Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Future of Education?

• 28-12-2011 2:36am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 179 ✭✭

I came across this video on youtube which I found interesting regarding Salman Khan's (founder of khanacademy.org) predictions on the future of education. I am a student (second level) and I think it would be interesting to see what you think about the future of education. I'll be doing the leaving cert in six months or so and I don't know if it is just me, that I have become quite disillusioned with it all. It seems in school all we do is learn purely to do well in tests. I enjoy learning new things but I think syllabuses and tests suck the life out of the joy of learning, even though I usually do quite well in tests. I wish school was more like something described in the video rather than a recital of the syllabus. I spend a lot of time doing 'extra curricular' learning at home but it just seems worthless compared to the self contained bubble of the leaving cert. I'm not sure if I have just stirred up the hornet's nest but I think it would be interesting to hear your views as teachers etc. on this video.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,271 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Active/discovery learning isn't really new. It was the methodology we were taught to employ when I went to teacher training college over 30 years ago.

Unfortunately in Ireland, the influence of 'educational' businesses aimed purely at preparing customers for the exam, without any care for 'drawing out from within', has led to an exam-oriented system.

Hopefully that's going to change, but change in educational circles tends to come slowly.

While the ideas behind the video were good, I think the speaker got a bit confused in his simplistic reasoning as to how States could fund huge salaries for the 'master teachers'. Funding of 25 students at the rate of 10,000 each, does not equate with being able to pay individual teachers 150,000 - 200,000.

Advertisement