Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

fostering

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

If you were to go for an age of 4 or 5 upwards then part time work would not be an issue as she could possible work around the school hours.
    Another option is some sort of work from home.
    One warning I will give you is the initial interview is very abrupt .
    You will get the impression they don't want you. Its just to see how comitted you are, after that it gets easier, just be prepared for very personal & intrusive questioning.
    Good luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭4th horsemen

Sound, I can understand that as it is a very big commitment and they need to be sure.

Thanks for all the advice and answers.
    It's appreciated

Regards

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Your very welcome.
    Let me know how you get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Rower2

people aren't able to choose age groups to foster - you can highlight a preference but it is not a process of cherry picking. you can choose to be short term or long term carers. i actually think there would be a question mark over why you would pick certain age groups like other people have asked as in 0-3.

also people dont pass because there is a need for carers. they pass or dont pass based on assessment of suitability.

KoolKid wrote: »
    This one is probably going to come down to what type of fostering you have in mind & what age group you are looking at.
    My wife was working part time , but as we were being accessed for long-term as well & ages from new born we did agree during the assessment that she would be giving up work if we were approved.

As above it will depend on what you are looking to do.
    This would come up in a part of the assessment that looks at the safety of the home & the environment in general.
    Another couple that were in training and assessment at the same time as us were in a similar environment as yourselves. There were accepted for age group 5 and over. They had a large house in the country & many different pets.

Not at all. Its mostly based on life experience. Your future plans for children will be questioned in great detail though.

The whole assessment is very detailed & every aspect or your life is examined in great detail.
    Be prepared for that & be prepared to be very open & honest in every answer you give.

the HSE have a list of dangerous dogs. you could ring a fostering department and ask about it.

• Advertisement

Hi,

Myself and girlfriend of 11 years are also thinking of fostering,
    We bought our own house beginning of the year, it's in the country 4 miles from town and 16 miles from city.
    before we contact Fostering First Ireland someone might be able to give us some feedback on a few questions:
    I work full time and my girlfriend works part time (8hr contract), do you think she could keep her part time work?

We have 3 dogs will that go against us?, one of them is a big fella of 46kg, They are all very friendly playful dogs and not aggressive whatsoever.

We don't have children ourselves will that go against us? but I have Nieces and nephews and we mind my nephew on occassions and my girlfriend babysits for her friends etc.

Thanks

hi there,

not having children wouldnt go against you.

Rower2 wrote: »
    people aren't able to choose age groups to foster - you can highlight a preference but it is not a process of cherry picking. you can choose to be short term or long term carers. i actually think there would be a question mark over why you would pick certain age groups like other people have asked as in 0-3.

also people dont pass because there is a need for carers. they pass or dont pass based on assessment of suitability.

I'm sorry but you are wrong here. You can choose your age groups. I think your comments re people asking for babies or newborns is very offensive to people fostering or wishing to foster for genuine reasons. If there is any question mark over people's reasons for selecting age that will show up during the assessment. Unfortunately in our society there are lots of babies and new borns taken into care. Those are the ones that need help the most and finding carers for these is not easy. Unfortunately, also in our society there are people who make such comments about people who have genuine reasons to care and so much love and attention to give....
    For the record we have a young baby boy who we have from one week old. We requested young ages for a number of our own reasons. We were also specific in stating we did not want certain age groups. This has nothing to do with cherry picking. It's about what is suitable for our family and circumstances. Having a teenage daughter obviously teenage boys or girls were out as we didn't want a certain impact on her.
    Also foster carers can refuse any placement for any reason. It's all about what's best for the child and best for the foster family.

Didn't mean to come across insensitive, actually thought I'd deleted that post

I was trying to say people can highlight preference but it, as everything else, will become a point of assessment.

It comes up numerous times during assessment but it is not a condition of acceptance. You can change this at any stage later based you your own needs, your family needs or the needs of any other children you may have in your care.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭4th horsemen

Rower2 wrote: »
    the HSE have a list of dangerous dogs. you could ring a fostering department and ask about it.

Thanks but my dogs are not on the Dangerous Breed List.
    And that list is flawed in many ways and I don't agree with it. But that is a different conversation :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 JamesAlexs

I want to foster young infants and toddlers (0-4) but I am wondering are there many children in this age group in foster care in the UK or is there a higher demand for foster parents for older age groups? Tell me the best paid fostering agencies

• Registered Users Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

JamesAlexs wrote: »
    I want to foster young infants and toddlers (0-4) but I am wondering are there many children in this age group in foster care in the UK or is there a higher demand for foster parents for older age groups? Tell me the best paid fostering agencies

As this is an Irish website, the advice will mainly be Irish based. I would imagine that there are higher numbers of older kids in care as issues around parental capacity are often flagged when kids start school.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

JamesAlexs wrote: »

Best paid?? You don't foster for the money.

You get an allowance and it's the same across the board.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

eviltwin wrote: »
    Best paid?? You don't foster for the money.

You get an allowance and it's the same across the board.

It should be added that the allowance is also for the child- it needs to pay for clothes, food, presents, utilities etc. Putting money in savings is also encouraged. Foster carers will tell you that any allowance doesn't cover the full cost of care so as Eviltwin says, it is definitely not for the money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

JamesAlexs wrote:

If money is a factor, tbh fostering is not for you. From my own experience the allowance rarely covers the costs involved. We have fostered from a 6 month old to a 16 year old.

Money doesn't come into it & certainly doesn't cover all their requirements and needs. if your asking questions like that its definitely not for you.

Advertisement