Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dell XPS (Spec inside)

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Jaafa

coldfire1x wrote: »
    Dont think dell UK outlet deliver to Ireland.

Use deliverme.ie, 22 euro gets it to your door.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭NewHillel

Head wrote: »
    People reading this thread should bear in mind that it is always the negative stories and reports that dominate threads like this. A negative story has far more impact on someones psyche than a positive one. Also, people are more inclined (sorry but it's true) to make the effort to propagate negative information rather than positive information. I just think people should bear that in mind...

Caveat emptor for sure, and yes, do your research before you buy, but don't assume that because there are a lot of negative stories out there about (any given) products, that they are not worth considering. That is all, apologies for digressing OT.

Couldn't agree more. I've used Dell machines, at home and work, for many years. I've only had two problems. One was on a personal laptop - the motherboard was replaced without fuss or bother. We also had a batch of faulty batteries, at work.

As PC's go they are pretty competitive and reliable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

leftwinger wrote: »
    Are you nuts ?? If you have insurance then you should use it. Why did you take out the insurance policy if you are not going to use it ?? Also, if you have been using HP and Toshiba systems fot the last 5 years then I would suggest that Dell did not own Alienware when you bought their system.Dll took it over in late 2006.

yep the usual crap people speak about companies , ohh i had insurance but could not fix it myself ????? or i broke the screen and they want to charge me , or i spilt coke all over it and it will not turn on :rolleyes: . I have worked on alienware machines and any customers i have gone to love them .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

leftwinger wrote: »
    Are you nuts ?? If you have insurance then you should use it. Why did you take out the insurance policy if you are not going to use it ?? Also, if you have been using HP and Toshiba systems fot the last 5 years then I would suggest that Dell did not own Alienware when you bought their system.Dll took it over in late 2006.

Poor writing on my part, Laptop was 5 years have had the desktop 4. The insurance policy was such that they would cover any faults within 3 years or along those lines, as I wrote previously I sent it back to them and they sent it back with the same problem still occurring. Why would I send it back again? The postage costs money and if you're familiar with Alienware desktops they are fairly large and heavy machines. After becoming a bit more tech savvy in later years I was able to fix it myself but it was essentially obsolete with regards my intentions for the machine and as I had replaced it with the HP.

I also had a friend come to me recently as her laptop broke down (~1 year old) - it was a Dell. You can say that most people don't have these problems and that's fair enough. From what I've seen, and what I've had to deal with, I'd recommend Acer, Toshiba, HP, Apple, Samsung, Sony etc. ahead of Dell based on MY experience.

Basically I've had 2 Dell's - 1 from a subsidiary of Dell and 1 from Dell directly - both required a replacement of dodgy parts (1 upon receiving, 1 after 18 months). If you want a good, reliable PC/laptop then don't go for Dell is what I've learned (again, from MY experience).
    duckysauce wrote: »
    yep the usual crap people speak about companies , ohh i had insurance but could not fix it myself ????? or i broke the screen and they want to charge me , or i spilt coke all over it and it will not turn on :rolleyes: . I have worked on alienware machines and any customers i have gone to love them .

You realise they sent me a faulty machine, right? And when I sent it back they sent it back to me, still broken? I'm well aware of things which are not covered by the policies. The build itself was nice and clean but that doesn't mean anything when it didn't function. As I said, Dell are the only company I've ever had a gripe with. Alienware are also ridiculously overpriced but such was my ignorance at the time I made a mistake. Being overpriced and being sent a dud are different, though.

Head wrote: »
    People reading this thread should bear in mind that it is always the negative stories and reports that dominate threads like this. A negative story has far more impact on someones psyche than a positive one. Also, people are more inclined (sorry but it's true) to make the effort to propagate negative information rather than positive information. I just think people should bear that in mind...

Caveat emptor for sure, and yes, do your research before you buy, but don't assume that because there are a lot of negative stories out there about (any given) products, that they are not worth considering. That is all, apologies for digressing OT.

Fair point but if you pay big money for a machine you expect to get what you pay for. If I paid buttons for something I'd expect it to fall apart fairly rapidly. If this thread were about another computer company and someone wanted advice I would chime in on what I've seen based on my own experience. With Dell I feel obliged to warn people about the crap I was given in return for good money; it's then up to them whether or not they want to take the plunge. They have these offers of 15% off this and 15% off that and free delivery every other day, and can do so as many of their items are overpriced. If you've spent any amount of time on this forum you'll see Dell popping up every other week with 15% off etc.

Anyway I've said my piece, I'm out!

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭Dec4

Than you use the 15% coupon which brings it to the 726
    then use the free delivery which takes the 30 off

Acc to T&Cs on Dell site only 1 coupon can be used with any order. I presume they don't invoke this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

I've used 15% off and free delivery together no problem.

Terribly slow though, ordered December 14th, not to be delivered until January 4th!

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭dave_t

I used both coupons together with no problem on the 27th Dec. Estimated delivery is 9th Jan but it was shipped yesterday so I expect to get it before then.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

My Xps 1530 is still going strong 5 years on , Its had a hard life and was used as a main computer for nearly a year , only thing thats gone wrong is the harddrive which I replaced no hassle.

Advertisement