Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mouse in rented apartment

Options
  • 27-12-2011 8:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 247 ✭✭

I was just down in my sisters house sitting in the living room when she screamed like the banshee. Nearly knocked me off the chair. She saw a mouse run under the kitchen door.
    Next thing I knew she gets the phone out and starts looking up the landlords number.
    I had a quick look for the mouse but he was hiding again.

Now she is always leaving the door open so im not surprised a mouse comes in to her lovely warm apartment. Nice meals of plates of biscuits and crumbs left out all the time too. If I was a mouse i'd be in there like a shot.

I told her to buy some traps and set them but she is insisting in getting the landlord to get the mouse.

If I was the landlord i'd tell her to get stuffed tbh. Whenever there are mice in my house i get traps and sort it out. Its noone elses fault that a mouse gets in. I really dont see the excuse for not dealing with it yourself.

Just a funny story I thought I would share. So if any landlord gets a frantic phone call about a mouse tonight, ignore it. Time she learned to deal with these things :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,902 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

There is NEVER just one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 247 ✭✭CricketDude

There is NEVER just one.

So buy some traps and catch them all. Its not hard. Certainly not something you should be bothering your landlord about. Unless there is a hole in the wall they are walking through. Leave the door open even for a few minutes in this kind of weather and you will get mice in the door like a shot. Mild outside so more mice, but nicer inside so they'll move in at the first opportunity.

I usually dealt with her mice in the past, at least once every 3 years she lets them in, but I couldnt be bothered anymore. Maybe she'll learn her lesson - unless she gts her idiot landlord to think its his problem. And if that doesnt work she'll be giving my dad the sob story and he'll cave.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

To be honest with you- I'd almost be cheerful that there was a mouse in the apartment- and no reflection whatsoever on cleanliness/open doors etc- it means that you have a cast iron guarantee that there are no rats present. Mice and rats never ever share the same habitat- so, yes, you have a mousey problem, however thats the extent of it.

Personally I'd be more inclined to pop into Woodies or similar and get a few sonic deterents- which should clear the place even faster than traps etc (not to mention its more humane). Note- make sure you read the instructions- and particularly the warnings about other pets such as guinea pigs, fish etc.

Ps- why the hell is she leaving the door open?

smccarrick wrote: »
    To be honest with you- I'd almost be cheerful that there was a mouse in the apartment- and no reflection whatsoever on cleanliness/open doors etc- it means that you have a cast iron guarantee that there are no rats present. Mice and rats never ever share the same habitat- so, yes, you have a mousey problem, however thats the extent of it.

Personally I'd be more inclined to pop into Woodies or similar and get a few sonic deterents- which should clear the place even faster than traps etc (not to mention its more humane). Note- make sure you read the instructions- and particularly the warnings about other pets such as guinea pigs, fish etc.

We were born in a barn.
    She likes to air the place out a lot.
    You are right though. Its dead easy to get rid of mice, but some people just wont do it and want their landlord, brother, father to do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭odds_on

smccarrick wrote: »

If she does as smccarrick suggests, she won't even have to handle dead mice taking them out of traps.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭bernyh

We have the same problem, was solved by buying those plug in's from woodies, they were about €50.... I know they definately work because we had to unplug them this winter for the first time in 4 years because we had bought my dd a hamster. We had mice every winter before buying them, but the first year we got rid of them low and behold there was the first mice we had seen since buying them... needless to say we won't be renewing the hamster when she pops her clogs.x

we bought some traps and caught 7 in two days... touch hairy wood we haven't had any in about a week so think they are all gone, but the traps are stayin in place just incase.x

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

I've never found those plug-in deterrants to work. Last time I used one the bloody mouse came out into the room and was running around as happy as could be while the device was plugged in! :mad: Traps work well, and if you happen to have a cat, they are also good and don't require you to clean up after them (generally!)*

*Just to clarify, I'm not advocating acquiring a cat for this reason, but if you do happen to have one anyway, show them where the mouse is and leave them do their job!

convert wrote: »
    I've never found those plug-in deterrants to work. Last time I used one the bloody mouse came out into the room and was running around as happy as could be while the device was plugged in! :mad: Traps work well, and if you happen to have a cat, they are also good and don't require you to clean up after them (generally!)*

*Just to clarify, I'm not advocating acquiring a cat for this reason, but if you do happen to have one anyway, show them where the mouse is and leave them do their job!

Yeah those plug in things dont work.
    There was a program (i think it was panorama) on the tv there a couple of years ago. They went to the makers of several pro-biotics and the makers of several of these mouse deterrent things. They told them to produce the proof (as in scientifically proven to ...) and they couldnt. Notice now how noone says this anymore.

They got a scientist to test the mouse deterrents and they proved they were useless. But they make people feel good.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Monife

convert wrote: »

+1. Had 2 mice in my old apartment (in a georgian house) and plugged one of those things in and didn't get rid of them. The 2 mouse traps did though :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

+1 as well for the sonic things not working, I use it to keep the mrs happy and instead lay some traps on the quiet ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭bernyh

I really honestly think that the sonic things do work, we have lived here for 7 years, the first two winters we got mice, we then bought the sonic things and they had been plugged in non stop up until this summer when we bought the hamster.

We hadn't had any mice in the last 4 winters when the plug ins were on, then this year there were mice again... now it's not been as cold this winter as it was last year and we had no problems with mice last year... I am a firm believer that they work..

Our apartment living area is open plan and we had 4 of them plugged in around the living/kitchen also one in each bedroomx

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭mrsbouquet

bernyh wrote: »
    I really honestly think that the sonic things do work, we have lived here for 7 years, the first two winters we got mice, we then bought the sonic things and they had been plugged in non stop up until this summer when we bought the hamster.

We hadn't had any mice in the last 4 winters when the plug ins were on, then this year there were mice again... now it's not been as cold this winter as it was last year and we had no problems with mice last year... I am a firm believer that they work..

Our apartment living area is open plan and we had 4 of them plugged in around the living/kitchen also one in each bedroomx

I have 4 of these plug in things all around the house and they made me feel quite confident until last night .... lo and behold i heard a mouse and got my husband to set a few traps. wont be able to sleep until its caught. Wish to god i didnt feel like this though :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

i caught a few mice last year alive to test the sonic yokes
    they do nothing

• Registered Users Posts: 51,902 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Tigger wrote: »
    i caught a few mice last year alive to test the sonic yokes
    they do nothing

Living up to your name Tigger.

Advertisement