Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to rent a mac book/imac or similiar to edit film?

Options
  • 28-12-2011 4:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭

Hi guys,

I've got a couple of films for my graduation year at college that I need to edit early in the new year and I'd like to do a lot of the editing at home as most of the other groups in my year will be doing. The problem is that I don't have a laptop powerful enough to edit on or even run editing software on.

So i'm just wondering if any of you guys know of anywhere I could rent a powerful desktop or laptop - ideally an imac or mac book pro (as we use FCP at college) cheaply enough for a week or two?

And what prices could I expect to pay?

I saw compub had some rental options but their prices were crazy and utterly out of my range so if any of you can point me toward better alternatives I'd hugely appreciate it!

Thanks
    DrF.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭decob

you could try Camerakit or Filmbase

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I wouldn't think you'd find places that would rent out high end computers. If there was such a placed I'd assume they'd rent desktops over laptops. Laptops aren't really what most people would use, they're underpowered, over priced and a dead end when it comes to hardware evolution.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭DrFroggies

decob wrote: »
    you could try Camerakit or Filmbase

Thanks decob camerakit have something there alright...their prices are a bit steep but i might see if they'd be willing to offer a student rate or something similiar. Didn't see any option on the filmbase website but will check with them when they reopen after the holidays
    ScumLord wrote: »
    I wouldn't think you'd find places that would rent out high end computers. If there was such a placed I'd assume they'd rent desktops over laptops. Laptops aren't really what most people would use, they're underpowered, over priced and a dead end when it comes to hardware evolution.

Cheers ScumLord...actually I should have said either laptop or desktop...sorry just have laptops on the mind as that's what i'm gonna need to purchase for another project (involving travelling for months etc). Will change the OP to include desktop.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭muggyog

Have you tried these guys?

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭DrFroggies

muggyog wrote: »
    Have you tried these guys?

Thanks muggydog, I've actually sent them a mail but they haven't gotten back to me yet. I'll give them a call tomorrow if they haven't replied by then.

• Advertisement
Advertisement