Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Learner Driver & Insurance Question?

Options
  • 28-12-2011 1:52am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭

Hi, I'm just learning to drive and I am finding it hard to get insured.

But I was talking to someone and they told me that if I have my prov' license that I can drive any car, once it is insured by the owner and I have the owners permission. Is this true? Or do I just need my own insurance for that car?

And also is it much cheaper to get insured on a family members insurance and their car?

Thanks.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

It is absolutely not true.

Open drive, is a case where someone has a car insured, and anyone can drive that car, so long as they have a full license and are over 25. There are usually more stipulations included, but you'd have to read through the policy documents to understand what's covered exactly.

If you wanted to drive someone elses car you would have to get them to add you as a named driver.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭DJDontaz

Ah I see. Thank you for that. Felt stupid asking that but it's sometimes hard to understand!

Cheers! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

DJDontaz wrote: »
    Ah I see. Thank you for that. Felt stupid asking that but it's sometimes hard to understand!

Cheers! :D

No problem!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

It is absolutely not true.

Open drive, is a case where someone has a car insured, and anyone can drive that car, so long as they have a full license and are over 25. There are usually more stipulations included, but you'd have to read through the policy documents to understand what's covered exactly.

If you wanted to drive someone elses car you would have to get them to add you as a named driver.

You're forgetting about Third party extension, which most policies have. Quinns one, which has a few clauses:
    If your certificate of insurance says so, we will also cover the policyholder for your liability to other people while you are driving any other private motor car which you do not own or have not hired or leased. This benefit applies to full licence drivers only. We will only cover you if:

The vehicle is not owned by your employer or hired to you/them under a hire-purchase or lease agreement;
    You currently hold a full European Union (EU) licence;
    The use of the vehicle is covered in the certificate of insurance;
    Cover is not provided by any other insurance;
    You have the owner’s permission to drive the vehicle;
    The vehicle is in a roadworthy condition;
    You still have your vehicle and it has not been damaged beyond cost-effective repair; and
    Your occupation is not restricted by our acceptance criteria.

Obviously this isn't intended for long term use

• Registered Users Posts: 18,989 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

You're forgetting about Third party extension, which most policies have. Quinns one, which has a few clauses:

Did you miss this bit?
    DJDontaz wrote: »
    I am finding it hard to get insured.

They currently don't have insurance so the they can't use the 3rd party extension and I'd be even more worried if it's available on a learners permit policy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Del2005 wrote: »
    Did you miss this bit?

They currently don't have insurance so the they can't use the 3rd party extension and I'd be even more worried if it's available on a learners permit policy.

Nope, I was clarifying what the OP more than likely heard from someone and got confused about.

Advertisement