Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bad form and grunting

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭shligo.bulker

Anyway what kind of sieze gains did you see after GVT? Thinking of trying out a personal variation of GVT in a week or two due to me losing almost all my muscle when i started focusing solely on strength.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 496 ✭✭GASMANN

sun 20

40 min run, 6kmish

Whats up with the fasted runs? You mean running first thing in the morning on an empty stomach? Coz thats the worst thing you can do! At least have a protein shake first followed by some complex carbs after the run. Running while in a catabolic state will do nothing other than make your muscles shrink and strength decrease. Just my two cents
    Anyway what kind of sieze gains did you see after GVT? Thinking of trying out a personal variation of GVT in a week or two due to me losing almost all my muscle when i started focusing solely on strength.

the fasted runs work for me, thanks for the advice though. as for the gvt im running it again from the start of june to mid july, i was happy with what i got out of it the last time but looking back it was a very basic way of doing it. this time the workload will be way up as will the weight involved and the assistance work. i dont get to bogged down in technical jargon - i think most people can gauge for them selves whether they are bigger or smaller or fatter or leaner, so coming out of the last cycle i was a bit bigger and a bit leaner and my max strenght levels either maintained or increased slightly. it was first run at it and i could have got much more from it but i suppose thats how you learn what suits you best.

Im gonna run GVT for about 8 weeks while bumping up the calories and complex carbs, then switch to a 5x5, then a 3x10, then a 10x3 and then start the cycle again with GVT. Each routine will last 6-8 weeks. Il be posting a complete log detailing diet, exercises performed, weight being lifted etc. Not sure whether i should post it here or in health and fitness tho, im new here.

Iv just posted my personalized GVT routine in a thread i posted in health and fitness about GVT if you wanna check it out.

• Advertisement

shligo bulker, i read your thread on h+f, it turned into a bit of a load of sh1te to be honest. personally i do what suits me training wise, taking bits and pieces of everything and then putting my own twist on it. i dont give a phuck what anybody thinks of it. it might'nt be textbookbut it does me and keeps me interested in training. do your log and do it your way, your being a bit of a pussy running away from it cos people dont agree with it. all the goals i have for training are unrealistic, but their still there. go and phucking do it.

6.00am run 4.2km 30min, bit of a flue son+mon, so not much energy

SNATCHES
    30KG - 45KG warm ups
    all doubles - 50, 50, 55, 55, 58, 58, 60
    its coming back to me, slowly.

im going back to a gvt'ish cycle in a week - 10 days and il be super setting all the main lifts so im trying to acclimatise to it ...

OH PRESS x 5 S/S BODY ROWS x 10 for first 3 sets
    60kg + br
    60kg + br
    60kg + br
    65kg - i hpoe this doesnt count as pushpress but i squeez the last 2 reps out with my quads, my legs didnt budge but i felt like the power was coming from down there, to the point of a twinge of cramp. technical people please explain.
    65kg - again

UPRIGHT ROW 70KG S/S LAT PULLDOWN 65KG 3x8
    hard enough it was hot in the heat tonight

• Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭DamienH

As long as your knees dont bend you're fine. Both your legs should be tensed to **** anyway, it's a solid base.

ecb was scorchio today and busy, it was uncomfortable but there was just something about it being so hard to train like that, that it actually gave me a bit of buzz to finish the session, saying that a 1h20min session took 2h10min.

BIKRAM CLEAN AND JERK
    warmups to 75kg in doubles, triples, fourses whatever felt right.
    2cleans 1 jerk
    80, 83, 83, 85, 85, 88, 88, 90, 90, 92, 95 - 2012 pb's and comfortable too, its strating to feel natural again.

SQUATS 5X5 S/S HANGING KNEE RAISES X8 PERSET
    130, 130, 130, 140, 140

HBAR DEADS 180KG 5X5
    i had to take longer recovery here than i like, 2-3min, i was getting fairly bunched.

good session, good craic in the big boys room tonight too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭gymfreak

GASMANN wrote: »
    ecb was scorchio today and busy, it was uncomfortable but there was just something about it being so hard to train like that, that it actually gave me a bit of buzz to finish the session, saying that a 1h20min session took 2h10min.

BIKRAM CLEAN AND JERK
    lol
    good session, good craic in the big boys room tonight too.
    AHEM!!!

• Advertisement

aimed at the ironsiders, dont worry you are a big boy like the rest of us

everything was tired today even my hands, i borderline not going to do anything. im going to start gvt on monday again too so between one thing and another i was a bit all over the place and changed things tonight as i moved along.

power-snatches, legs were tired.
    warm up x5,4,3,2 @ 30,35,40,45
    x2's - 50,55,55,60,65,70(starting to get a bit ahead of myself)
    X1'S - 75,80,85F,83F,60,60

bench - loaded the bar wrong, had it at 100kg instead of 90kg, was planning a 5x5 95,95,95,100,100 but was to lazy to unload so switched to 100kg 5x3. il call that keeping it fresh.

dip/bodyrow s/s 3x8

greenband pullups/chinups. 10x3. changed this a bit trying to find something that works. so i done 3 pullups straight into 3 chinups, it should really be 5x3, whatever it was it phucking hard.

it was freezing in ironside tonight, only about 25*c

shligo bulker, i read your thread on h+f, it turned into a bit of a load of sh1te to be honest. personally i do what suits me training wise, taking bits and pieces of everything and then putting my own twist on it. i dont give a phuck what anybody thinks of it. it might'nt be textbookbut it does me and keeps me interested in training. do your log and do it your way, your being a bit of a pussy running away from it cos people dont agree with it. all the goals i have for training are unrealistic, but their still there. go and phucking do it.
    Oh im not running away from it. Im definatly still doing it, just not gonna bother posting a log here. Dont know what your calling me a pussy for tbh, i stood my ground and i still intend doing it. Not gonna let a bunch of wasters change my mind.

Oh im not running away from it. Im definatly still doing it, just not gonna bother posting a log here. Dont know what your calling me a pussy for tbh, i stood my ground and i still intend doing it. Not gonna let a bunch of wasters change my mind.

im not getting into a huge post fest with you here. the reason i said you were being a bit of a pussy was because you asked were you in the right place to post a log. yes it is, the forums are called strenght&strenght sports LOGS and fitness LOGS. i read back on everything you wrote and felt that you were given a unneccesary hard time by a lot of the "experts". because of this i put up the post on my log trying to encourage you to keep a log somewhere here, personally id enjoy following it. in the grand scheme of things nobody really cares about your log, or mine, or anyone elses - i just thought you sounded like a lad with a pair of stones, but it looks like you wont stick up a log of your gvt because your afraid of what people will think about it. thats disapointing. if you dont want to post it thats cool. if your afraid to post it, well that sh1t aint cool my man.

im not getting into a huge post fest with you here. the reason i said you were being a bit of a pussy was because you asked were you in the right place to post a log. yes it is, the forums are called strenght&strenght sports LOGS and fitness LOGS. i read back on everything you wrote and felt that you were given a unneccesary hard time by a lot of the "experts". because of this i put up the post on my log trying to encourage you to keep a log somewhere here, personally id enjoy following it. in the grand scheme of things nobody really cares about your log, or mine, or anyone elses - i just thought you sounded like a lad with a pair of stones, but it looks like you wont stick up a log of your gvt because your afraid of what people will think about it. thats disapointing. if you dont want to post it thats cool. if your afraid to post it, well that sh1t aint cool my man.
    I get what you mean and no im not "afraid" to post a log. Its the internet, i dont take it seriously. It just sounded as though nobody had any intrest in me doing a log. And it looked like if i did do a log, people would just come in talking this and that, and it would just end up in shambles with all those "experts". As for me being a pussy just for asking where would be more appropriate to post a log, i dont get that. It was my first time to visit the site and i wasnt sure which place would be more appropriate for it- strength sports or h&f. Anyway no need to reply to this, you got a good thread going and i dont wanna ruin it by going off topic. Best of luck with your training, il keep reading anyway.

Well if you do decide to log I'd be interested in it and I don't think it would get hijacked , the training logs are a bit different to the open threads. Good luck anyway Bulker.

warmup/half a rehab

CLEAN + JERK
    warm up to 80kg in 2's+3's
    work
    2c 1j - 85, 85, 88, 88, 90, 90 - all fairly clean.

BACK SQUAT i decided last night i want a new pb
    80 x 3
    120 x 3
    140 x 3
    160 x 2
    170 x 1
    180 x 1 pb +5kg
    185 x 1 pb +10kg

yeah, i would have got 190 but it wouldnt have been pretty, i have a mega hunger to join the 200kg+ club now.

FRONT SQUATS i walked back into ecb and a one of the lads was going for a pb, so i worked in for the craic, iv never really tested front before so i was happy with what happened.
    80 x 3
    90 x 2
    144 pb
    148 failed, hollywood style fail, taking out the rack on the way. phoookin happy with the days work all the same

there was a really good buzz in the gym tonight, atmosphere made for pb's and good performances. now, hot wings, burger, beer, ice pack for the knee doubling up as a beer cooling device , happy days.

sat 4km run, alcohol related undertheweatherness.

sun 6km run.

mon 4.5km run, alcohol related undertheweatherness.

back to some volume training tonight, here's my numbers which are all up since the last gvt phase in jan.

bodyweight 109kg

squat back 185kg

squat front 144kg

bench press 110kg

oh press 70kg

clean+jerk 102kg

snatch 80kg

the 5 compound moves will form the base of the training and il be working at 60% of them. rounded up to easy numbers to eg. 66kg becomes 70kg.

il be doing short oly sessions at the start of each day and working no higher than 80%, i dropped the oly stuff completely last time which has set me back a good bit.

i want my bw to get down to 105kg, with 100kg the longer term target.

there's a squat/deadlift superset on day2 which is going to be brutal. no cns lectures please.

there's a front squat day too, which puts the whole thing over 4 days, this should be manageable.

almost all the assistance stuff is bodyweight moves which im going to hate but have been neglecting for too long, so this is my pennance.

CLEAN+JERK
    good few warm ups, mainly cleans in 3's

2cleans+1 jerk
    5 sets @ 80kg

BENCH 10x10 70kg + BENTOVER ROW 10x10 50kg - strict 60 sec between sets

bench - 10,10,10,10,10,10,8,10,8,8. total 94/100
    row - 10,10,10,10,10,10,10,10,10,10. total 100/100

ok, the rows need to increase weight 60kg. the bench, im sticking with it at 70kg until i get the full ton, then straight to 75kg.

im planning this phase of volume for 6/7 weeks and every set only gets 60 sec break so as soon as i complete 100reps im bumping weight, hopefully il hit it on every move.

DIPS 5x5 60s between sets
    hard hard hard, failed last rep on last set.

GREEN BAND PULL-UPS 6x4
    4,4,3 - switched to chins - 4,3,2

that was a hard session, but not as hard as i expected, tomorow morning should be telling though. squat/deadlift s/s tomorow yeeeaaah !

• Advertisement

i done everything wrong today, starting with a 6.00AM 5KM run on what was going to be a challenging leg/back day.
    i had a bit of a hangover from yesterdays upper body stuff which had a knock on to my snatch's today.
    it went like this;

SNATCH
    w/u - 30,35,40,45,50,55 all x 2
    work 60f,60f,60f so i stopped, had planned 5 x doubles @ 60kg

BACKSQUAT 10X10 110KG S/S DEADLIFT 10X10 100KG

SQ - 10,10,10,8,8,10 - called to work - total : 56/60
    DL - 10,10,10,7,6,8 - called to work - total : 51/60

wow, that was like a war. this superset is not a good idea. i felt really strong on the squat but the dead straight after and 60s recovery destroyed me.
    im going to do the squats solo next week and i think il get a good result, hopefully bumping the weight within 2-3 weeks. for the deads im going to keep them ( an hour ago i was never doing them again ) but im going to load them to 130/140 and do a 5x5 as a continuation of the squat set, like 10x10 60sec then the 5x5. this will work.

i had a 5x60sec plank s/s with hangin knee raises 5x8 but got called to work. i had tomorow down as a rest day but i might do a bit of catchup on the snatch and core stuff, i'll see in the morning.

bit of a rest/recovery day. iv a lot doms kicking in from mon+tue, so no running this morning and plenty of good chow. i started getting stiff later on so done some rolling and then decided to head down to the sweatbox to loosen up some more.

SNATCH
    30 x 5
    35,40 x 3
    45 x 3 ( and for some reason 5 x oh squat on first rep )
    50 x 2
    55 x f x 2
    50 x f
    40 x didnt even attempt

i really should have skipped this because it felt, looked and was sh1te.

45s plank / hanging knee raise x 8
    5 sets

then a spur of the moment bbq. burgers,chicken,milk - yeah

6.30am 3km power walk - very ladylike, i need sweatbands + legwarmers though.

tonight

rehab/stretch

CLEAN+JERK
    warm up sets to 75kg in 2's
    3c+1j
    80kg
    80kg - losing form a bit
    70kg

OH PRESS 45KG 10X10 S/S INV. ROW FEET UP 10X10 60sec rec.

press : 10,10,10,10,10,10,9,9,9,6 - total = 93/100
    row : 10,10,10,10,10,9,9,9,9,8 - total = 94/100

tough. some of the rows were questionable but i kept the count as honest as i could. although i got 93 on the press i feel that 100 is a long way off yet. it can be done though.

DIPS 4X8
    i just couldnt get down on them, my chesticles were on fire.

CHINUPS no assistance bands 4xmax
    again i was shattered, so i done as many singles as i could, this :

1,1,pause,1,1,half, pause,1,1,1,pause,1,1,half

so 9 reps, im actually happy with that.

Good stuff man, really enjoying reading this thread. How the hell do you be up at 6am to go for a run though?! If i did that id need to go to bed every night like 7-8pm lol

just have to do it, iv a treadmill at home so its a bit easier. if i had to go to a gym or outside id find a lot of excuses real quick. its good for clearing the head before work if nothing else.

I prefer my runs to be outdoors. And i love running when its raining, dont know why though lol. But yeah it is good for clearing the head. Still, id be wrecked all day if i got up at 6am for a run. Fair play to ya man.

6.00am 4.5km run

tonight

BENCH 70KG 10X10
    10,10,10,10,7,10,8,10,10,8 - total :93/100

^^^ i cheated a bit here and went to 90 sec breaks on the last 4 sets, felt good though, i was expecting to finish in the mid 80 range.

FRONT SQUAT 10X10 80KG
    10,10,10,10,10,10,10,10,7,10 - total : 97/100

^^^ satisfyingly brutal. jelly legs and all after. its all mental after the first 6 sets and its great.

JERK SKILLS - my jerk has been very muscley lately so im going back to basics a bit just to get the punch back into it. i have been finishing it forward of my shoulders which is causing a bit of pain too, so i have to correct that at the same time.

oh jerk dips 3x5 bar

split jerks 3x3 bar, 5x3 40kg

jerks 3x3 40kg, 2x3 50kg

sore legs today. went for a 4.5km/30min at around 5ish, just to loosen a bit and help with the rolling.

sun 7.00 40min run, 5.5km

some stetching+rolling

lunchtime - was working around ecb area so went in to do a bit, no plan just doing what felt good.

CLEANS
    30KG 3x3
    40kg x3
    50kg x3
    60kg 3x2
    70kg 2x2

POWERCLEANS
    60kg x3
    70kg x3
    75kg x3
    80kg x2
    85kg x2
    90kg x2
    95kg xf
    80kg x3
    80kg x2

JERKS (without dip, kinda 1/4 squatish, feet stay in clean position)
    40kg 3x3
    40kg x5
    50kg x3
    60kg 2x3

seen these online over the weekend, wanted to try them
    REEVES DEADLIFT - basically grip the first plate on each side of the bar + lift, i dropped a plate on 1 of my fingers and got a bit of a blood blister right at the tip in the setup which didnt help.
    60kg
    80kg
    90kg
    100kg
    90kg - all singles.

just reading that blister line back, what a ridiculous excuse.

• Advertisement

CLEAN+JERK
    warmups
    2c 1j @ 80kg x 5

BENCH 70KG 10X10 S/S BARBELL ROW 60KG 10X10 60SEC REC

BENCH : 10,10,10,10,10,8,9,8,8,8 - total 91/100
    ROW : 10,10,10,10,10,10,10,10,10,10 - total 100/100

moved the row up 10kg from last week, i think it had an effect on recovery for the bench, il be sticking with it at 60kg untill i get a full house on the bench.

DIPS 5x5 60 sec rec - failed the last rep on last set again. these are handy enough, i might weight them next week.

GREEN BAND PULL UPS 6x3 - completed the lot which i was happy with untill i realised i was meant to do 6x4.

looking back it wasnt a bad session, but at the time it just didnt feel 100%, like there was a bit of intensity missing or something, i dont know. room for improvement.

Advertisement