Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Weanling Dosing

• 27-12-2011 8:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭

Hi,

Intended giving Closamectin pour-on to weanling heifers this week that are housed and weaned 3-4wks. They are not flukey or scouring and doing pretty well.

Thing is, i now may sell them in the next 3-4wks so is it worth dosing at all as will there be any benefit in that short time.

Thanks..

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

I may be way off saying this but I wouldn't bother.
    We often find cattle get very loose dung for a week or two after dosing which mightnt look good if you are going to sell.
    I also find closamectin of only limited success, pity considering it's price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,078 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

Anybody try the clostamectin injection? Dosed the lot with it there on St. Stephens day. Very thick stuff even with the heat pack.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Grecco

Anybody try the clostamectin injection? Dosed the lot with it there on St. Stephens day. Very thick stuff even with the heat pack.

It does what it says on the Tin but I cant justify using it as the price is too steep.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭limo_100

we dosed them all today with Levafas diamond and ivomec super hope its good enough for them we'll do all the cows next week with trodex

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Bodacious

limo_100 wrote: »
    we dosed them all today with Levafas diamond and ivomec super hope its good enough for them we'll do all the cows next week with trodex

HI limo,

Would both the levafas diamond and ivomec super not both be doing the same job? Ie fluke and worms or are you going for double kill? Oral and Ivermectin

• Advertisement

Bodacious wrote: »
    HI limo,

Would both the levafas diamond and ivomec super not both be doing the same job? Ie fluke and worms or are you going for double kill? Oral and Ivermectin
    it probably is i though ivomac did worns and levafas did fluke? Young cattle are not strong enough for trodax i think.
    But anyway its more that we were giving the imovac and the Levafas diamond was there. it will be interesting to how well they do in a month. would the levafas diamond want to be repeated in a month??

I used that this year... the injection also as it worked out half the price of the pouron.. pain the ass though boiling kettles and heat pack and it is thick stuff to inject either side of neck!

I wouldnt get it again... didnt get the biting lice and they were licking like mad,had to do them with cheap pour on after, if i remember correctly as its an injection the ivermectin doesnt get enough ingredient into the biting lice whereas the sucking lice suck the blood so get a good feed of it! Pour on works on both!

Overall i wouldnt use closamectin again...few lads round me have the same opinion... will dose all again with that levafas diamond for both in next 2 weeks which is 10 weeks after closamectin so should get any immature fluke missed

it probably is i though ivomac did worns and levafas did fluke? Young cattle are not strong enough for trodax i think.
    But anyway its more that we were giving the imovac and the Levafas diamond was there. it will be interesting to how well they do in a month. would the levafas diamond want to be repeated in a month??

Ivomec Classic is cheaper but does not cover fluke so id usually combine that with either a white drench or trodax whereas The Super is dearer but does cover both so you probably could have done without the levafas for this time but who knows ... might be a plan as different active ingredients

LEVAMISOLE HYDROCHLORIDE
    OXYCLOZANIDE

Ivermectin
    clorsulon

Bodacious wrote: »
    Ivomec Classic is cheaper but does not cover fluke so id usually combine that with either a white drench or trodax whereas The Super is dearer but does cover both so you probably could have done without the levafas for this time but who knows ... might be a plan as different active ingredients

LEVAMISOLE HYDROCHLORIDE
    OXYCLOZANIDE

Ivermectin
    clorsulon
    it was the super we used its the best dose that ever was in my opinion. the levafas is a great drence as well. so we didnt need ta do it owell it doesnt really matter its not very expensive anyway. hopefully what one doesnt kill the other will we'll see what happenes.
    Were going to do the cows next week with trodax would ya recommend anything else along with it or is trodax enough for cows this time of year.

it was the super we used its the best dose that ever was in my opinion. the levafas is a great drence as well. so we didnt need ta do it owell it doesnt really matter its not very expensive anyway. hopefully what one doesnt kill the other will we'll see what happenes.
    Were going to do the cows next week with trodax would ya recommend anything else along with it or is trodax enough for cows this time of year.

Id agree with you on the ivomec super and thats what i use on alternate years but its dearer but handy one product etc

Last year i combined Ivomec Classic pour on(cheap in those big 5 litre Pack) with trodax injection... some people dont bother doing cows for worms but i outwinter and had young cows etc and the classic pour on covers both types of lice, warbles etc for which you have to get a pour on for anyway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭49801

iYoung cattle are not strong enough for trodax i think.

curious why you think that?
    i used trodax on the weanlings this year after they were housed 4wks with noromectin injectable. made sense as the noromectin was left over and needed to be used.

Advertisement