is:
    http://g.co/maps/pzzpk

Go into street view, have a look around and you'll see a modern office/apartment block - that's the site of the SFX.

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭holly8

Where was the sfx? Been looking through some amazing sets that got played in that venue..wow :0

WOW is right!! the good ole days

handy off licence across the road. great times

• Registered Users Posts: 4,861 ✭✭✭RayCon

Was that when they were supporting Thin Lizzy on the Thunder and Lightning tour? I used to have a great recording of that gig. It was broadcast on Radio Nova or some station like that.

Nah although I was at one of those Lizzy gig in the RDS (my first ever gig *sniff*)

Mama's Boys played a couple headliner shows in the SFX during the 80's .. was at 2 of them at least ... Power and Passion Tour was definitely one of them cos I had a sweatshirt from it ...

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭eoin1981

Here it is... (was)

7275918.jpg

excellent. when was it taken?
    Its all apartments there now.

eoin1981 wrote: »
    excellent. when was it taken?
    Its all apartments there now.

No idea actually - Google found that for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭p

Ahh the SFX, that brings me back.

Saw Offspring(Jan 99) & Kula Shaker(Jan 97) there iirc.

Some gig listings here:
    http://www.last.fm/venue/8886609+SFX

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Buford Tannen

Nea wrote: »
    Ah great memories of the SFX and the offie on the corner beside it.
    Fecked up my leg crowd surfing in there too.
    I saw some great bands there and tbh most of the gigs were great, it was an awful kip all the same.

Alice In Chains
    Pantera
    The Almighty/Warrior Soul
    Korn
    Anthrax
    Megadeth
    Machine Head
    Placebo
    Paradise Lost
    Type O Negative

Was at a few of those gigs myself

Does anyone remember the sepultura gig there i think around 92,that was a rough crowd

Advertisement