Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need advice on PC problem A.S.A.P

Options
  • 27-12-2011 9:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭

I bought a custom built PC 2-3 weeks ago and whenever I go to play games I have major graphical problems as shown in this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqkSwHR-3D8

I have all the latest drivers installed and I tinkered around with
    the graphics settings in the hope of solving the issue. I had no luck :(

I have come to the conclusion that either the Graphics card is faulty and
    simply needs to be replaced

or

My 550w PSU is not supplying enough power to my graphics card

* Here are the details of my graphics card and PSU *

- Graphics card http://www3.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=39504&agid=1004

- PSU http://www3.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=30069&agid=1628

My specs are listed in this thread
    ( Is my PSU strong enough for these specs ?)

thread - http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1899060

My friend is trying to help me so he started this thread on Ubuntu.
    I'd appreciate suggestions and advice as I will probably have to RMA
    with Hardwareversand, I'd just like to get opinions and advice from as much people as possible before I do so. The worry is that I will exchange the GPU and find out that the PSU was the problem or vice versa :confused:

PS: In an earlier thread I was told I needed atleast 45 amps going into my GPU for it to work soundly, Most cards need 30 amps this person said.
    Is there anyway of finding out if enough amps are going into my GPU, the HD radeon 6850 has an input voltage of 240V how do I know what
    Amp value is being used by my GPU and if the PSU is doing its job ?

Desperate for help at this stage :(
    Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Any time I've seen artifacts like that were from pushing an overlcock on a gpu too far (too hot) or the memory chips on a gpu dying. Reapplying thermal paste may help, but if the card is under warranty ask for an RMA. It's deffo not a voltage issue as that would crash and blue screen.

Hdv.de will issue an RMA without question, they're good like that. You will have to cover the postage to them, they will refund after if you ask them. I've RMA'd a few times, never a problem, other than the fact that it may take a few days for them to reply in English to your email.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭mk94

Thanks for the reply, I suspected it was the GPU and I sent an email to
    H W V S the otheday and they replied with a swift email on how to return. I am unsure as to what address I sent to and how I should package the faulty GPU, since it came installed in the PC without boxes etc.

Any ideas ? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭conor360

i have something similar except mine is a 560 gtx and the game it happens in is BF3..

Hi.
    I have BF3 aswell and this problem occurs also, it occurs in every game I play..
    It's really annoying because now I am going to have to remove the GPU

(which I've never done before)

and then send it back to Germany which could take a while !

Did you buy off Hardwareversand ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

Your PSU can supply more than enough power. A single 6850 won't tax it at all.

Looks to be a graphics card problem, but just to be sure:

Did you completely remove (including using Driver Sweeper) all of the driver components before reinstalling the newest drivers? I'd try a reinstall once more.

• Advertisement

Hi Serephucus, I did that already and nothing happened.

I am now trying to find out how I go about sending this faulty GPU back to H W V S

Do you know how the process works and do I use DHL ?

All info is appreciated as this is my 1st time doing this.

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

Can't help ya there I'm afraid. As much as everyone here loves HWVS, I've never actually used them. I'd assume you call them up, ask for an English-speaking someone, and explain the situation. They'll probably arrange for DHL to come pick it up - you'll have to make sure the right address is on it, and that it's packaged ok, etc. - Once HWVS has it, they may/may not test it, then send a replacement to you. Odds are the whole thing could take a week or two, especially around this time of year.

Advertisement