Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sony E-Reader

Options
  • 27-12-2011 8:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭

I'd asked for an Amazon Kindle for Christmas and got a Sony PRS-T1 instead. :rolleyes:

Can I use ebooks from Amazon on my Sony eReader?

I buy my physical books from Amazon.co.uk and I'd like to buy my ebooks from the same site. I'm really picky about the websites I use my credit card on and don't want to use it on sites that I've never heard of before.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭flyaway.

No, the format is different. You need epub books.

You can buy on Easons, Waterstones and The Book Depository, for example. And you can get free classics on Project Gutenberg.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭bduffy

You got a better deal I'm my opinion.
    Sony have a store, but you can use conversion software to change any books for the kindle. Calibre is probably the best conversion tool. alternatively you can source ebooks from several free sites (legally) but they will be older than those on Amazon.

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭x_Ellie_x

bduffy wrote: »
    You got a better deal I'm my opinion.
    Sony have a store, but you can use conversion software to change any books for the kindle. Calibre is probably the best conversion tool. alternatively you can source ebooks from several free sites (legally) but they will be older than those on Amazon.

I checked the Sony.ie website but they refered me to the sites they were partnered with... Waterstones, WHSmith, Easons, Book Depository, etc, but those sites are very expense compared with Amazon's prices for the same ebooks. Those sites are way out of my price range.

I've hadn't heard of Calibre before. Is that a free program or do you have to buy it?

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭bduffy

Yep it's free. I don't have the link but Google will solve that. The Gutenberg suggestion is well worth checking out. Pdf format, txt, rtf (.doc) all work on the Ereader too.

I brought it back to the shop this morning and exchanged it for the Kindle 4... Yay!!! :D:D I can still get the free classics on Kindle and the ebooks are much cheaper than those on the Book Depository, Easons, Waterstones, etc. Plus the fan fic downloader program I have only works with the kindle so I'm happy now. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭passarellaie

x_Ellie_x wrote: »
    I brought it back to the shop this morning and exchanged it for the Kindle 4... Yay!!! :D:D I can still get the free classics on Kindle and the ebooks are much cheaper than those on the Book Depository, Easons, Waterstones, etc. Plus the fan fic downloader program I have only works with the kindle so I'm happy now. :)

Enjoy but I woudl say you have made a mistake when Sony reader store opens it will be very competitive with Amazon and you will have the ability to buy in many stores

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

Enjoy but I woudl say you have made a mistake when Sony reader store opens it will be very competitive with Amazon and you will have the ability to buy in many stores

When will that be, 2015? And no guarantee we will be able to buy from the UK Sony Reader store either...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 pokerman123

ellie can you or someone else help me well i have brought the sony e reader for my girlfriend and she want help how to set it up so she can down load free books from e pub but needs to no what to do the ereader is the sony ti

Actually I'm very happy I exchanged the Sony T1. Like Mcgovern already said, who knows when the Sony Store will be up in operation and if Irish users will be able to buy from it due to copyright laws putting restrictions on ebooks. The stores, like Easons and Waterstones, that the Sony website refer you to are much too expensive. I love my Kindle. I can get cheap ebooks from Amazon - in fact I managed to get hold of a few ebooks from there that I've been wanting to read for ages but couldn't because they were out of print. The screen is perfect on the Kindle (I found the screen on the T1 very annoying). I can still buy epub books on other sites and convert them into mobi using Calibre and read them on my Kindle. I know your going to argue that I could have kept the Sony eReader and brought books on Amazon and converted them but this would have been impossible because Amazon don't let you buy ebooks from their site unless you already have a Kindle registered on your account.

ellie can you or someone else help me well i have brought the sony e reader for my girlfriend and she want help how to set it up so she can down load free books from e pub but needs to no what to do the ereader is the sony ti

I actually had trouble setting up the Sony T1 too when I tried to register it. It didn't have Ireland as an option and I didn't know if I choose the UK or Other. I tried Googling it but I got conflicting info. In the end I just those the UK but I'm not sure if this was the correct thing to do since I have now returned it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Kinski

x_Ellie_x wrote: »
    Amazon don't let you buy ebooks from their site unless you already have a Kindle registered on your account.

I'm almost certain that you can buy ebooks from Amazon if you have the free Kindle for PC app linked to your account. But you're better off with a Kindle than the Sony anyhow.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

I know it's been said, but you are not restricted to either the Amazon or the Sony store depending on your device - the same way you don't have to buy songs from iTunes if you have an iPod.

Calibre will convert most book formats for you.

The Sony reader supports ePub which means that there are already a ton of books available on lots of sites that don't even need to be converted.

I've owned a Sony reader for about 2 years and have used 3rd party sites like booksonboard.com without any problems. It's not the least bit complicated.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭StinkySocs

Hi

Can you use that converter thing to convert books you buy on iTunes? I just bought a few persuming you can just transfer them over...my bad!

Thanks
    SSx

StinkySocs wrote: »
    Hi

Can you use that converter thing to convert books you buy on iTunes? I just bought a few persuming you can just transfer them over...my bad!

Thanks
    SSx

You should be able to - I think iTunes uses the standard ePub format. Not sure what the deal is if they're protected though.

thanks Eoin, I'll probably be back with more questions when I get registered!:p

Just in case anyone is as clueless as me, go into your iTunes account, copy all the books you want to move, then go to ur C drive, documents and settings, and where ever your Calibre library is saved, paste them in.
    Then go to your eReader icon on ur desktop (or where ever you saved it.) Go to File, import file....and Bob's your uncle!!

Then you need to Sync it to your actual reader

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Whats the pros and cons of the Sony eReader over the Kindle. (I don't have either)

Amazon seem very good a dealing with broken/faulty kindles.

I think the newer Sony models have a touch screen, but I would rather use buttons to avoid smudging the screen.

Now you can get a Kindle without a keyboard (waste of valuable space for me), I don't know if there's any reason I'd go for a Sony over a Kindle if I had to replace mine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Whats the keyboard for?

I suppose it's for making annotations, searching the store, using the (very basic) web browser etc. I can see why people might want to do that, but it's not for me.

• Advertisement
Advertisement