Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starting out

• 28-12-2011 12:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 11

I ve being shooting clays for over 20 years and I m considering starting some target shooting. I ve thought about getting a .308 to shoot 600/800 yards any advice on what type of gun to start with and if I join a shooting range in northern ireland is that good enough to get my licence I m alot closer to a range in Omagh than Tullamore

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

dundalk63 wrote: »
    I ve thought about getting a .308 to shoot 600/800 yards any advice on what type of gun to start with
    Would the rifle be for target shooting only?

I only ask as some lads look to get a rifle that they can use for both target and the occassional piece of hunting. However if you are looking solely for a target rifle then your options are easier to narrow down as a target rifle can be heavier, longer barrel, etc as it will only be fired from a prone position.
    and if I join a shooting range in northern ireland is that good enough to get my licence I m alot closer to a range in Omagh than Tullamore
    If you reside in the ROI, but wish to shoot in a range in the North you can get a license for this, but would need a visitor's permit from the PSNI to cross the border with gun, and ammo.

Eithe way membership to an authorised range would be a necessity.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 11 dundalk63

I probably would do some hunting with it so a gun suitable for both. I live in the ROI but Omagh is about an hour away and Tullamore nearer to 2.5 hrs away and just wondering to get the licence for .308 if I join Omagh will I get the Licence or must I join Tullamore?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 877 ✭✭✭zeissman

I ve being shooting clays for over 20 years and I m considering starting some target shooting. I ve thought about getting a .308 to shoot 600/800 yards any advice on what type of gun to start with and if I join a shooting range in northern ireland is that good enough to get my licence I m alot closer to a range in Omagh than Tullamore

The Gardai in my area wont grant a licence for target shooting unless you are a member of a club in the ROI.
    They will not accept membership of a club in N Ireland.
    You could get a licence for a rifle for deer stalking and then get a permit to shoot in N Ireland.

Thats fine then so the closer one is no good then. I d get more value out of going to Omagh its alot closer and I d go alot more than spending 5 hrs on travel time going and coming to Tullamore. Is there much involved in looking for a deer licence as when you shoot clays I just renew my gun and club licence and icpsa insurance and if theres alot involved I probably wont bother fighting redtape

As always the first rifle that comes to mid for performance, price, ability, caliber, etc is the Savage FTR. There is not another factory rifle that shoots aswell as this rifle straight out of the box. Prices vary from €1,650 - €1,750 depending on dealer.

Then there is the Savage Palma. Also a .308 caliber, but specifically designed to fire 155 - 156 gr rounds. The cheek piece is adjustable, the barrel a palma profile meaning the rifle is lighter than its FTR cousin. The headspace/chambering on this rifle is much tighter than the FTR and you may find she will not take certain types of ammo or will be much stiffer to cycle the bolt.

Both of these rifles are tried, and tested for .308/FTR shooting. With 30" barrel they are more than capable of performing out to 1,000 yards.

Now if you wish to start at 600 and not exceed 800 yards you may find that a 26" barreled rifle will work for you. You may loose a little velocity, and work a little harder to maintain windage, but there is a decent selection of these type of rifles available. Problem is price. The TRG-22 would be one of the best target rifles with a 26" barrel. Prices start at €2,600 for the matt black model, and up to €3,500 for the Green stocked model. They come with a 10 round mag but its pointless as with F-Class competitions you may only load 1 round at a time. Still a fantastic rifle.

After this you are looking at your "cross-over" rifles. Styer, Tikka, Sako, etc all do an excellent 24" - 26" barreled rifle, but they are more hunting styled, and due to a much lighter design even with scope and bipod, you are a good few pounds under weight and will feel the effects of shooting a full match more than with the heavier rifles. Also with a 24" barrel, a most have, you are looking at considerably more adjustment to reach the distances, and increased adjustments for windage leaving you at a distinct disadvantage compared to the proper FR rigs.

Then there is the F-Open side of things. 6.5x284, and 7mm rifles rule the roost in this discipline. Most rifles are custom made or custom altered, however Savage also do a line of F-Open rifles ready buy out of the box. One of the americans at the recent Creedmoor shot with oe such rifle to great success.

Lastly there is always the custom rioute from the start. While i rarely recommend custom rifles for beginners as they may not want to remain in the sport there options available to you for not much more than some factory rifles. For example a Remington, Alpine, etc action with a barrel of your choice. Glass and pillar bedded, and dropped into a stock from one of our home stock makers or anyone abroad could cost between €2,500 - €3,000 depending on componants used. More than say a Savage, but less than TRG, etc. Obviously your budget is the only limitation and if you were so inclined you could spend thousands (ie - €5,000+), but thats really not necessary.

For now though if you are interested i would look at a factory rifle, and start from there. Go out to a few ranges and see what most lads are using. Ask their opinions, the pros, and cons fo the rifles, their set ups, etc. Get a feel of a few rifles. See how they are for fit, hold, position, comfort, etc.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Advertisement

I probably would do some hunting with it so a gun suitable for both. I live in the ROI but Omagh is about an hour away and Tullamore nearer to 2.5 hrs away and just wondering to get the licence for .308 if I join Omagh will I get the Licence or must I join Tullamore?
    If its a duel type rifle then as said above Tikka, Styer or Sako are the better three brands. Great rifles, good actions, accurate, and capable of doing 600 yard shooting, and light enough to carry out on a stalk.
    Is there much involved in looking for a deer licence as when you shoot clays I just renew my gun and club licence and icpsa insurance and if theres alot involved I probably wont bother fighting redtape
    The license is free. You apply to the NPWS for it. The form can be downloaded online. You must have land permissions, and a gun already of a suitable caliber before applying. This years season has only two months left so chances are you might not get the rifle, and deer license in time. Also if you intend to shoot targets perhaos memberhship to a range would not be a bad idea.

If you are unsure i would talk to your local FO before doing anything.

Thanks for that, alot to think about I'll wait a few days and call into FO and have a chat.

I live in Louth and theres probably not alot of land with deer on it. So I may join Tullamore oh to have a redtape free country

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,147 ✭✭✭dev110

If you are interested in seeing the facilities of the Midlands range this could be a good day to head down.

You will get a chance to ask people about rifles either target or hunting orientated. Also there will be plenty of lads to give you good advice from the lads heavily involved in target shooting. They are very helpful and will do what they can to help.

I cant make it this week due to work but I could go down any Saturday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Mr.Flibble

Ballykinler is a lot closer to you than either Omagh or Tullamore. Depending on when and how frequently you want to shoot long-range, it might be worth trying a word with Comber.

Thanks for that I'll give them a call. Still have to find out with FO if membership of a N.I. range qualifies for .308 though he's off on leave for xmas.

Advertisement