Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Indo supporting animal cruelty

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

The main reason for hunting tourists in the West of Ireland is not because they want to murder and innocent animal, its because of the stone walls and wild country side. I cant see why they dont ban the hunting of foxes and do drag hunting instead.

Isnt that what they have done in England?

The one off houses killed that romantic dream...:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,542 ✭✭✭Captain Darling

galwayrush wrote: »
    The one off houses killed that romantic dream...:D:D

Too true. Never mind fox hunting, its one off housing that is killing the country side.

Houses sticking out all over the place like pimples on a septic arse!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

The main reason for hunting tourists in the West of Ireland is not because they want to murder and innocent animal, its because of the stone walls and wild country side. I cant see why they dont ban the hunting of foxes and do drag hunting instead.

Isnt that what they have done in England?

Huntin down some fellah because he likes wearin a skirt is taken it a bit far, IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

Cars squash foxes. Down with cars. Down with people who own cars or horses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Benny_Cake

SisterAnn wrote: »
    ItsAWindUp wrote: »
    Did God grant you to right to slaughter innocent animals?

Country people have an inalienable right to defend their livestock, and it would be a cruel God who would deny us. Be it dogs worrying sheep or a fox after hens we are right to eliminate the threat. At least the hunt gives the little sneaky blighter a chance. It's not his worst enemy.They'll be sure to get both barrels around here.

Total nonsense.

If a fox was genuinely terrorising your livestock and affecting your livelihood then I would consider you well within your rights to shoot it. Dressing up like an idiot and riding around after it on horseback is a completely different matter.

And before you try to turn it into an urban vs rural issue, my family roots are in the countryside. "Hunt" supporters try to make out that it's part of rural heritage and that people from all walks of life take part, which isn't true, and even if it was wouldn't justify such barbarism.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

kincsem wrote: »
    Cars squash foxes. Down with cars. Down with people who own cars or horses.

they dont set out to terrorise the foxes, thats accidental and your post is laughable at best.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

Benny_Cake wrote: »
    Total nonsense.

If a fox was genuinely terrorising your livestock and affecting your livelihood then I would consider you well within your rights to shoot it. Dressing up like an idiot and riding around after it on horseback is a completely different matter.

And before you try to turn it into an urban vs rural issue, my family roots are in the countryside. "Hunt" supporters try to make out that it's part of rural heritage and that people from all walks of life take part, which isn't true, and even if it was wouldn't justify such barbarism. This

Its part of our heritage alright, that is, the heritage of the English gentry landlords.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,838 ✭✭✭midlandsmissus

Sister Ann if you're defending your livestock why not just shoot the fox? Why dress up on twenty horses with twenty hounds and parade around for the day?. It looks so f*cking idiotic more than anything.

cowzerp wrote: »
    they dont set out to terrorise the foxes, thats accidental and your post is laughable at best.
    Nice to hear you laughed. Foxes hunt. Sparrowhawks hunt the goldfinches in my garden. Hunting is common in nature.

People hunt foxes for sport. Mostly it is to have a day out in the countryside riding their horses.

I ate turkey at Christmas and wear leather shoes. Moaning about people who own hunters chasing foxes is just pious pointless finger pointing.

Is it ok to replace fox hunting with spammer hunting no?
    I see asshole spammer is back again....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭LK_Dave

We should follow Englands lead and ban fox hunting with hounds. It's really quite a barbaric 'sport'.

Fox hunting still exists in England. They get around the ban by training an Eagle Owl to kill the fox before the hounds get to do so. Of course it doesn't always work out that way....I know of one hunt where the hounds killed the bird.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

It's just a shame that the foxes don't have opposable thumbs - Otherwise, I'd arm them all with machine guns, buy a bucket of popcorn and kick back while they ravage these snobby, self-righteous twats.

Chasing down a fox is barbaric.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

Britain's loss in this is Ireland's gain. We get a lot of folk coming over for hunts. Badly needed €€€ for us.

New Labour's crazy move there was easily pushed through by a relatively large urban population with a poor understanding of country sports.

I could never see a Garda squad car hassling a hunt here. We'll always have this fine winter tradition. It is a glorious thing to see. There are no 'toffs' in my local hunt. They are farming folk largely and love horses.

It does taste nice in fairness.

Controlling the fox population is fine, but if you want to do that just shoot the little beggars quietly and don't make an obscene, triumphalist spectacle out of it. I might understand people doing that if they were hunting dangerous big cats on their own, but a bunch of bloodthirsty goons with a pack of dogs chasing one little fox? How can you be proud of that?
    Just admit that the people on these hunts do it because they enjoy it, not because they want to control the fox population and protect their chickens, because there are so many more efficient ways to do that.

As for your imagined country/city divide, that's just nonsense.

I also don't buy the "it's tradition" argument for one second.
    We used to sacrifice people to the gods of nature for a long, long time, longer than people having been hunting on Stephen's Day. Should we still be doing that?

I'm pro asshole spamming though. Where does this leave me?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭MungBean

Nice to hear you laughed. Foxes hunt. Sparrow hawks hunt the goldfinches in my garden. Hunting is common in nature.

Do foxes and sparrow hawks hunt on horseback with trained packs of dogs ?
    People hunt foxes for sport. Mostly it is to have a day out in the countryside riding their horses.

Calling it a sport doesnt justify it just makes it more ignorant. Terrorising and slaughtering a living creature for fun is low. If a fox did it to your chickens ( as so often pointed out) you call it vermin and head off to kill it.

Are you vermin ? Should you be hunted down and killed for sport to fill a sunday afternoon ?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,876 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

If you think this can be compared to Fox then you have never watched Fox.

I do watch Faux News every so often just to see how bad it is and how biased it is.

Same with this rubbish in the Indo.

No question of the cruelty and terror the innocent animal is exposed to.

No question on damage to property.

Just a jolly day out for all. :rolleyes:

Now what happens when animals are abused in certain working class parts of Dublin? "Sick evil scum's cruelty means horse is put down" or something similar is you read in the Indo. Yet, it's ok to be evil to animals in rural settings so long as you dress up like lorded English gentry. :rolleyes:

I feel sorry for decent countryfolk who abhor the cruelty that the Indo portrayed as a bit of fun, and which in turn other countryfolk claim is their "way of life".

It's no more their way of life than shooting up heroin is in urban areas.

I'm pro asshole spamming though. Where does this leave me?

Hmm, dilema i guess, but on the other hand sounds like fun.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Scruffles

Is it ok to replace fox hunting with spammer hunting no?
    yes,we are replacing fox hunting with human hunting.
    human population is getting out of hand and needs control,we shall be using pitbulls seized from gangs as our hounds and have a variety of weapons such as tazers,cross bows & mini chainsaws to keep it fun humane.
    of course,this isnt a sport though,its population and pest control,its helping them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Benny_Cake

cowzerp wrote: »
    Nice to hear you laughed. Foxes hunt. Sparrowhawks hunt the goldfinches in my garden. Hunting is common in nature.

I ate turkey at Christmas and wear leather shoes. Moaning about people who own hunters chasing foxes is just pious pointless finger pointing.

It must be possible to have a day out in the countryside horseriding without scaring a fox to death?

I've nothing against people hunting - it isn't for me but as long as it takes account of conservation issues and the hunter would eat whatever he shot I wouldn't have much of an issue. Chasing foxes in this fashion isn't hunting.

MungBean wrote: »
    Do foxes and sparrow hawks hunt on horseback with trained packs of dogs ?

Calling it a sport doesnt justify it just makes it more ignorant. Terrorising and slaughtering a living creature for fun is low. If a fox did it to your chickens ( as so often pointed out) you call it vermin and head off to kill it.

Are you vermin ? Should you be hunted down and killed for sport to fill a sunday afternoon ?
    I haven't seen foxes on horseback with trained packs of dogs hunting foxes, but I'll keep a look out. :)

I do not support hunting foxes with hounds. I am in favour of horses exercising across the countryside. Of course thoroughbred horses do not occur in nature, and are a manufactured breed produced to amuse the wealthy. The same for the hounds. The foxes are original, and I think they will survive. Foxes look cuddly. My sister feeds them in her garden here in south county Dublin. She thinks she is helping the environment, flora, fauna, and the like.

The discussion revolves around cruelty in a fox hunt. It isn't nice and I do not support it, but I don't feel strongly enough about it to worry about it. The only thing that attracts hunt saboteurs to it is they want to be seen to do the PC thing. But dogs are thrown out after Christmas, Loads of bad things happen. The fox hunt is just a bigger spectacle for the anti-hunt lobby to display their worthiness.

Am I vermin? Nice question. I assume the person who applies that label has already made up their mind.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Oh wiley fox....you may have escaped toffee nosed c*nts with dogs, but see how you fair under the wheels of my car.

I haven't seen foxes on horseback with trained packs of dogs hunting foxes, but I'll keep a look out. :)

I do not support hunting foxes with hounds. I am in favour of horses exercising across the countryside. Of course thoroughbred horses do not occur in nature, and are a manufactured breed produced to amuse the wealthy. The same for the hounds. The foxes are original, and I think they will survive. Foxes look cuddly. My sister feeds them in her garden here in south county Dublin. She thinks she is helping the environment, flora, fauna, and the like.

The discussion revolves around cruelty in a fox hunt. It isn't nice and I do not support it, but I don't feel strongly enough about it to worry about it. The only thing that attracts hunt saboteurs to it is they want to be seen to do the PC thing. But dogs are thrown out after Christmas, Loads of bad things happen. The fox hunt is just a bigger spectacle for the anti-hunt lobby to display their worthiness.

Am I vermin? Nice question. I assume the person who applies that label has already made up their mind.

I am not calling you vermin just highlighting the fact that people who see hunting as ok because other animals do it never see a human hunting equivalent to an animals hunting. People refer to a fox as vermin because it hunts yet when they do it its ok because its a bit of fun on a sunday.

You sound like your against cruelty to animals. You seem to know its wrong to inflict suffering on a living creature for entertainment. Yet dont have a very high opinion of those who would campaign against it. I cant see why you would be against it happening and at the same time denouncing people for trying to stop it.

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Ms. Pingui

I'm from the country and I have spent my whole life around horses and I train horses. Most people on this thread seem to think that evryone who hunts is stuck up and posh and loves killing animals.

I know heaps of people who hunt and the vast majority of them don't go out to see a fox get killed. They go to train their horses over the ditches, drains and stonewalls. They go to have a good day out jumping with their horse and thier friends. The fox is very, very rarely caught!

I don't hunt myself because I don't like any type of bloodsports. I'm just making the point that most people don't go hunting for the reasons you might think. If you saw how well these people treat their horses you would see that the majority of them are the opposite of cruel and barbaric!

Ms. Pingui wrote: »
    I'm from the country and I have spent my whole life around horses and I train horses. Most people on this thread seem to think that evryone who hunts is stuck up and posh and loves killing animals.

I know heaps of people who hunt and the vast majority of them don't go out to see a fox get killed. They go to train their horses over the ditches, drains and stonewalls. They go to have a good day out jumping with their horse and thier friends. The fox is very, very rarely caught!

I don't hunt myself because I don't like any type of bloodsports. I'm just making the point that most people don't go hunting for the reasons you might think. If you saw how well these people treat their horses you would see that the majority of them are the opposite of cruel and barbaric!

They can go out and train their horses any day of the week in that terrain and the fact they treat their horses so well shows how hypocritical they are. They dont give two flying fcuks for the fox as long as they enjoy themselves. Not what I'd call animal lovers or opponents of animal cruelty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭SisterAnn

People refer to a fox as vermin because it hunts ...

No it is vermin because it attacks the livelihood of people. All animals hunt. Vermin spread disease or threaten crops/livestock. Good riddance. No bleeding heart on that. They ain't no Bambi.

Foxhunting will be fine here for while yet thankfully. The Green party won't be back anytime soon and the major parties don't see any percentage in alienating the rural constituents who enjoy our traditional winter country sports.

Somebody earlier in the thread raised pheasant hunting and in particular the beating technique used to raise the birds for the shooters. They displayed a total townie ignorance with these remarks. These birds are stocked by the gun clubs ie if not for pheasant hunting - pheasants would not be seen in the Irish countryside full stop. Ironically the few remaining wild occurances would be polished by, wait for it, your brush-tailed vermin friend the fox. Poor cratur.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭foxinsox

:(

They can go out and train their horses any day of the week in that terrain and the fact they treat their horses so well shows how hypocritical they are. They dont give two flying fcuks for the fox as long as they enjoy themselves. Not what I'd call animal lovers or opponents of animal cruelty.

No, you can't do that any day of the week. A lot of people don't have access to that kind of terrian evry day of the week. The roads around have gone so dangerous and full of ignorant drivers that roadwork is also off limits for a lot of people.
    You can't train a horse how to behave in a large group when your on your own, or train them to deal with such excitement. I won't go into too much detail about it because if you don't know anything about horses you wouldn't understand.
    I'm not saying that they are not being a bit hypocritical, I'm just saying they do it because its their only oppertunity to do such training. If there was an option to have no fox under threat, believe me, the majority of the people I know would be happy about it.
    Just because somebody hunts doesn't mean that they love animal cruelty.

No it is vermin because it attacks the livelihood of people. All animals hunt. Vermin spread disease or threaten crops/livestock. Good riddance. No bleeding heart on that. They ain't no Bambi.

Foxhunting will be fine here for while yet thankfully. The Green party won't be back anytime soon and the major parties don't see any percentage in alienating the rural constituents who enjoy our traditional winter country sports.

Somebody earlier in the thread raised pheasant hunting and in particular the beating technique used to raise the birds for the shooters. They displayed a total townie ignorance with these remarks. These birds are stocked by the gun clubs ie if not for pheasant hunting - pheasants would not be seen in the Irish countryside full stop. Ironically the few remaining wild occurances would be polished by, wait for it, your brush-tailed vermin friend the fox. Poor cratur.:)

I dont think it will last as long as you think. Intelligence is spreading and even the vast wilderness of the Irish country side cannot escape progress. Stupid traditions are being replaced with reason and logic every where you turn so wallow in your ignorance while you can because pretty soon your gonna have to join the rest of us decent folk and find something else to do on a sunday other than torment animals.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,677 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Somebody earlier in the thread raised pheasant hunting and in particular the beating technique used to raise the birds for the shooters. They displayed a total townie ignorance with these remarks. These birds are stocked by the gun clubs ie if not for pheasant hunting - pheasants would not be seen in the Irish countryside full stop.

Why is he/she an ignorant townie if he/she doesn't like it? How do you know he/she is a townie? He/she never mentioned where they come from and who introduced them.

Again with the silly city/rural divide thing.

• Advertisement

I dont think it will last as long as you think. Intelligence is spreading and even the vast wilderness of the Irish country side cannot escape progress.

Everyone who partakes in a hunt is of low intelligence? :confused:

Advertisement