Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC 100mb Question

• 27-12-2011 8:10pm
    Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,525 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Guys , I'm running UPC 50mb and using a Play Max N600 HD Wireless N Dual-Band Modem Router connected to the Thomson with no changes made to settings (bar switching off wireless on Thomson) My laptop has wireless LAN Max. Date Rate (Mbps)150 Mbps (RX) / 150 Mbps (TX) . Should I get faster downloads on the 100mb service . Ive just switched and while I get full speed on ethernet cable , I'm only getting 45-50 mb's on wireless .

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Thor

sharkman wrote: »
    Guys , I'm running UPC 50mb and using a Play Max N600 HD Wireless N Dual-Band Modem Router connected to the Thomson with no changes made to settings (bar switching off wireless on Thomson) My laptop has wireless LAN Max. Date Rate (Mbps)150 Mbps (RX) / 150 Mbps (TX) . Should I get faster downloads on the 100mb service . Ive just switched and while I get full speed on ethernet cable , I'm only getting 45-50 mb's on wireless .

Thanks

For Wireless N that sounds about right, You Generally don't get higher than that.

Assuming you have the router set up correctly with 40Mhz turned on, Also try turning on 5GHz mode if you haven't already, As if there are alot of Wireless networks near by, They would degrade the single. The 5GHz mode should help with that.

Just looking at some reviews of the router, It does seem that 40Mb - 50Mb is the general speed it's capable of.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,525 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

Thor wrote: »
    For Wireless N that sounds about right, You Generally don't get higher than that.

Assuming you have the router set up correctly with 40Mhz turned on, Also try turning on 5GHz mode if you haven't already, As if there are alot of Wireless networks near by, They would degrade the single. The 5GHz mode should help with that.

Just looking at some reviews of the router, It does seem that 40Mb - 50Mb is the general speed it's capable of.

Thanks for that Thor , No real point in me paying the extra €10 a month so .

Advertisement