Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

level 7 degree @ ordinary level TEFL

• 28-12-2011 3:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 38

hi all, i have a level 7 degree at ordinary level in construction refurbishment maintainance management. my question is am i eligable for a tefl course and to teach abroad or do i need a higher degree thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭cloneslad

most people can do a TEFL course, it's just a matter of paying for it.

You can work abroad if someone wants to give you a job.

Some countries require and ordinary level bachelors degree to obtain a visa (Korea for example) others just require you to be white and the visa can be worked around.

In short, yes and no you don't need a higher level degree.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 shanem4422

thanks for the reply, are you currently teaching in mongolia? are you enjoying the experience overall, did you teach anywhere else?

I'm back in Ireland. I know some people teaching in Mongolia at the minute, they like it there. I taught in Korea for a few years, it was good money and a great life.

can you tell me the best route about gatting a job, did you use an agency or seek out your own job, is a certain type of year better to apply? any pitfalls or caon to watch out for?

for korea, there is a massive TEFL in South Korea thread already in this forum.

Best time of year to apply for public school would be for the two blocks of mass hiring, which happen in sept and march. You'd have to apply a few months in advance.

Check out daves esl job forum for advertised jobs. Apply with as many recruiters as possible when looing for a jobin the private system (you can only make one application to the public system, per hiring block)

Some public jobs are advertised independently, so you can apply for as many of them as possible.

Make sure your flights, insurance, tax and pension are all being paid. Also speak to the current / past teachers of the school tof ind out as much information as possible.

Research the hell out of the area you'll be living, last thing you'll want is a year in some boring áss town with nothing to do.

• Advertisement

cloneslad wrote: »
    for korea, there is a massive TEFL in South Korea thread already in this forum.

Best time of year to apply for public school would be for the two blocks of mass hiring, which happen in sept and march. You'd have to apply a few months in advance.

Check out daves esl job forum for advertised jobs. Apply with as many recruiters as possible when looing for a jobin the private system (you can only make one application to the public system, per hiring block)

Some public jobs are advertised independently, so you can apply for as many of them as possible.

Make sure your flights, insurance, tax and pension are all being paid. Also speak to the current / past teachers of the school tof ind out as much information as possible.

Research the hell out of the area you'll be living, last thing you'll want is a year in some boring áss town with nothing to do.

one last question , can you tell me where you done your tefl course or do you know of any that are better options than others
    . thanks. shane

Advertisement