Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dell XPS (Spec inside)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭cronos

K.Hammett wrote: »
    Dell XPS 15

http://configure.euro.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?oc=n00x5m06&c=ie&l=en&s=dhs&cs=iedhs1&model_id=xps-l502x-proc-mod

Already reduced 15%

Than you use the 15% coupon which brings it to the 726
    then use the free delivery which takes the 30 off

Link for free shipping and additional 15% off:
    http://buy-ireland.com/dell-discount-coupons.php

Link for 4% cashback:
    http://www.bethrifty.ie/Dell

Final Price is 696 euro from a laptop originally valued at 1388 euro.

The starting price must have changed as it's now around 990 and after the 15 percent discount it's not 726 but it's 823 something. Could be im doing something wrong though.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

cronos wrote: »
    The starting price must have changed as it's now around 990 and after the 15 percent discount it's not 726 but it's 823 something. Could be im doing something wrong though.
    I got the same, 823.65.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Smoggy

price must have gone up, as the starting price is now 999.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Africa

I lost my faith in Dell laptops and whatever Dell does as a business a while ago since every laptop I or anyone I know that was a Dell failed miserably and at the worst possible times ever (exam times!)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

Africa wrote: »
    I lost my faith in Dell laptops and whatever Dell does as a business a while ago since every laptop I or anyone I know that was a Dell failed miserably and at the worst possible times ever (exam times!)

This range of xps is the best consumer laptop dell have made in a long time and has a huge following on the web if anyone does run into problems...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

I've ordered for and referred friends and family members to Dell for laptops over the years only for them to have repeated issues. Either there's an inherent fault with the laptop, e.g. GPU burns out the motherboard repeatedly, even after several replacements, design flaw in screen assembly leading to repeated breaks etc, or Dell refuse to accept a return even when it's covered not only in their own warranty, but within Irish and EU consumer law.

While this might be a good bargain and XPS laptops might currently be lauded by their owners, I for one have avoided Dell like the plague and recommend prospective buyers research into the specific model or family of Dell laptop they're interested in before buying.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

I lived on Dell bargains like the cheap Vostro range however in recent years find myself avoiding them , I had a simple issue with them a year or so ago and had to take them to the Small Claims Court as their as their customer service phoneline is an absolute nightmare.
    Never again.

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭kendragon

beno619 wrote: »
    This range of xps is the best consumer laptop dell have made in a long time and has a huge following on the web if anyone does run into problems...

OT I know but I have to wonder if their quality went down hill when the manufacturing plant was relocated. Wishful thinking on my part maybe but I would get some satisfaction if it was true.

Rsaeire wrote: »
    I've ordered for and referred friends and family members to Dell for laptops over the years only for them to have repeated issues. Either there's an inherent fault with the laptop, e.g. GPU burns out the motherboard repeatedly, even after several replacements, design flaw in screen assembly leading to repeated breaks etc, or Dell refuse to accept a return even when it's covered not only in their own warranty, but within Irish and EU consumer law.

While this might be a good bargain and XPS laptops might currently be lauded by their owners, I for one have avoided Dell like the plague and recommend prospective buyers research into the specific model or family of Dell laptop they're interested in before buying.

Fair enough, was just saying that this particular range of xps has been received well and has a lot of satisfied owners, iv had to deal with dell before about a desktop and yeh some customer service reps are morons :/
    Think were going off topic tho :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Ronan H

Great bargain for a cracking machine. I have an XPS laptop for the past three years and it is still running extremely fast and has been more or less problem free during that time. The problem I did have was swiftly sorted out by Dell.

Thumbs up from me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭Diabhal_Glas

I have a dell xps M 1530, have it 3 1/2 years. Never had a problem with it up until 1/2 a year ago. The screen sometimes goes a bit funny but works fine when I rotate it a tiny amount. The laptop has been used a lot though in those three years and besides the screen problem continues to work great. I would buy one again.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭manufan16

Head wrote: »
    Great bargain for a cracking machine. I have an XPS laptop for the past three years and it is still running extremely fast and has been more or less problem free during that time. The problem I did have was swiftly sorted out by Dell.

Thumbs up from me.

Same here, this is v tempting

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭kojack

I bought this laptop in September and paid €760 for it. Dell were doing an offer through their university programme. It is a fairly quick machine but it is heavy aswel. I upgraded the battery also and it sticks out from the bottom of the machine, but I don't mind. JBL speakers are great too gives a nice sound and there is a subwoofer underneath.

I have a dell xps M 1530, have it 3 1/2 years. Never had a problem with it up until 1/2 a year ago. The screen sometimes goes a bit funny but works fine when I rotate it a tiny amount. The laptop has been used a lot though in those three years and besides the screen problem continues to work great. I would buy one again.

That's the exact model I have, for about the same length of time, paid 1200 bills for it but it was worth it no doubt. I know the model currently being discussed is slightly different but anything with XPS in the title has my attention since buying mine. Still boots to static pointer in 45 seconds!

I should stop reading this thread or I might end up buying a new XPS even though I don't need it!

I'd like to think that the currently discussed model, if historical models are anything to go by, will be a workhorse too and should keep owners happy for a couple of years at least...

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

That's the exact model I have, for about the same length of time, paid 1200 bills for it but it was worth it no doubt. I know the model currently being discussed is slightly different but anything with XPS in the title has my attention since buying mine. Still boots to static pointer in 45 seconds!

I should stop reading this thread or I might end up buying a new XPS even though I don't need it!

I'd like to think that the currently discussed model, if historical models are anything to go by, will be a workhorse too and should keep owners happy for a couple of years at least...

boot times dont reflect build quality... the issue with any manufacturer is not the software... its the contruction quality and after sales support... something dell really are bottom barrel for...

boot times dont reflect build quality... the issue with any manufacturer is not the software... its the contruction quality and after sales support... something dell really are bottom barrel for...

Fair point on boot times.

I have never had issues with build quality, on any of the Dell machines I have had over the last ten years, at home or at work. Nor have I had an issue with their after sales support. There are probably many people in the same boat as myself. Bottom of the barrell for both these things? Not for me anyway, certainly a moot point...

XPS build quality is excellent from the www community activity I have seen since owning one, and fropm owning it also.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭dazzday

Personally I wouldnt go near this without the screen upgrade.
    The standard HD screen on the xps is arguably one of the worst 15inch screens I have ever used- washed out colours, horrible blacks and terrible viewing angles.
    You may think it wont bother you too much as you dont do any design etc but when trying to watch a movies with friends and can only gather two around the screen, or when someone opens up their macbook pro alongside and you see the vast difference in colour reproduction you will really notice its faults.
    However the upgraded 1080 screen is an absolutely gorgeous display (some argue the best non-ips screen on the market) and imo a must if considering the xps. It really is the only feaure that stands the model out in the multimedia 15inch category.

Otherwise consider the Asus N55sf which easily rivals it in multimedia capabilities (Bang & Olufsen speakers, external subwoofer, Blu-ray as standard, 900 or 1080 screen options) but also fairly dominates it in terms of gaming capabilities with the GT555M which is a solid mid-range gaming card.

http://komplett.ie/Komplett/product/ZKB_02PC/02_NOTEBOO/21_15/productdetails/80004686/Asus_15_6_N55SF_S1060V_i7_2630_6GB_500GB/N55SF_S1060V/default.aspx for the i7 core

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/asus-n55sf-s2276v-15-6-laptop-11428458-pdt.html in store at €820 for i5 core.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

The price is coming around 823. OP can you explain how did you come up with 696?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭Charlie Haughy

Price seems to have gone up. Ah well, im happy with my XPS 15 I got in november for €650... its got an i5 but I doubt I would even use the extra power of the i7 anyway.

The speakers in this laptop are the best laptop speakers I have ever heard. Nothing comes close. Also the build quality is good IMO. Not thinkpad levels, but good still.

Those comparing macbooks in this thread... the macbook is double the price. Has no relevance.

Few things I recommend to get, get the backlit keyboard and extra 3 year warranty. Also upgrade the wireless card to the best one.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭dave_t

I ordered this yesterday. The price was €849 or something along those lines, not €999, before applying 15% and free delivery coupons. I ended up paying €696.15. Seems to have gone up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭K.Hammett

Yes, the original price discount seems to have decreased since yesterday. Still not a bad price though considering.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Jonny7

Fair point on boot times.

I have never had issues with build quality, on any of the Dell machines I have had over the last ten years, at home or at work. Nor have I had an issue with their after sales support. There are probably many people in the same boat as myself. Bottom of the barrell for both these things? Not for me anyway, certainly a moot point...

XPS build quality is excellent from the www community activity I have seen since owning one, and fropm owning it also.

Well when they can knock 300 euros off the price doesn't in concern you that they are horribly overpriced to start with? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭EGriff

I've had 1 of these for a year a little over a year. No major problems really except it reboots for no reason lately every once in a while.

The build quality is rubbish though, it just does not feel like a quality product, nowhere near a cheaper or similar priced vaio. That lid that looks like aluminium on the website is actually crappy plastic and the whole machine gets scuffed and marked very easily. It's quite heavy too.

I wouldn't buy one again.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

Would advise against Dell as many others in this thread (I realise this is the BA forum but at the same time, it's not a bargain when it breaks down after spending that kind of money on it).

I had a Dell PC, standard enough and it was damaged beyond repair after about 18 months (didn't replace it). I bought a top of the line Alienware PC (Alienware is a subsidiary of Dell) which didn't function when it was sent to me - it would start up then freeze after a few minutes of use. I sent it back to them (which I paid for myself - cost quite a bit as it was heavy as phuck) and a couple of months later they sent it back to me and it wasn't even fixed - at which point the hardware I paid for initially was now decreased in value. As I was not particularly tech savvy at the time I could not fix the issue myself and didn't have the funds to get it fixed professionally (sending it back to Dell again was pointless and expensive despite paying for insurance of the machine).

I have since had a HP desktop (mid-range when purchased) and Toshiba laptop (high-end when purchased) for 5 years, both of which are still functioning perfectly. I'm not one for holding grudges against companies but considering I was a 'kid' at the time and I pissed away a summer's wages on a machine I couldn't afford to fix I will never, ever buy anything from Dell or it's subsidiaries again and I will go out of my way to advise people against buying Dell as from my experience there are far, far better alternatives.

People reading this thread should bear in mind that it is always the negative stories and reports that dominate threads like this. A negative story has far more impact on someones psyche than a positive one. Also, people are more inclined (sorry but it's true) to make the effort to propagate negative information rather than positive information. I just think people should bear that in mind...

Caveat emptor for sure, and yes, do your research before you buy, but don't assume that because there are a lot of negative stories out there about (any given) products, that they are not worth considering. That is all, apologies for digressing OT.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Wouldn't agree with all of that. What you said may be true for their consumer range and perhaps the XPS but the build quality and after sales support for their Latitude and Precision laptops is top notch.

For example, I bought an outlet Latitude E5420 a couple of weeks ago. The laptop itself is top-notch. It's incredibly solid and just feels "right" in the hand when it comes to the materials used and how everything fits together. I also have no complaints about their after-sales service. I've had to deal with them twice for this laptop so far. The first time was the moment I received the laptop. The laptop was supposed to come with a non-backlit trackstick keyboard but they shipped it with a non-backlit non-trackstick keyboard. I rang them at 4PM on Monday and by 12PM Tuesday they had sent me a backlit trackstick keyboard as a goodwill gesture.

Yesterday I rang them about what appeared to be some form of electrostatic interference and tomorrow they're sending out someone to replace the motherboard.

Credit where credit is due, Dell's business laptops and their business support is by and large excellent.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 779 ✭✭✭Propane Nightmare

Just buy on the UK outlet when it comes to dell. I bought a refurb XPS 15 with an i5 sandybridge, 640gb 7200rpm HD, GT 525m GFX card, 6gb Ram, TV tuner, 3 year warranty etc. and it only cost me just over €470 converted. Super deal.
    Best thing was they also sent me a carry bag, bluetooth mouse, backlit keyboard, bluetooth 2x 2 wireless card built in, all of which were not meant to come with it, well at least weren't in the listing in the email.

<3 Dell

If your getting this lads try stretch for the 9 cell battery you can sqeeze 6 hours outta that baby !
    And yeh the standard screen could be better but if you bump up the brightness when watching a film it's not too bad ..

• Registered Users Posts: 26 leftwinger

jive wrote: »
    Would advise against Dell as many others in this thread (I realise this is the BA forum but at the same time, it's not a bargain when it breaks down after spending that kind of money on it).

I had a Dell PC, standard enough and it was damaged beyond repair after about 18 months (didn't replace it). I bought a top of the line Alienware PC (Alienware is a subsidiary of Dell) which didn't function when it was sent to me - it would start up then freeze after a few minutes of use. I sent it back to them (which I paid for myself - cost quite a bit as it was heavy as phuck) and a couple of months later they sent it back to me and it wasn't even fixed - at which point the hardware I paid for initially was now decreased in value. As I was not particularly tech savvy at the time I could not fix the issue myself and didn't have the funds to get it fixed professionally (sending it back to Dell again was pointless and expensive despite paying for insurance of the machine).

I have since had a HP desktop (mid-range when purchased) and Toshiba laptop (high-end when purchased) for 5 years, both of which are still functioning perfectly. I'm not one for holding grudges against companies but considering I was a 'kid' at the time and I pissed away a summer's wages on a machine I couldn't afford to fix I will never, ever buy anything from Dell or it's subsidiaries again and I will go out of my way to advise people against buying Dell as from my experience there are far, far better alternatives.

Are you nuts ?? If you have insurance then you should use it. Why did you take out the insurance policy if you are not going to use it ?? Also, if you have been using HP and Toshiba systems fot the last 5 years then I would suggest that Dell did not own Alienware when you bought their system.Dll took it over in late 2006.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

Just buy on the UK outlet when it comes to dell. I bought a refurb XPS 15 with an i5 sandybridge, 640gb 7200rpm HD, GT 525m GFX card, 6gb Ram, TV tuner, 3 year warranty etc. and it only cost me just over €470 converted. Super deal.
    Best thing was they also sent me a carry bag, bluetooth mouse, backlit keyboard, bluetooth 2x 2 wireless card built in, all of which were not meant to come with it, well at least weren't in the listing in the email.

<3 Dell

Dont think dell UK outlet deliver to Ireland.

Advertisement