Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

christmas study

• 28-12-2011 12:39am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 22

anyone studying over xmas and how many hours?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,068 ✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

Starting tomorrow. If I stick to my plan, it'll be 8 hours a day. Hopefully I'll stick to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭bren2001

CTYIgirl wrote: »
    Starting tomorrow. If I stick to my plan, it'll be 8 hours a day. Hopefully I'll stick to it.

HA! Good luck with that.

My advice is to take the Christmas period off. Theres a lot of work for yous to get done between now the Leaving. Having a decent rest is important.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 orla52

my mocks are 2 weeks after xmas. think i should study or take a break

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,068 ✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

bren2001 wrote: »
    HA! Good luck with that.

My advice is to take the Christmas period off. Theres a lot of work for yous to get done between now the Leaving. Having a decent rest is important.

Everyone in my school got given a personalised study plan...Gonna try stick to it. Try being the operative word.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭bren2001

orla52 wrote: »
    my mocks are 2 weeks after xmas. think i should study or take a break

Relax at least this week. If you want to start next week it wouldnt be a bad idea. Cramming for the mocks doesnt help you in the final exam. The mocks are there to point out what you dont know and how the exam works. But at least take till Sunday off and relax.
    CTYIgirl wrote: »
    Everyone in my school got given a personalised study plan...Gonna try stick to it. Try being the operative word.

8 hours is not realistic in a day. 6 is the absolute maximum you will get done and that level of studying is intense and should be left until much closer to the exam. I got 540 in the leaving and have maintained a 1.1 every year in college. I take plenty of scheduled breaks. My exams start 2 weeks from monday. I'll be taking this week off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭Bears and Vodka

8 hours a day will do more harm than good I think. Its important to rest after all. I don't mean do no study, but cut it down to maybe one or two hours? That would be good going I think. You get rest from school AND you still get some study done

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Sunny!!

what do people think about study plans?

I was told last year they were aload of rubbish and the worst thing ever!!

but maybe thats why im repeating:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

I have never, ever made one. I tend to just start studying then get really into it and get loads done :P No way am I forcing myself to come home at 4pm and study, then feel disappointed if I dont!

As for the whole studying over xmas thing, I'm starting in the new year and doing as much as I can :)

i feel i have to do it for the two real tough subjects I have. But the others im gonna leave out of the plan i'd say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Chavways

We have 5 hours study a day in school all next week.I cant wait -_______-

• Advertisement

anyone elses routine fecked haha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Christmas Study isn't strictly speaking necessary unless you're far behind on some subjects. I spent mine last year out in the snow :D

Take it as your final proper break before the LC. The LC will seem a lot more imminent when that "12/2011" in your calendar switches to "1/2012".

As for study plans... I wouldn't bother unless you're extremely stuck for time. The only study plan I ever made was for the last four days before and the two weeks of the actual Leaving Cert. It went along the lines of:

First Monday: English P2 - Poetry, Comparative
    First Tuesday: English P2 - Hamlet. Maths P1
    First Wednesday: Complete English P1. English P2 - Everything.
    First Thursday: Complete English P2. Maths P1 - Everything....

And so on.

I didn't even really need it. The only reason I even wrote it all out was that I could cross things out as I finished them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

LOL

Christmas Study isn't strictly speaking necessary unless you're far behind on some subjects. I spent mine last year out in the snow :D

Take it as your final proper break before the LC. The LC will seem a lot more imminent when that "12/2011" in your calendar switches to "1/2012".

As for study plans... I wouldn't bother unless you're extremely stuck for time. The only study plan I ever made was for the last four days before and the two weeks of the actual Leaving Cert. It went along the lines of:

First Monday: English P2 - Poetry, Comparative
    First Tuesday: English P2 - Hamlet. Maths P1
    First Wednesday: Complete English P1. English P2 - Everything.
    First Thursday: Complete English P2. Maths P1 - Everything....

And so on.

I didn't even really need it. The only reason I even wrote it all out was that I could cross things out as I finished them.

I think thats good advice. I'm only going to do it for the two subjects I struggle with, it doesnt make sense putting a subject in i know backwards and forwards lol

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

Yeah, this. You've loads of time before the LC yet, don't panic and enjoy your time off. I didn't study last Christmas (before my LC) either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 223 ✭✭checkcheek

im just doing a small bit!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

I'm going to a week of grinds next week so I'm counting that as study. Other than that I'm not planning on doing much, maybe revise some maths and practice some poetry essays. To be honest, I'm using this holiday to recuperate because I think I'm going to end up getting sick next term if I don't take a break.

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭ConTheCat

Have a huge study plan done out, subject a day. Struggled to do 2 hours yesterday :(

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭EmptyWithMe

Just about to start. :D Hitting my physics book today, biology tomorrow and we'll see how the rest plays out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

Got two comparative questions done, typed them out but its around 5 A4 pages each :D I really didnt need to, I just dont want to go near Hamlet, I find that kinda hard :(

• Advertisement

Patchy~ wrote: »
    Got two comparative questions done, typed them out but its around 5 A4 pages each :D I really didnt need to, I just dont want to go near Hamlet, I find that kinda hard :(

I hate Hamlet with a passion!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

I hate Hamlet with a passion!
    It's not *that* bad really. Just watch/read the play at least three times to make sure you understand the characters and the intricacies of the play itself and then just sit down and write essay plans. It's really not all that bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,746 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

we've been given at least one exam paper to do for when we go back. iv spent at least 12 hours every day at work since the holidays so study is well out of the question

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Mayo_Boy

Ive only done about one hour study since we got off for xmas.
    But ive loads of projects and **** to do as well which I really would want to get cracking on now :(

It's not *that* bad really. Just watch/read the play at least three times to make sure you understand the characters and the intricacies of the play itself and then just sit down and write essay plans. It's really not all that bad.

I can do the essays and everything fine, but I can't stand the text. That's what I meant. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Ally7

Am I the only person waiting until the New Year to start studying? All the teachers were saying to take this week off anyway!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭Togepi

Ally7 wrote: »
    Am I the only person waiting until the New Year to start studying? All the teachers were saying to take this week off anyway!!

Nope, I am too. :D

My new year's resolution is to study, therefore starting before January 1st would ruin that plan! :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 566 ✭✭✭seriouslysweet

Studied last week, only 2 or 3 hours a day and am taking this week off now. End of story!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 430 ✭✭littlemis

its so difficylt to study over the holidays..all the distractions!!
    i dont even know where to start!
    feeling so over whelmed..i htink il just concentrate on two subjects this week..then back to the 4/5 hours study a night when we get back to school..
    as for study plans..i never stick to them!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Chavways

I'm in school for 5 hours everyday this week studying. It's voluntary aswell which makes it even worse.I didn't think it was going to be so bad when I signed up for it.Complete torture.

Advertisement