Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Red Hot Chili Peppers

Options
  • 27-12-2011 8:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭

What is everyone's thoughts on the future for RHCP?

Do you think they will continue to go down in popularity as they appear to be now or do you all think they still have much fight left?

I am curious to see what it will be like for their future albums without Frusciante. Admittedly I'm in a minority who is not too disappointed by the I'm With You album. Personally thought it was an above average record from the usual s*** albums you would come by on a daily basis. Some memorable tunes on it like Brendan's Death Song but like anything else it would never beat Blood Sugar Sex Magik.

Also in terms of Irish gigs I would imagine their next tour after this one will see them play the O2 in the winter again followed by the Aviva in the summer. I would love to see them do Slane again but I can't imagine this happen unless they do maybe a 20-year anniversary tour for Californication.

Also if their future albums get worse responses than what the current one got they may not be playing huge stadiums here anymore which I think would be disappointing (hence I assume they will go from playing Croker on this tour to the Aviva on the next) as they played memorable gigs here like Phoenix Park, Oxegen, Landsowne etc.

Saw them at the O2 and shall also be attending the Croke Park gig:cool:.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

They have a unique image/sound, especially with Frusciante and some memorable tunes but I don't think they're an amazing band. There is just something a bit boring about them. I like specific songs by them like Fight like a Brave, Behind the Sun, Suck my Kiss, those songs and a good few more like Around the World are great, but overall I find a lot of their material to be uninteresting. That said they contributed something different to the pantheon of rock. I think their new guitarist isn't great, they've become a kind of pop rock band, Monarchy of Roses is a bit bleh, its something I wouldn't care much for, hence the use of the word bleh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭LH Pathe

Some bands stick around so long as an older MK II people forget the original concept / model. did Hillel Slovak write the Mother's Milk guitar parts before he died because anything Frusciante played after his MM debut never had that energy nor class. IMO

Strictly an 80s group only the first departure worked might be capable of the occasional track put of 11 or so but either hey hadn't the sense to make it the single this time out else they're just screwed, not feeling that laid back disco rap I saw em perform on tv. Metal funk punk was more their game.. when they had a brain. Or was that no brain. IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

Monarchy of Roses is a bit bleh, its something I wouldn't care much for, hence the use of the word bleh.

Monarchy of Roses is sorta like RHCP meets No Line-era U2.

Maybe thats because they were using lights and special effects when it was performed at the O2.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,861 ✭✭✭RayCon

TBH Im shocked promoters still think they can sell out Croke Park :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

I've seen them live twice in 1992 and a few years ago, both times they were apalling. Their recent albums have been very mediocre with a few good tunes here and there, I think they're well past their best before date and should be recycled.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

RayCon wrote: »
    TBH Im shocked promoters still think they can sell out Croke Park :confused:

Well they did sell out the O2 in 13 seconds and that venue is only one sixth the size of Croke Park.

But yeah this gig is taking exceptionally long to sell out, think Noel Gallagher helped with shifting of the standing tickets though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,861 ✭✭✭RayCon

karaokeman wrote: »
    Well they did sell out the O2 in 13 seconds and that venue is only one sixth the size of Croke Park.

Yeah but it's the other 83% of "demand" I can't fathom

• Registered Users Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭iamanengine

There still epic to be fair,going to see them in croke park and can not wait,even if there latest stuff isnt great the still have the classics. Who's to say the next album won't be a hit,we seen what happened with the whole ---> blood sugar - one hot minute - californication

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 vanjaqwq

This should be in the bland pop/rock section. Horrible band from 1999 onwards. Anything after One Hot Minute is just sh*te give or take a tune or 2. Defo a case of a band who were at there creative peak when they were all high on drugs. Complete sell outs. End of story. Thank you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Genuinely shocked by that announcement. If it's true, then it's great news. Anything that gets a guitar back in the hands of John Frusciante is absolutely fine by me. One of the all time greats, in my eyes.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,222 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Amazing news. Is it actually legit? Its been up on flea's twitter for ages now so I guess it must be? Would be nice if they'd made a short video for such a huge announcement!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

Seen that Flee posted a statement about it on Instagram

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

It's on their official Instagram page (has the blue tick) so unless they've been hacked, I'd say it's legit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭seandotcomm

I'm so shocked and delighted by this. even more so cos I was up til half 3 in the morning last night watching old interviews with John from the 90s when he was off his head on heroin and then some great ones with him after he rejoined the band the last time. Then I watched the Hall of Fame induction from 2012 and read about him turning down the chance to be inducted with the rest of the members and thinking we'd never see him back. talk about weird timing....

I wonder if he's worked on anything with them yet. Excited for whats to come...

• Registered Users Posts: 54,391 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

I just learned of this now

I'm so ****ing happy, John is back bitches, best guitarist around

Ah man!!!!!!!!! this is so ****ing good

• Registered Users Posts: 38,450 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Wonder will they add to there European dates now

Knowing the promoters here it will be another June show

• Registered Users Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Wonder will they add to there European dates now

Knowing the promoters here it will be another June show

Ah bollocks it's gonna be Slane isn't it!?

• Registered Users Posts: 38,450 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Ah bollocks it's gonna be Slane isn't it!?

Could be the RDS or Phoenix park

Could they headline Leeds and Reading and come over here before it ??

• Registered Users Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

A Marley park gig whilst it’s set up for GnR would really suit me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Holy ****. Just seeing that about John now. Didn't think that would ever happen. Josh is a fine guitarist, but his work didn't call to me at all. Haven't seen the RHCP live since he took over in fact. Delighted John is back.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,027 ✭✭✭✭cena

Are they in Dublin next year?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

sugarman wrote: »
    Hopefully they just forget they ever made I'm With You & The Getaway and pick up where they left off with John.

I've never fallen faster out of love with a band as quick as I did with the Chilis after he left.

The fact is genuinely never heard of that album says a lot.
    I'm not even going to look It up to see if it's real.

Not sure who the audience for RHCP is anymore

Hopefully they just forget they ever made I'm With You & The Getaway and pick up where they left off with John.

I've never fallen faster out of love with a band as quick as I did with the Chilis after he left.

Did John ever play Navarro’s stuff at all? I’ve a feeling no. Obviously he played Slovak’s work, but I’m curious will they just gloss over the last two albums.

DavyD_83 wrote: »
    The fact is genuinely never heard of that album says a lot.
    I'm not even going to look It up to see if it's real.

Not sure who the audience for RHCP is anymore

Surprised by how many young fans that go see them given how bland the output has been for a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭seandotcomm

Did John ever play Navarro’s stuff at all? I’ve a feeling no. Obviously he played Slovak’s work, but I’m curious will they just gloss over the last two albums.

I was thinkin about this yesterday. I believe John has never listened to One Hot Minute, having been off the deep end on heroin at the time. I'm sure he's listened to their recent efforts though, given his connection with Josh. Still wouldnt be surprised if they didnt play anything off them live.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

I'm With You was pretty poor but I quite enjoyed The Getaway. Some decent tunes on there.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,391 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

PropJoe10 wrote: »
    I'm With You was pretty poor but I quite enjoyed The Getaway. Some decent tunes on there.

Yup I totally agree.

One of my favourites is Goodbye Angels

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,917 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

Kiedis an embarrassing front man.

Advertisement