Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

setting up a new scope

• 28-12-2011 1:37am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭

how do you do it?

I put it on the air rifle, fired a shot and feck me, it was so far off even at 20 metres.. aimed at the target and the pellet ended up at the 10 o'clock position but several feet higher up and to the left of the target..

without the scope, I can hit the centre of the target OK

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

CamperMan wrote: »
    how do you do it?

I put it on the air rifle, fired a shot and feck me, it was so far off even at 20 metres.. aimed at the target and the pellet ended up at the 10 o'clock position but several feet higher up and to the left of the target..

I set up a scope.on the cousins air rifle.
    The break barrel rifle he had hinge screw would loosen and accuracy would shift.

Tighten the screw and back on target.

What type of Air Rifle you have?
    Spring loaded or compressed gas operated?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Did you centralise the scope before you fitted it? It sounds like the scope may not be "zeroed" for mounting.

Take the scope, and dial both turrets to their maximum. Now dial all the way back to the other end of the turrets adjustment while counting the clicks/MOA of both the elevation, and windage. For examples sake we'll say there is 50 MOA or 200 clicks on each turret.

Now with the elevation turret amke sure you have it dialled all the way down. Until there is no more down adjustment left. With the windage turret you dial in 25 MOA or 100 clicks. This leaves the elevation turret at its owest setting, and the windage turret centralised (or in the middle of its possible adjustment).

Now re-mount the scope, and line it up at a target at 10 - 15 metres. Fire a shot, and see where it lands. Adjust the scope as necessary until you are in the bull. Remember the amount of clicks you are using. Write it down if necessary.

Once you have it on bull, and can consistantly hit the bull move the target back to say 25metres. Aim, and fire. See the difference in drop and adjust the scope as necessary to hit the bull. Again writing down the adjusments made. Now you can move the scope back to 50 netres or whatever you chosen distance is. The further back you go you may find that you will have to make the occassional windage adjustment as the pellet is more effected by wind over distance.

Try this. If the problem still persists after this then photos of your mounts/setup would help. It could be a mount or even a scope problem.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭CamperMan

Thanks Ezridax

I will try this today

I set up a scope.on the cousins air rifle.
    The break barrel rifle he had hinge screw would loosen and accuracy would shift.

Tighten the screw and back on target.

What type of Air Rifle you have?
    Spring loaded or compressed gas operated?

break barrel, spring loaded Browning Gold Hunter

break barrel, spring loaded Browning Gold Hunter

I know if you fire them off a bipod they are hitting all over the place as they are designed to be fired off hand.

When they fire there is a large spring vibration through the stock.
    If they are held to rigid it can affect the harmonics (how the barrel vibrates) and affects the point of impact.

Very tricky Zero a break barrel for that reason, it's the One of the reasons the compressed gas types became so popular.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Mr.Flibble

Dump the scope; you seem to be doing fine with just the irons.

Mr.Flibble wrote: »
    Dump the scope; you seem to be doing fine with just the irons.

I got the scope to shoot at targets further away :)

I got the scope to shoot at targets further away :)

Did you try Zeroing off the shoulder?
    Tricky, but do-able. I had to help a guy zero his years ago, the screw keep loosening whichwas a PITA

Did you try Zeroing off the shoulder?
    Tricky, but do-able. I had to help a guy zero his years ago, the screw keep loosening whichwas a PITA

Yes, and also lying on the ground with the air rifle resting on a sack

Yes, and also lying on the ground with the air rifle resting on a sack
    Was your accuracy sporadic, or consistantly wrong in the same direction?

• Advertisement

Was your accuracy sporadic, or consistantly wrong in the same direction?

with the scope, it was all over the place, no consistency in the shots, I would be missing the paper target by a good few feet..

with the scope, it was all over the place, no consistency in the shots, I would be missing the paper target by a good few feet..

Scope may be loose, or not able for felt recoil of spring in your rifle.
    As I said earlier loose hinge screws would cause that, or loose mount screws.

What make of scope is it?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Have you tried doing as i suggested above or anything similar so as to pin down the scope as the problem or elominate it rather than constantly guessing what it might or might not be?
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Scope may be loose, or not able for felt recoil of spring in your rifle.
    As I said earlier loose hinge screws would cause that, or loose mount screws.

What make of scope is it?

can't remember the make... the mountings are very tight!

Ezridax wrote: »
    Have you tried doing as i suggested above or anything similar so as to pin down the scope as the problem or elominate it rather than constantly guessing what it might or might not be?

Ye.... I am working on that today :)

Advertisement