Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apple V Galaxy

Options
  • 28-12-2011 1:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Have an iPhone, thinking of going for the Galaxy S2.
    Any advice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,508 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Go for the Galaxy Nexus Prime instead of the Galaxy S2.
    Despite not having an FM radio built in and a 5MP camera instead of an 8MP one, it's a far superior phone in every way, shape and form.
    Far better phone than an iPhone too in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Looks nice, but no expandable memory though? That might be a bit of a drag.

OP, my wife has an S2 and it seems to be a great phone. But it depends what iPhone you're coming from - I have a 4S and there doesn't really seem to be much between the two of them, no matter what the Apple haters say.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭MyKeyG

Eoin wrote: »
    Looks nice, but no expandable memory though? That might be a bit of a drag.

OP, my wife has an S2 and it seems to be a great phone. But it depends what iPhone you're coming from - I have a 4S and there doesn't really seem to be much between the two of them, no matter what the Apple haters say.
    The Apple haters tend to say a lot. My mam has an upgrade coming and she's giving it to me so not sure whether to go with Android or iPhone. Asking the people who own the Android and the Apple respectively which is the best is like asking the Israelis and the Palestinians who's right. They come out with 'we're better than them'.

My neighbour told me that Apple are a closed shop in so far as they only support their own apps and such whereas Android is much more widely compatible. For example Apple don't support flash. I've always dislike Apple because of their apparent only our software or none at all approach. Is there any truth to it? On the other hand Apple supports Sky go where the Android does not. Can anyone give me a short list of important differences. Primarily I would be looking for a phone that gives me access to pretty much whatever I would have access to on my laptop within reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

I'm an android fan and have used iPhones in the past. As much as I love android I would find it hard to pick between iPhone and sg2. Samsung just don't feel strong. Android operating system I much rather than iOS but I also like something that doesn't feel as if it will break with the tiniest drop/bang.
    HTC evo3d myself and it's very well built but not available from any carriers in ireland and you didn't ask about it so no use me going on about it.

Basically.
    Build quality goes to iPhone 4/4s
    OS goes to Sg2. IMHO

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭Dave147

Galaxy Nexus is far better than the SGS 2, I've owned both of them. Nexus is pure google so you will get updates faster, it's already on Android 4.0 - The camera has no shutter lag, so taking a quick snap is no problem, the screen is fantastic and the battery life an improvement. Also build quality is far better and it looks mint too.

• Advertisement

seanybiker wrote: »
    I'm an android fan and have used iPhones in the past. As much as I love android I would find it hard to pick between iPhone and sg2. Samsung just don't feel strong. Android operating system I much rather than iOS but I also like something that doesn't feel as if it will break with the tiniest drop/bang.
    HTC evo3d myself and it's very well built but not available from any carriers in ireland and you didn't ask about it so no use me going on about it.

Basically.
    Build quality goes to iPhone 4/4s
    OS goes to Sg2. IMHO
    OK I'll put it to you this way except for my neighbour and one other mate everyone else I know has the iPhone. Will I have compatibility issues between apps such as the chat apps and so on if I decide to go for Android and every other Tom, Dick and Harry has an Apple?

MyKeyG wrote: »
    OK I'll put it to you this way except for my neighbour and one other mate everyone else I know has the iPhone. Will I have compatibility issues between apps such as the chat apps and so on if I decide to go for Android and every other Tom, Dick and Harry has an Apple?
    Viber works on android and iOS.
    Skype works on both aswell.
    Msn is on both aswell afaik.
    Apple has a lot more apps but that only matters if your gonna use hundreds of thousands of apps.
    I think whatsapp is on both aswell but tbh viber covers that and is better.

Viber works on android and iOS.
    Skype works on both aswell.
    Msn is on both aswell afaik.
    Apple has a lot more apps but that only matters if your gonna use hundreds of thousands of apps.
    I think whatsapp is on both aswell but tbh viber covers that and is better.
    OK cheers for that. whatsapp is the one I had in mind.

MyKeyG wrote: »
    OK cheers for that. whatsapp is the one I had in mind.

Whatsapp is grand but viber is alot better. Free calls and text over internet and you can send pictures. I have family all over the world so its nice to be able to send them a free picture of me sticking my fingers up at them. Lol.

Whatsapp is grand but viber is alot better. Free calls and text over internet and you can send pictures. I have family all over the world so its nice to be able to send them a free picture of me sticking my fingers up at them. Lol.
    LOL. Yeah I just had a look at this and found it quite interesting. The only one that bothers me is the upload through iTunes only for the iPhone. That and the charging. I'll probably go for the iPhone since my iPod is starting to go on the blink.:)

• Advertisement

ah don't mind that link. Tbh I only had a quick gander at it. I wouldn't bother with links like that.
    For example : android is upgradeable.
    That link says its not.

There's your answer so. You have an iPod so you know the workings etc.
    Think that link said you can't upgrade the iPhone battery but ya can. Don't mind warranty and that though lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭amby666

Another little linky just for laughs!

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭Bellu

Well, I believe both have its nice and good features, all depends on the needs and how to use the device.
    There is also another link here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭thebiglad

Had an iphone for 3 years, moved to Galaxy S2 in October due to price and availability of Iphone 4S - regret it.

The S2 may be faster than Iphone (I haven't seen evidence of it) but I would have the Iphone back in a flash and certainly when contract for S2 is out in 9 months time I will be changing back to whatever version of Iphone is then available.

Probably if you have never used an Iphone then the S2 will be fine but I do not believe the S2 is as user friendly.

Certainly the Market Place in Android does not compare to App Store.

But then as a previous poster said it seems to be black and white with most folk - Android/Apple. I am not in the least bit technical and this is my view based on 3 years with Iphone and 3 months (and counting down to 12) with S2.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

thebiglad wrote: »
    But then as a previous poster said it seems to be black and white with most folk - Android/Apple.

That's the problem - the brand is too divisive, so most opinions you get aren't very impartial at all.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,405 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Either or, both are excellent phones, it's the networks you have to worry about!

Advertisement