Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fraudulent transactions on aib visa.

• 28-12-2011 1:31am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭

Checked my online banking and noticed the last 2 transactions were not made by me, rang cc services and cancelled card immediately.
    Lady on the phone told me there were more authorized transactions that have not appeared online yet, a substantial amount. Case has been forwarded to the fraud department.

Question is, can I be liable for these transactions?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

In short no.

You will have to wait till all the transactions go through. They will then send you a declaration to sign stating these are not yours along with other pretty standard questions. You then send it back and it's refunded.

May take up to 2 weeks to sort.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭Neilw

In short no.

You will have to wait till all the transactions go through. They will then send you a declaration to sign stating these are not yours along with other pretty standard questions. You then send it back and it's refunded.

Ok, that's a relief. Thanks for the reply.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

Last year I had a computer purchased, hotel used and travel ticket all bought fraudulently on my Visa Card. It was easily identified as a crime, as it was they same pattern they used on 100's of other cards.

Was cleared off my balance by the time I got my next bill. You'll have to fill out some forms they'll send you, that's all

There were online purchases made and purchases in a suburb of Dublin, I'm out of the country. The card never left my wallet.

How can online purchases be made if the 3 digit security code is not available or the billing and shipping addresses don't match?
    What about point of sale without the chip and pin pin number?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 509 ✭✭✭531

it is up to the seller/service provider whether they accept credit card details without security code/chip and pin. The 3 digit code may have been gotten by the fraudster online anyway, as could your address.

As I understand it, banks/credit card companies receive 1.5% of the value of every credit card transaction (they earn this before exhorbitant interest applies). Banks and cc companies are happy to take the hit on a relatively few number of fraud cases because of their huge earnings.

If you can imagine me trying to impersonate Eddie Hobbs (chancer), I'd say, in a smarmy Cork accent 'The credit card has got to go!'

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

In short no.

In short no.

In long - maybe.

If the bank can show you were negligent, maybe you gave your pin to someone etc etc, they may be able to hold you liable - but generally not.

Good news so far, the bank have started refunding the fraudulent transactions, hope they refund them all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭wingnut

Went to use the card yesterday and it was at the limit. Checked the balance online and it was much lower than it should be, but no transactions showing online.

Range the CC Fraud dept (PTSB). They said I had three transactions for EA sports at €68 a pop and €210 on line bet / top up of a betting account. They guy tweaked straight away the card was compromised.

I am careful with the card so I asked him what he thought happened. He was of the opinion one of the retailers I had used recently had their credit card records compromised.

Waiting on the forms now. Stay vigilant folks.

Advertisement