Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Definition of spawn raping?

Options
  • 27-12-2011 11:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

I was under the impression that spawn raping was attacking the uncappable spawn point, but having just been banned from Craggy Island while nowhere near it there must be some alternate definition

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Zomg Okay

My own definition is killing blokes in their uncap who aren't an immediate threat. Nothing against it if some sniper/mortar guy is firing out of the uncap or if you spawn on team-mates already inside without realising where they are.

I've seen some people giving out about spawning on team-mates at objectives and getting caught by bullets meant for the first bloke but really you can't complain about that. Could be that you were mistaken for someone else?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

I spawned raped there tonight, Wonda Boy seemingly spawned behind a container walked out and i shot him.

Not quite sure what i was supposed to do? Do i wait 10 seconds or something? I wanted the flag and he was at it so...

Spawn raping is when one team is pushed back to the uncappable ie US spawn on Karkand and the other team is camped out side killing them as they spawn. I think thats Gods way of saying your team sucks.

Dont do it i usually wait at A till someone gets tru, but not sure what RUS are supposed to do, they have every flag. Do they retreat to a certain distance or do you give them a flag? :confused:

Always bugged me (NO SPAWN RAPING) But umm what do we do then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 maguinek

Most of the fighting was around Market avenue and Back Streets, I don't remember there being any fighting around the US spawn so I doubt it was mistaken identity.
    I was top of the scoreboard with alot of kills and was kicked after killing a few guys while capturing Market Avenue so I wonder if it had anything to do with killing guys at cappable spawns

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭LighterGuy

My definition of it in Battlefield would be someone sees an enemy spawn becon and decides to wait for players to spawn.

Since in Battlefield (especially in rush) you cant cross the border into the enemies base.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Hercule

my definition of spawn raping would be:

Killing people before they have a chance to move by sitting in an advantageous position that they cannot escape from - an example would be waiting behind the actual spawn point with your gun ready to fire.

It is only spawn raping when you are killed at an uncap with no other flags - as you have no choice not to die - you have a choice not to spawn at a "camped spawn" - its why spawning in the alleyway in grand bazaar and getting instantly vaporized by endless rpg/grenade spam (although irritating) is not classed as spawn raping.

if you are being spawn raped repeatedly - you have 2-3 options:

1. Join the other team/switch server
    2. Man up - form a squad and go out and get a decent cap point.
    3. Don't spawn - until a squadmate or team member provides a better spawn point.

• Advertisement

maguinek wrote: »
    Most of the fighting was around Market avenue and Back Streets, I don't remember there being any fighting around the US spawn so I doubt it was mistaken identity.
    I was top of the scoreboard with alot of kills and was kicked after killing a few guys while capturing Market Avenue so I wonder if it had anything to do with killing guys at cappable spawns

Dont see that as spawn raping in an active area, i have killed people at flags and like me vengeance kicks in and i respawn at that flag with the sole intention of killing whoever shot me.

Sometimes i win sometimes i dont, but if i kill someone at a spawn i expect them back and covering my ass.

BF spawn raping normally means the uncappable, the beacon doesnt count as someone put it there so realised at some point someone could find it.

Think the OPs issue with the the server admin, best take it up with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Jonny7

maguinek wrote: »
    I was under the impression that spawn raping was attacking the uncappable spawn point, but having just been banned from Craggy Island while nowhere near it there must be some alternate definition

You've been banned or was it just a kick?

I was in that game, you weren't spawn raping

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Sisko

It's simple.

Spawn raping = sitting outside of the range of a flag so as not to capture it and proceeding to take out anyone that spawns there with zero intention of ever taking the flag.

Base rape = doing the same thing on an untakeable flag IE the main base.

Sisko wrote: »
    Spawn raping = sitting outside of the range of a flag so as not to capture it and proceeding to take out anyone that spawns there with zero intention of ever taking the flag.

They choose to spawn there tho? and from what i can see theres at least 7 spawn spots for each flag, possibly more so difficult to spawn rape a flag.

Also wouldnt snipers fall into the "no intention" area?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Outside of non capable is fair game. I remember some bitching but we just pointed out you were constantly in a tank, don't remember a kick/ban but I was afk for 10 mind or so on grand bazaar.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7 maguinek

I was alternating between using tank and on foot, when i died in the tank and respawned I didn't wait for the tank but went out on foot, next respawn the tank was waiting, didn't seem like anyone else wanted it.
    The time I was kicked I was out of the tank for a while and was capturing a flag.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭yankinlk

It's simple.

Base rape = doing the same thing on an untakeable flag IE the main base.

Got it in one try. That is exactly what u were guilty of AFAIK. You were on my team so i didn't notice yer behavior myself - but i understood from teamspeak that there was a discussion around the amount of kills you had - it was ridonkulous - then there was an investigation... one of admins joined your squad... and watched you for a time.
    1. in a tank not taking flags and killing all that were spawning to a huge success rate.
    2. waiting for tank at base and not going for anything else.
    3. admins just out for an after xmas laff - looking for balanced games. You have to admit yer score alone was so far off balance for the other team it must have seemed pretty unfair. You have kinda undersold yer score tbh.

does it warrant a ban? maybe not. was it annoying for the losing side i can only guess yes. i think it was assumed you weren't a regular so u got a slap. Thing is on TS you would get a tongue lashing and you could defend yer actons... admins have no time for chat popup windows. It kinda destroyed our game too - since my Squad leader had to join your squad to hunt you out.

Admins have read this thread - so im sure a lifting of ban will be forthwith - at least that will be my recommendation. Im not admin but i am on TS a lot. Dont take it personal - its only a but of fun until someone dies 10 times in a row.
    PS i added you as a freind - next tiem ill be yer gunner. JUST KIDDING ADMINS

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭ktulu123

A little bit of c4 to the tank would of sorted it out fairly quick. It cant be spawn raping at a flag because the other team have an option to spawn there. Just spawn somewhere else and c4 the tank!

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭SniperPaddy

yankinlk wrote: »
    Got it in one try. That is exactly what u were guilty of AFAIK. You were on my team so i didn't notice yer behavior myself - but i understood from teamspeak that there was a discussion around the amount of kills you had - it was ridonkulous - then there was an investigation... one of admins joined your squad... and watched you for a time.
    1. in a tank not taking flags and killing all that were spawning to a huge success rate.
    2. waiting for tank at base and not going for anything else.
    3. admins just out for an after xmas laff - looking for balanced games. You have to admit yer score alone was so far off balance for the other team it must have seemed pretty unfair. You have kinda undersold yer score tbh.

does it warrant a ban? maybe not. was it annoying for the losing side i can only guess yes. i think it was assumed you weren't a regular so u got a slap. Thing is on TS you would get a tongue lashing and you could defend yer actons... admins have no time for chat popup windows. It kinda destroyed our game too - since my Squad leader had to join your squad to hunt you out.

Admins have read this thread - so im sure a lifting of ban will be forthwith - at least that will be my recommendation. Im not admin but i am on TS a lot. Dont take it personal - its only a but of fun until someone dies 10 times in a row.
    PS i added you as a freind - next tiem ill be yer gunner. JUST KIDDING ADMINS

The policy of our server is fair fun and Yanklink was fair on the issue.
    Our position on spawn-raping & base-raping is clear and hair splitters are only deceiving themselves :rolleyes:
    I'll reinstate you, this one time and personally C4 your ass..

NOTE: GUID on record, regardless of player name.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭game4it70

Without sounding harsh,I was in your squad and spawned on you when you where in the tank a few times.Each time you where staying around flags and not making an effort to take them.
    I actually left the squad and joined another one that was taking flags so i cant comment on what you did for the rest of the round.

Does it warrent a ban? no imo.
    A warning and kick if it persisted would have been much better.

BTW we weren't the losing side, we were the recieving side alright.

I was on that side, it was annoying but more so for me as it was tank whoring(no offense but i hate it), which annoying as it is, is valid in the game. We've all been guilty of it. Didn't see any spawn raping, said it before i'll say it again, if it's outside the uncap it's fair game.

The latest patch has really ramped up the tank, rpgs you might as well slap the tank with your mickey, repairs too bloody quick, mines can be seen, javelins good but completely useless in seine.

BTW we weren't the losing side, we were the recieving side alright.

I was on that side, it was annoying but more so for me as it was tank whoring(no offense but i hate it), which annoying as it is, is valid in the game. We've all been guilty of it. Didn't see any spawn raping, said it before i'll say it again, if it's outside the uncap it's fair game.

The latest patch has really ramped up the tank, rpgs you might as well slap the tank with your mickey, repairs too bloody quick, mines can be seen, javelins good but completely useless in seine.

The policy is clear; no spawn or base raping.

rpgs you might as well slap the tank with your mickey
    ffs, Always bragging horse.
    The policy of our server is fair fun and Yanklink was fair on the issue.
    i swear it wasnt me - ive no password.

ffs, Always bragging horse.

i swear it wasnt me - ive no password.

You do now ;)

It's "PlasticPaddy"

The policy is clear; no spawn or base raping.

How is it clear? Peoples definition of spawn raping vary. Here's mine and i hope most peoples; are you going to stop as a guy spawns in the area you're trying to cap, tip your hat at him and let him collect himself. As a sniper you're covering the flag area, you see your teammates in there, someone spawns behind them, what do you do, if you were my teammate and he killed me i'd be a tad bit pissed. Uncap i understand, cappable no spawn killing makes no sense, if thats the case very few flags would be taken and taking a flag would be a deth sentence.

Also bear in mind with seine, B and D are pretty much covered from tanks, A and E are very hard to get into and C is open alright. It's a sh1tty tactic but covering a flag while your team mates tries for the flag makes sense. Personally my high sense of honour stops me from doing this, i'll go in and capture. Someone said it earlier if thats happening spawn somewhere else, the deploy gives you a view of the area you spawn.

• Advertisement

to tank is to whore, to repair divine

Exactly in the end it won't be the temporary ban that will weigh on ones conscience, it will be the sleepless nights with the reoccuring dream of game4it70 saying "cap the flag, cap the flag, think of his children, he was 10-3 now look at him".

How is it clear? Peoples definition of spawn raping vary. Here's mine and i hope most peoples; are you going to stop as a guy spawns in the area you're trying to cap, tip your hat at him and let him collect himself. As a sniper you're covering the flag area, you see your teammates in there, someone spawns behind them, what do you do, if you were my teammate and he killed me i'd be a tad bit pissed. Uncap i understand, cappable no spawn killing makes no sense, if thats the case very few flags would be taken and taking a flag would be a deth sentence.

Also bear in mind with seine, B and D are pretty much covered from tanks, A and E are very hard to get into and C is open alright. It's a sh1tty tactic but covering a flag while your team mates tries for the flag makes sense. Personally my high sense of honour stops me from doing this, i'll go in and capture. Someone said it earlier if thats happening spawn somewhere else, the deploy gives you a view of the area you spawn.

I agree with you on covering a team mate trying to capture a flag.
    That's called "Covering Fire".

However some people very conveniently confuse that with stand-off firing on a spawn without specifically covering a team mate. That is "Raping" and is usually via tank/mortar/sniper rifle/MG.

It is normally easy to spot on the minimap but occasionally it can be difficult to detect, which is why the penalty has to be harsh enough to make it not worth it.

I would prefer to ignore it but when one person exploits it enough to skew the game out of reasonable bounds AND annoy most of the opposing team, I cannot !!!
    I do not want to see people leaving the server because of the behaviour of a very small minority.

Too much pisstaking has forced my hand and I have to ban it. SIMPLES !!!!

Exactly in the end it won't be the temporary ban that will weigh on ones conscience, it will be the sleepless nights with the reoccuring dream of game4it70 saying "cap the flag, cap the flag, think of his children, he was 10-3 now look at him".

LMAO :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭d22ontour

said it before i'll say it again, if it's outside the uncap it's fair game.

That's it in a nutshell imo.

In bf2 there was spawn blocking which was worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Notorioux

my definition of spawn raping is go play Killzone

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

ktulu123 wrote: »
    A little bit of c4 to the tank would of sorted it out fairly quick. It cant be spawn raping at a flag because the other team have an option to spawn there. Just spawn somewhere else and c4 the tank!

In some cases now with Conquest Assault, you can be forced to respawn in the one base.

But, for me if you team finds itself in that position then you are fair game

Baseraping is the only thing I can't stand, attacking the uncap or raping of choppers/jets etc before they have a chance to take off. Gets particularly bad on Gulf for the Russian team sometimes.

Though, I will not complain as I can vividly remember BF2 and the constant rape of carriers. Having a SU35 come out and carpet bomb the whole thing, or the J10s on wake, people not ever reaching the island...it was a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

SeantheMan wrote: »
    Baseraping is the only thing I can't stand, attacking the uncap or raping of choppers/jets etc before they have a chance to take off. Gets particularly bad on Gulf for the Russian team sometimes

Was playing Gulf tonight and I spawned in SU-35 to immediately get strafed by an F-35. Annoys me at the best of times so when I took off I done a loop to get on his tail and strafed him till he exploded into a mountainside...

Don't mess with an angry Russian fighter pilot!

dreamers75 wrote: »
    They choose to spawn there tho? and from what i can see theres at least 7 spawn spots for each flag, possibly more so difficult to spawn rape a flag.

Also wouldnt snipers fall into the "no intention" area?

Sorry just to be clear, I was just typing my definition of it. Not giving my opinion on what is right or wrong.

Personally "base raping" is all I have an opinion on. I'm not a fan. Back in my BF2 days the clan server I was an admin on, I would kick people for base raping pretty fast.

This was largely to keep a flow of battle. Base raping results in bad players on the team who can't get kills any other way... camping a main base while their own team could do with some help. Their team could be losing, yet these guys continue to just fire at the main base. Sometimes up until they are the last players on their team left alive. I've little time for these players.

As for spawn raping. I don't really see it much. When I do, its largely people moaning who can't take getting killed a few times in a row. I don't think I've ever come across a server where a take-able flag was not being taken and instead the enemy team just sat around it and opened fire all day.

If you keep spawning on a flag and are constantly getting killed 99% of the time its cause the enemy have overrun that flag and are trying cap it.

You are taking a risk spawning there and need to accept that you will very likely instantly die.

I assume you were talking to the OP here and not me :confused: I don't think I've ever been on that craggy island server though I keep meaning to stop by.

• Advertisement

I don't think I've ever been on that craggy island server though I keep meaning to stop by.

Just back from a quick session there on craggy. Server added to favs. GGs. :)

Advertisement