Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running Clothing/Equipment

• 28-12-2011 1:20am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭

Hey

Newbie here :)

I was wondering if someone could recommend me a decent pair of runners? Also, where could I get decent shorts, tops? etc I was in lifestyle before Christmas and tops for running where like 40euro, being a student I can't afford that!

Also, what book would u guys recommend for diet? I eat like a pig! I'm trying to get more lean, I weigh 75kg, I'm 6ft 1. So I need to get my diet sorted!

thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,142 ✭✭✭rom

Dylanmc111 wrote: »
    Hey

Newbie here :)

I was wondering if someone could recommend me a decent pair of runners? Also, where could I get decent shorts, tops? etc I was in lifestyle before Christmas and tops for running where like 40euro, being a student I can't afford that!

Also, what book would u guys recommend for diet? I eat like a pig! I'm trying to get more lean, I weigh 75kg, I'm 6ft 1. So I need to get my diet sorted!

thanks!

Runner - It all depends on your foot. You can do simple checks to see if you pronate etc and then buy runners on amazon.co.uk or similar. Clothes then the cheapest place I find is heatons. 30-40 euro for a top is silly. I bought brooks running tops " BROOKS SEATTLE COOL MENS WICKING RUNNING T-SHIRT" on ebay. are perfect tops and only 6 euro each. Shorts, pennies used to have them but football shorts are probably the cheapest to get. "running shorts" are about 6 times the price. The runners are the only thing you should buy in a good running shop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Keep an eye on Aldi and Lidl - they do regular sales of running gear, and the socks, tops, shorts etc are all decent quality. And enter the Dublin marathon race series (the 5 mile, 10 mile, half marathon in Phoenix park in the summer), 50 quid to enter the three of them and you get a good quality running t-shirt after each race.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Omega28

thank u:)

I'm loving running at the moment, only been at it a 6 weeks but I'm sticking with it!

I'm really struggling to get past 5km, once I hit 5km I just can't seem to go any further. I really wanna aim for 10km by June! is this possible?

You are running too fast.

Hang on, haven't I already told you this?

You did:)

I don't understand why u have to run "slower" to go further, wouldn't I cover more distance by running faster?:confused:

• Advertisement

You also use more energy. It is more efficient to run slowly, so to cover a greater distance you have to go slowly.

Ok thanks:)

Do you guys consume much water while running? is a sports drink ok to consume while running?

r while running? is a sports drink ok to consume while running?

For 5k? No. Easier to wait until you're finished running. Races will have water stations, but only races 10k or longer. Sports drinks are fine, I don't drink them while running myself but marathons will often have them alongside the water.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

You did:)

I don't understand why u have to run "slower" to go further, wouldn't I cover more distance by running faster?:confused:

I don't get why you don't understand it tbh.

Look at the mens world records:
    200m19.19 400m 43.18
    5k 12:37.35 10k 26:17.53
    Half Marathon 00:58:23 Marathon 2:03:38

To double the distance, you have to signifiacntly lower the pace. This rule applies at all levels, from elites to beginners.

Advertisement