Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Some KO!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭paulmclaughlin

There you go. That was tricky URL too though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Joe10000

I don't watch this ****e normally but why does the guy who takes the hit just stand their and let the guy spin ?

Surely there was plenty of time to take evasive action and to catch the other guy off balance ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Richy06

I'll let a striking coach explain....
    "The six or seven spinning back kicks that he threw earlier conditioned a bodily response in his opponent that allowed him to execute the ko."

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭Rob01

Joe10000 wrote: »
    I don't watch this ****e normally but why does the guy who takes the hit just stand their and let the guy spin ?

Surely there was plenty of time to take evasive action and to catch the other guy off balance ?

If you don't watch this "****e" normally, why come on to a MMA forum to discuss something you don't understand or have an interest in?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭RoboRat

Joe10000 wrote: »

He was expecting a spin kick to the midsection so he dropped his arms to protect himself but the opponent followed up with an inside crescent kick and caught him square.

There is a lot more to fighting that just throwing punches and kicks. It is like a chess match where sometimes you need to throw a few things out there to disguise what you are really planning on doing.

Maybe if you watched the ****e a bit more you would understand it better?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭MMAIRELANDFAN

RoboRat wrote: »
    He was expecting a spin kick to the midsection so he dropped his arms to protect himself but the opponent followed up with an inside crescent kick and caught him square.

That is true but all he had to do was step out of range and not block at all

That way either kick would miss

That is true but all he had to do was step out of range and not block at all

That way either kick would miss

He was against the ropes so backwards wasn't an option, he could have gone either way but he was probably weighing up blocking the kick and countering with a punch or kick. Either way, the guy who done the kick had set him up with the previous spin kicks so he really wasn't expecting the crescent at the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭yizorselves

Rob01 wrote: »
    If you don't watch this "****e" normally, why come on to a MMA forum to discuss something you don't understand or have an interest in?

Oh why should anyone do anything if thats the case. He asked a question and you're no help whatsoever Mr Sandy Vadge.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭Rob01

Oh why should anyone do anything if thats the case. He asked a question and you're no help whatsoever Mr Sandy Vadge.

He asked a question at the same time as labelling the sport as "****e" so I dont see any reason why he would want to discuss the perfectly executed K.O other than to have a dig at the sport, something which he clearly does not follow or understand! & you dont seem to be much help to him either!

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭yizorselves

He asked a question at the same time as labelling the sport as "****e" so I dont see any reason why he would want to discuss the perfectly executed K.O other than to have a dig at the sport, something which he clearly does not follow or understand! & you dont seem to be much help to him either!

Well I quoted you and not him so I was addressing you. His question was already answered so I didnt feel the need to attempt it. You quoted him but chose to be a big sandy va jay jay instead.

Breathe dawg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,438 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Whats the story with all the bitching on this forum lately?? It's usually calm enough.
    Tis the season lads.

WON'T SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN??!!!!

Whats the story with all the bitching on this forum lately?? It's usually calm enough.

Gyms closed over Christmas, pent up energy, boredom... dunno? I'm yellow mellow though (probably because I'm up to my ears in work)

Sorry for calling it ****e, wasn't trolling, I just don't like the sport.

I access boards through my phone and the home page pops up the ten most recently edited threads so I never know which forum I'm in, I just open threads that look interesting.

But I still think he had plenty of time to take evasive action.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Richy06

Well, you've already been told why he didn't take evasive action. It's fighting, not running away. That looks something like this....

http://i30.tinypic.com/sw6z4n.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭The Bored One

A friend I watch MMA with complains whenever he sees a fighter leave an opening or gap and the other guy doesn't take advantage of it. I usually point out that by the time you think "Ooh an opening" the chance to make use of it has passed. You either react automatically as soon as its there, or don't react till its too late.

A friend I watch MMA with complains whenever he sees a fighter leave an opening or gap and the other guy doesn't take advantage of it. I usually point out that by the time you think "Ooh an opening" the chance to make use of it has passed. You either react automatically as soon as its there, or don't react till its too late.

Easier said than done! You will often be lining up what you want to do along with ensuring that you don't leave an opening for your opponent. In a lot of situations you may have shifted your weight to throw a punch or kick so it might not be possible to get a decent strike if a gap appears, in these situations you can throw something that might not inflict damage, but it will leave you open for a counter... or you can keep doing with what you are planning which is the safer option. Also, often fighters line up a couple of strikes to gauge your reaction and by moving (or not) you may be walking straight into a trap. You will often see fighters 'feeling out' their opponent to see what way they deal with attacks... Anderson Silva is a great example of this.

The bottom is there are a lot more tactics to a good fight than what meets the eye. Its easy to sit there and say 'you should have ducked or moved' or 'you should have attacked that gap' but the reality is that when you are trying to defend and attack at the same time, along with trying to implement your gameplan whilst trying to figure your opponents out, all whilst dealing with fatigue and pain, its not that easy and the ring is an unforgiving place to make a mistake.

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭The Bored One

RoboRat wrote: »
    Easier said than done! You will often be lining up what you want to do along with ensuring that you don't leave an opening for your opponent. In a lot of situations you may have shifted your weight to throw a punch or kick so it might not be possible to get a decent strike if a gap appears, in these situations you can throw something that might not inflict damage, but it will leave you open for a counter... or you can keep doing with what you are planning which is the safer option. Also, often fighters line up a couple of strikes to gauge your reaction and by moving (or not) you may be walking straight into a trap. You will often see fighters 'feeling out' their opponent to see what way they deal with attacks... Anderson Silva is a great example of this.

The bottom is there are a lot more tactics to a good fight than what meets the eye. Its easy to sit there and say 'you should have ducked or moved' or 'you should have attacked that gap' but the reality is that when you are trying to defend and attack at the same time, along with trying to implement your gameplan whilst trying to figure your opponents out, all whilst dealing with fatigue and pain, its not that easy and the ring is an unforgiving place to make a mistake.

Oh I know, Im agreeing that its not as straightforward as people sometimes think. But backseat driving is common in every sports fanbase especially when the fans think they know more than they do. Boxing seems to get that problem alot.

Richy06 wrote: »
    Well, you've already been told why he didn't take evasive action. It's fighting, not running away. That looks something like this....

http://i30.tinypic.com/sw6z4n.gif

No I haven't been told anything, people have expressed opinions and I read them all with interest. There are many ways to take evasive action, running away was not one that immediately sprung to mind.

Advertisement