Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

boards.ie's policy on depression/suicide related threads

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 41,067 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

dudara wrote: »
    I'll put my hands up here and say honestly that suicide threads scare the living bejaysus out of me.

Reason 1

At times, Personal Issues can be horribly intense on moderators. When you're a new moderator (or at least, not a cynic), you can get sucked into supporting "needy" posters. They contact you via PM, and pull you into their world. It's quite a traumatic experience.

I am not qualified to support anyone who is in need of help. More importantly, I do not want to provide direct support anyone in need of help. I want to direct them to an organisation or individual who can listen to them and diagnose and/or assist.

Reason 2

There is a horribly sick underclass of people who get their jollies from pretending to be suicidal or else posting in such as a manner as to further disturb already disturbed people. Threads cannot therefore be continued to stay open for posting.

Yes with regard to reason 2 we have had people in the LGBT forum constantly coming back making up stories about how bad their life is

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Yes with regard to reason 2 we have had people in the LGBT forum constantly coming back making up stories about how bad their life is

I would assume it's near impossible to know who's telling the truth and who is making it up, unless you have personal experience of them?

I would assume it's near impossible to know who's telling the truth and who is making it up, unless you have personal experience of them?

It is difficult yeah but I kind of know some of their traits

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Morag

There comes a point were you have to cut them off, imho.
    The forum is not a blog and posting often makes them feel they are doing something when the something they should be doing is getting real life professional help and making real life changes to their life to make it better.

Sharrow wrote: »
    There comes a point were you have to cut them off, imho.
    The forum is not a blog and posting often makes them feel they are doing something when the something they should be doing is getting real life professional help and making real life changes to their life to make it better.

There were a number of users sitebanned because of this but now there is quite a lot of unreggd users starting threads - we're looking into it - we may stop approving threads

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭Kadent

I closed my previous account because of multiple accounts that all appeared to belong to one user who initially used suicidal threats and then created another account to contact me claiming that the "other" user had committed suicide. I contacted a moderator about this at the time but I received no response, acknowledgement or direction. (this is not a dig at the mods, it concerns me as the user seemed to be from the same town as me and made reference to seeing me before, I didn't know what to do or what was going on, I stopped using the forum as I felt I had absolutely no protection here or means of doing anything about said user)
    I'm aware the user has since been banned but I'm still wary of using the forum. (lgbt)

(apologies for hijacking the thread and I know it's not relevant to the topic but if it was genuinely a case of harassment are there means of doing anything about it, would I be able to find out who it was if I wanted to make an official complaint to the authorities?)

Kadent wrote: »
    I closed my previous account because of multiple accounts that all appeared to belong to one user who initially used suicidal threats and then created another account to contact me claiming that the "other" user had committed suicide. I contacted a moderator about this at the time but I received no response, acknowledgement or direction. (this is not a dig at the mods, it concerns me as the user seemed to be from the same town as me and made reference to seeing me before, I didn't know what to do or what was going on, I stopped using the forum as I felt I had absolutely no protection here or means of doing anything about said user)
    I'm aware the user has since been banned but I'm still wary of using the forum. (lgbt)

(apologies for hijacking the thread and I know it's not relevant to the topic but if it was genuinely a case of harassment are there means of doing anything about it, would I be able to find out who it was if I wanted to make an official complaint to the authorities?)

That's an entirely separate issue and you were told several times to start a new thread in feedback or dispute resolution about this.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Morag

Kadent wrote: »

You can start a thread in help desk or you could pm one of the admins or the community manger or if you wanted to communicate with more the one of them report your own sign and use the thread it starts in the sigpo for to talk to the admins as a group in a manner which is restricted to just you and them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭Kadent

done.

Advertisement