Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to get 20m Ethernet cable?

Options
  • 28-12-2011 1:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭

What shops around Dublin would sell a really long ethernet cable.

Its for running a cable from my router to my PS3 into a different room which is on the other side of the house

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,192 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

You could try Peats or Maplin. They're around the corner from each other, on Parnell St. and Jervis St.

Judging by their websites, Peats seem to be the cheapest, but Maplin have more selection.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

This is very untechnical, but there's a device that uses your electric sockets to set up a wireless network. Afaik, it sends the broadband signal through the electricity wires in your house. Here's one.

I'm sure one of the boffins on here will be able to describe it better than I have:o

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭keredern

This is very untechnical, but there's a device that uses your electric sockets to set up a wireless network. Afaik, it sends the broadband signal through the electricity wires in your house. Here's one.

I'm sure one of the boffins on here will be able to describe it better than I have:o
    Devolo 1409 dLAN 200 AV Wireless-N Starter Kit is definitely the way to go!!

It will solve all your problems without any long cables trailing through the house.

Plug the small adapter into a wall socket beside your router & run an ethernet cable from the router to it.

Then plug the larger adapter with the three ethernet ports into a wall socket near your PS3/Xbox/PC or other device & you have the choice of either a wired connection from the adapter to your device or just use the built in wireless.

It's a BRILLIANT piece of kit!!!:)

I have it about a year & it is totally amazing!!!

Up to three wired connections available & numerous wireless ones.

The device 'beams' your broadband from the router via the electrical cables to the large adapter.

This then 'extends' the wireless range & is the perfect solution for people with large houses, thick walls or strange cubby holes!!

Can't recommend it highly enough!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

If at all possible try to get a wired network going. Wireless is grand in most cases and the homeplugs are good too but you cant beat a wired network especially for streaming movies and things like that

Try here for cable TVTRADE.IE
    I have no affiliation at all but the company seems to be great to deal with and prices are great too. I see 10m of cat5 cable is about a fiver and 300m is about fifty quid and I am sure he could give you a quote for 20m too. I bought 50m in Maplin a while back and it cost me €45 - rip off merchants

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭i124Q

keredern wrote: »
    Devolo 1409 dLAN 200 AV Wireless-N Starter Kit is definitely the way to go!!

It will solve all your problems without any long cables trailing through the house.

Plug the small adapter into a wall socket beside your router & run an ethernet cable from the router to it.

Then plug the larger adapter with the three ethernet ports into a wall socket near your PS3/Xbox/PC or other device & you have the choice of either a wired connection from the adapter to your device or just use the built in wireless.

It's a BRILLIANT piece of kit!!!:)

I have it about a year & it is totally amazing!!!

Up to three wired connections available & numerous wireless ones.

The device 'beams' your broadband from the router via the electrical cables to the large adapter.

This then 'extends' the wireless range & is the perfect solution for people with large houses, thick walls or strange cubby holes!!

Can't recommend it highly enough!:D

Well too expensive. But sounds great.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

I use home plugs to send my connection 30 metres to a different premises. I'm getting around 4mbps over the Internet via the cables (25mbps connection) via wireless router. That should be fine for streaming. That's running a mac and an Xbox off a router, connected to home plugs, connected to another router.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

No connection will ever be as good as a direct wired connection and I presume that's why the OP wants it. He could always just use wifi if he was after simplicity. Home Plugs will dramatically reduce the quality of the connection due to electrical interfearence and because electrical wires just arent ment to take a broadband connection.

TechPros in Tallaght or Lucan should be able to get you one, they can make the cables themselves but it might take a day or two before they have it ready, I can give you the number so they get in in before you make the trip into them if you want. PM me for the details.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Trademark

I was just talking to a chap in work about getting the same kind of thing and he sent me to 7dayshop.
    http://www.7dayshop.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=777_9&products_id=105591
    He was connecting up a few things in his house and bought about 100m in total, can't go wrong at that price really!

RAM is pretty cheap there and other small bits and pieces so probably better to order a few things and save on delivery.

Dabs.ie have a huge selection too, depending on the route you take it might be better to get the flat ones or you might have the problem of doors squishing/severing them.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,455 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Trademark wrote: »
    I was just talking to a chap in work about getting the same kind of thing and he sent me to 7dayshop.
    http://www.7dayshop.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=777_9&products_id=105591
    He was connecting up a few things in his house and bought about 100m in total, can't go wrong at that price really!

I'm sorry but €3.73 is way too cheap for a 20m Ethernet cable, there can't be any decent shielding involved. The problem with inferior LAN cabling is that the hardware will keep retrying because of packet loss so the connection will work but the effective speed will be severely diminished.

Classic case of false economy

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

coylemj wrote: »
    I'm sorry but €3.73 is way too cheap for a 20m Ethernet cable, there can't be any decent shielding involved. The problem with inferior LAN cabling is that the hardware will keep retrying because of packet loss so the connection will work but the effective speed will be severely diminished.

Classic case of false economy
    places like peats and maplins will drastically overcharge for network cable.

that price is actually about spot on for a 20m length of decent UTP cable. based on the cost of a 305m roll which you can get from any electrical supplier for less than 60 quid, you could buy a box and cut it into 20m lengths and terminate it yourself and you'd pretty much break even selling it at that price.

factor in the reduced cost of automated processes and buying it in bulk already made up and i'm sure they're able to source decent cable to sell and are still making a modest profit on it.

also, there's not meant to be any shielding on that particular cable, it's UTP which is still fine for pretty much any usage in a home setting, doubly so at such a short distance.

STP (shielded cable) is designed to be used in particular areas in corporate or industrial settings where there is a potential for a lot of EM interference, particularly on long runs of cable where extended runs can amplify the effect. if you live in a house where EM interference is bad enough that you'd NEED to use STP then interference free wired networking is going to be the least of your problems.

• Advertisement
Advertisement