Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[TOR] Somebody please tell me bioware know what they are doin

Options
  • 27-12-2011 7:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭

Well its all over the starwars forum EU guys complaining about this maintenance that goes from 10am till 6:30pm on a holiday!! this was a good move?they couldnt wait to do it tomorrow? or do it at a earlier time in us time?

so im at home 2 hours now waiting for servers to come up,ive been launching the game every 15 mins while i watch tv and finally the servers are up but im 800 in the que lmao :) so now 1 hour wait time for me :(

this whole its a new game excuse the star wars fanboys keep throwing out is only gonna go so far

edit: great slicing got nerfed :( i didnt get a proper chance to build up a stack of cash coz of all the ques and stuff :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭jeawan

CyberJuice wrote: »
    Well its all over the starwars forum EU guys complaining about this maintenance that goes from 10am till 6:30pm on a holiday!! this was a good move?they couldnt wait to do it tomorrow? or do it at a earlier time in us time?

so im at home 2 hours now waiting for servers to come up,ive been launching the game every 15 mins while i watch tv and finally the servers are up but im 800 in the que lmao :) so now 1 hour wait time for me :(

this whole its a new game excuse the star wars fanboys keep throwing out is only gonna go so far

edit: great slicing got nerfed :( i didnt get a proper chance to build up a stack of cash coz of all the ques and stuff :(

You ever played any other MMo's ? you'll learn that most go by US time and not EU always have , as for the downtime well if they fixing a big problem like they are then fine i don't mind that .

• Registered Users Posts: 10,746 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

800th in a queue on an overcrowded server, ye always have the option to play on a light server too.

Its not really surprising that the servers have queues with it being the holiday season and the fact that servers only came back up after an extended maintenance an hour ago.

I'm as miffed as you about it, but it wont give you those hours back and neither will bioware or ea. If its consistantly like that we've always got the option to vote with our wallets and quit subscriptions.
    Anyways.. i'd rather be playing this than paying 15 quid a month to sit in orgrimmar doing sweet fcuk all :D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Most actually allow for our Euro timezone and try to have maintenance in the early hours per timezone.
    What bioware done today is nothing short of idiotic and a blatant lack of respect for their European players.
    Today was the first day in ages i actually had time to play for more than 30 mins so yeah im a tad pissed i couldnt play a game i paid for and subscribe for on a national holiday.
    Its not just the OP complaining its allover the net on pretty much every swtor community and rightly so.
    I dont buy this attitude that every mmo is the same, simply untrue.
    Anyways.. i'd rather be playing this than paying 15 quid a month to sit in orgrimmar doing sweet fcuk all

HAHA this is so true :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭Jimbob 83

All mmo's have downtime like this, it's needed to ensure you have the best experience possible.

Makes me laugh when people complain about Bioware in general chat because they are being denied a game the obviously love which wouldn't be possible without Bioware :p

Such silly kids

Jimbob 83 wrote: »
    All mmo's have downtime like this, it's needed to ensure you have the best experience possible.

Nobody denies that but their timing is the issue and the fact they ignore the european timezone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭Jimbob 83

Dcully wrote: »
    Nobody denies that but their timing is the issue and the fact they ignore the european timezone.

This has always been the case, just be glad that we are on the same patch, in an mmo i used to play EU was always 2-3 patches behind US

Jimbob 83 wrote: »
    This has always been the case, just be glad that we are on the same patch, in an mmo i used to play EU was always 2-3 patches behind US

Any mmo ive played in the last 5 years have done their best to apply patches and maintenance during the early hours offpeak hours, ofcourse there are limits to this but in general they have all atleast tried to accomodate us European players, bioware have just ignored us on this occasion, there is no excuse for it.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Patching till 4pm is just stupid, especially when they said they thought it might go past that time. It's almost an entire day during the holiday period that a lot of people weren't able to play. It's either bad planning, or they just screwed up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Maybe Irish team isn't fully up to scratch yet to deploy patches. They need to sort this

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Yeah, hopefully it's just an 'Its my first day' type scenario, and won't be like this in the future.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

In fairness, Bioware have had downtime previously which hit the US but not EU, in particular when the servers went down at 7pm EST (2am here) the night that early access ended.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

I'm pretty sure they knew what they're doing - I'd imagine that they wanted a global takedown so that they wouldn't have people trying to cram themselves across onto the other servers, and kerfuffle. Downside to the fact that there's no disconnect between US and EU copies of the game.

They probably examined the usage times and found a 6 hour period with the minimum people logged on, so middle of the night US and morning and early afternoon here, and then went for then. They advertised it well ahead of time, and made it clear from the outset that it might take longer than advertised. Something clearly went wrong, and it did, which had the unfortunate effect of driving into EU peak time.

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭Omphin

Blowfish wrote: »
    In fairness, Bioware have had downtime previously which hit the US but not EU, in particular when the servers went down at 7pm EST (2am here) the night that early access ended.

as long as it not always suiting the americans then im happy. i would expect us to share the downtime at early mornings

• Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Ziycon

It doesn't bother me at all that the maintenance period was extended, I would rather a couple more hours of maintenance then weeks of servers crashing and bugs/bots all over the place.
    Based on rumour on the net as to the issues that where being worked on, I really have no issues with the extra time being taken to fix them.

Ziycon wrote: »
    It doesn't bother me at all that the maintenance period was extended, I would rather a couple more hours of maintenance then weeks of servers crashing and bugs/bots all over the place.
    Based on rumour on the net as to the issues that where being worked on, I really have no issues with the extra time being taken to fix them.

What rumours?

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭RichieD

Ziycon wrote: »

Thats not the point.

The point is they could have done the mainteenance on Wednesday instead which is not a public holiday in most of the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Ziycon

If the issue is urgent enough it doesn't matter what day it is in any religious calendar, the fact is the issue had to be fixed so it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭Ivan

From what I've been told, the servers are in the US still and as a result the maintenance periods are not ideal for eurozone players.

Unfortunately, it seems likely to continue this way for some time to come. :(

As for Bioware knowing what they are doing; I think their past record speaks volumes for that. Not least of which is after a year of Warhammer failing miserable - the 2nd in command of Bioware was brought in as the new CEO for Mythic and voila - instant patch to fix the majority of technical issues followed by the largest content patch, bringing the game to the level a triple A title has to be at..

I strongly suspect Star Wars:TOR will be one of the better handled MMOs of the past few years.

I thought EU servers were in Ireland?

I thought EU servers were in Ireland?
    Yep, they are. As far as I can tell, they are actually sitting in the INEX datacentres in Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

Blowfish wrote: »
    Yep, they are. As far as I can tell, they are actually sitting in the INEX datacentres in Dublin.
    inex is an exchange, but the servers would be peering at INEX (99.?% of internet traffic in Ireland peers there)

Fuzzy wrote: »
    inex is an exchange, but the servers would be peering at INEX (99.?% of internet traffic in Ireland peers there)
    Interxion's DUB1 and DUB2 are for all intents and purposes within INEX's infrastructure.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

CyberJuice wrote: »

Not so much Star Wars fanboys (don't like them much myself) but people who've gone through half a dozen MMO launches before this and know what to expect. Queues are extremely annoying but they're a fact of life if you want to play on a busy server at launch. Give it a month and populations will be more stable and queues will be rare on all but the busiest of servers and only then at peak times.

Short answer: if queues are really ruining for you reroll on a lightly populated server until things calm down.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Another drop the ball issue in my book and essentially due to the fact that servers arnt region locked.

Most subcribers are from the US so we will very much be dealing on their terms for resets etc etc.

But having a maintenance during the daytime is epic fail. While yes there was some issues, unless I'm sorely mistaken, maintenance does not finish until 4PM every Tuesday GMT.

While you may factor something only small, its a serious nuisance. And while you may assume people are in work, school, there is plenty who are not.

I'll say two things about any server maintenance

1) You perform it during the low traffic hours ( aka. 2am-8am)
    2) If it takes you more then 5 hours to perform maintenance, you need to look at your server staff.

Servers are based in Dublin and Texas. Why not have two seperate maintenances for each server set? Like, only a ****tard wouldnt realise it isnt "one" team doing the maintenance, its remotely done, or by physical prescene on site. But I'd imagine there are teams assigned to each.

So why cant the Dublin servers be done at night, since they govern EU timezones?

Really it just annoys me the simple, basic, obvious stuff thats been ****ed up on. While the game "hopes" to be around for years, cant but feel its had a poor start.

I wont even get into the amount of bugs that have utterly wasted hours of my time : /

TheDoc wrote: »
    Really it just annoys me the simple, basic, obvious stuff thats been ****ed up on. While the game "hopes" to be around for years, cant but feel its had a poor start.

I wont even get into the amount of bugs that have utterly wasted hours of my time : /

This is how I feel at the moment. Frustrated by a game that had a lot of potential but I think was wasted by rushing and doing a half assed job.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

This is how I feel at the moment. Frustrated by a game that had a lot of potential but I think was wasted by rushing and doing a half assed job.

Sup EA...Bioware were never known to rush out games in the past, conviniantly enough when EA took over we say some rushed titles with epic problems.

Not pointing the finger, just a coincidental point..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭oxo_

You spelt EA wrong, it's spelt €A.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,911 ✭✭✭nix

To expect anything different from a EA game would be silly, i was the first to say it would be bug ridden and rushed out the first moment i seen EA's name connected to it. But its up to bioware to iron out the issues, just give them the time to do that and the game will get alot smoother and better as it goes on i predict.

From my experience playing beta however, it seems alot are making a mountain out of a molehill, its not that bad and certainly well playable.

I am surprised they didnt split the servers by region though, however im currently in canada at the moment so it works in my favour to play with people from back home ;D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭Dohnny Jepp

I thought it was the best launch I'd ever experienced. I have issues with the game to some degree, like I'm sure everyone does. However, I can't understand how people are saying it's a poor launch.

• Advertisement
  • Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

They have done some things wrong but it has been good and I'm enjoying it. Been through a few launches from the days of Everquest and Ultima (I R Old :( ) to Warhammer and Rift. This one hasnt been too bad.

Considering we'll be paying full whack for it a month, I will be expecting some better communication, which at the moment is poor. Not to mention free DLC.

So far I'm enjoying it for what it is, an RPG where I can group with my mates rather than Massively Multiplayer.

DeV.

Advertisement