Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So I wanna make dance music...

Options
  • 27-12-2011 7:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭

Hello, new to the forum. Basically I'm a 16 year old lad interested in making dance music, but I have basically no clue about how I should go about this.

I have been interested in music all my life. I have played guitar, both electric and acoustic, for the last 5 years, and I'm always singing or rapping around the house :o

I mainly listen to rap and dance music, however. My favourite dance genres include house, trance and electro, though I'm down for whatever.

Artists that have influenced me/I've been interested in a range of different genres include Avicii, Afrojack, Deadmau5, Tiesto, Kid Cudi and Drake, among numerous others.

I think I should pick it up quite easily as I have a good ear for music and I'm very comfortable with computers, but I need advice on how I should start.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

Well you'll need a digital audio workstation (DAW) first of all. This is where everything comes together. You can edit, arrange and apply effects or mastering. So basically all the high level stuff when creating a trace.

Logic, Ableton, FlStudio, Reason; there's a lot of them and you'll have to find one you like.

Most audio effects come as plugins which the DAW will use. You'll need to get decent quality plugins for decent quality sound but there are a lot of good free ones also.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

If you have the funds, do a course, even an introductory course. You need to learn how to use your software to create the sounds you hear in your head. If you do a course you can eliminate months of frustration as you try to figure out how to use your DAW.

You have an advantage being a musician, lots of guys who set out to learn how to make dance tunes end up knowing their DAW backwards but still not understanding music, you already have one up on those guys.

Advertisement