Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Whats the difference between downloading a game to buying it in store?

• 27-12-2011 10:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 416 ✭✭

Well,

Its only €30 to download the latest titles from Playstation Store

And then they're around 40-50 in store usually right?

Why would anyone buy their games in stores any more if they're much cheaper to download?

While I'm here: What is the minimum Signal Stregth you can play online with? The likes of MW and BF3? My stregth is 26% because the room I'm in is far away from router so I'm going to feed an ethernet cable all the way into the other room. Should Make it much better right?

I'm a PS3 noob so any advice would be appreiciated! ;)

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,832 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

They don't tend to be cheaper to download them, that's the problem. For various contractual reasons publishers are forced to keep prices on digital download services high so as not to interfere with the more competitive retail stores. So a brand new game, if it goes up on PSN at all, will tend to be at least 60-70 euro.

That said, if they have indeed reduced the price of the game on PSN in a sale or whatever then there is no difference between the physical copy and the download. Hard drive space would be the only major consideration if so, as retail games tend to be many gigs sizewise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭MyKeyG

i124Q wrote: »
    Well,

Why would anyone buy their games in stores any more if they're much cheaper to download?

Why indeed? Why do people still buy CD's when a five year old could use iTunes? Some people assume technological advances are beyond them so stick with tried and tested.

The difference in price as far as I knew wasn't that much. I know it's less as the manufacturer doesn't have to pass on the charge for tangibles such as the disc and packaging.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 935 ✭✭✭samsemtex

You cant sell the game if you dont like it. Ive often bought games and thought they were complete tosh and then sold it on for almost what i paid for it. Its a lot better than losing 70euro straight away.

Also having a games collection is badass!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,484 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

Well,

I think you have your numbers backwards, I've yet to see an online release cheaper than a store bought game.
    What game are you talking about that is €30 on PSN and €40 in a shop?

Mass Effect 2 is a year old and still €60 on PSN.
    While I'm here: What is the minimum Signal Stregth you can play online with? The likes of MW and BF3? My stregth is 26% because the room I'm in is far away from router so I'm going to feed an ethernet cable all the way into the other room. Should Make it much better right?

26% seems a bit weak, if you can't get your PS3 closer to the router, then go wired.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 416 ✭✭i124Q

F1ngers wrote: »
    I think you have your numbers backwards, I've yet to see an online release cheaper than a store bought game.
    What game are you talking about that is €30 on PSN and €40 in a shop?

Mass Effect 2 is a year old and still €60 on PSN.

26% seems a bit weak, if you can't get your PS3 closer to the router, then go wired.

I saw BF3 for €29.99 on PSN. Cheap!

Cool thanks! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Cool thanks! ;)

I think that's an expansion pack...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,785 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Instead of running a cable using power line adapters , uses the mains power in your house to get to that hard to reach place and saves drilling etc
    Ed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Zomg Okay

Cool thanks! ;)

And I saw it for €70. You sure you didn't just see the DLC pack?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 HarrytheBored

OK first off I just want to say Amazon has the best prices overall and kicks PSN and retailers up the a**.
    Now here are the reasons for buying disc versions of the games:
    -They ARE cheaper a lot of the time
    -You can trade them in
    -You don't get the same satisfaction from getting downloadable copies (this might just be personal...)
    -Provides employment
    -A lot of broadband suppliers set limits for how much you can download over a period of time and so you may go over the limit and risk some form of extra charge
    -You can build up massive game collections
    -Downloaded games take up memory
    -Must delete downloaded games to make space and may have to re-download them later
    -DOWNLOADABLE GAMES DON'T HAVE MANUALS!

Advertisement