Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Emigration resources

Options
  • 28-12-2011 11:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭

Hi,

does anyone have any advice on where I could find information on emigration? (I'm looking very broadly at the moment, Europe, Asia, Far East). I know Google is handy but when I look up job sites there are too many to count and I'm not sure which ones are good and legit so any advice would be welcome.

I must say I'm a media graduate with a few years experience and also doing a small bit of teaching work at the moment but I'd like something more stable. My main income is from retail which is not ideal hence thinking of a move abroad. Not too particular about the job initially i.e. office work or teaching English would be perfect.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

You need to narrow it down first- ie where (at least a continent....), what (job, temp or long term).

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Uncle_moe

Sorry for the ambiguity. Ideally Europe first but willing to travel further. I would like to teach if at all possible but I understand that will mainly be limited to teaching english as a foreign language. I would also accept a job working in an office of any description, again ideally media related as i have experience in that area so I could get a skilled job.

If I was to go I think it would be long term i.e. at least 2-3 years and probably more looking at the sitaution here. I would actually love to actually go and see more of the world from a perspective other than a tourist.

Europe should be easy as no visa requirements. You may want to look into learning/ brushing up on your languages. Monster is a good international job website (for example monster.de for German jobs, monster.fr for French ones etc. Of course, they assume you know the language.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,288 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Uncle_moe wrote: »
    Sorry for the ambiguity. Ideally Europe first but willing to travel further. I would like to teach if at all possible but I understand that will mainly be limited to teaching english as a foreign language. I would also accept a job working in an office of any description, again ideally media related as i have experience in that area so I could get a skilled job.

Well Europe is easy in terms of a visa and have your qualifications recognized, but as for teaching English... The reality is that everyone and his mother has this idea, so it is very competitive meaning that jobs with well established schools are difficult to find and the rates are usually low. if you could sell it as some kind of speciality then there might be a very good chance - advanced English for journalists for instance, then it might work out very well.

As for office work, most positions require some level of skill in the local language, so it can be difficult to land a job in an English only environment. I might be luck enough to land a position with one of the companies or it might take lot of time - perhaps as much as 6 months!

Over all I'd say it is definitely possible, but you need to prepared for a long search to find a good position. The more cash you can save before you go and the more of the local language you know the better your chances. Also, remember that you can get your dole money paid to you for up to three months while searching for a job in another EU country.

thanks a million for the responses. So it looks like Europe could be a long search to find a good job which is what I expected really.

If I was to travel outside the EU does anyone think there would be more opportunities in terms of having work prearranged prior to travel?

I know a lot of people have gone abroad teaching English as a foreign language and found it realtively easy to get jobs, however, after research it doesn't seem all that easy to get the job you want. Has anyone here got a job before traveling out and enjoyed their experience and if so did you use a specific website or company?
    I know I may be going off topic a bit talking about teaching abroad so I apologise if this is in the wrong place.

• Advertisement

I know several people who got well paying jobs teaching English in the Middle East- the school/ university you teach at would arrange flights and visas etc. You'd need some experience, did you just to a TEFL course for a few days or have you taught before? Places like Oman or Saudi Arabia pay well, but of course you tend to be resitricted in your movements (expat ghetto). I even know a lady who teaches in Kabul, Afghanistan, but I would not recomend that, quite dangerous.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,288 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

If I was to travel outside the EU does anyone think there would be more opportunities in terms of having work prearranged prior to travel?

Unless you have some specialized skill, very few employers are going to offer you the job, if they can meet someone local who can do it. In addition, outside the EU, there is the permit issue, the guy on the ground so to speak is ready to start when asked, all you can say is that if the permit is issued you'll be able to start...

I really thing you need to be on the ground to have a reasonable chance.

Thanks again for the info. In terms of teaching qualifications I don't have any but I have experience teaching asylum seeking kids in Ireland and Irish students so it might be some help.
    It's looking more and more like I could be heading to asia to teach because I don't like the idea of living on a compound in the middle east. I'll look into these options and thanks to everyone with advice on the topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

It's looking more and more like I could be heading to asia to teach because I don't like the idea of living on a compound in the middle east.

What you are referring to is Saudi Arabia. It is not representative of the Middle East, it is a very special case. There are many other countries where you don't have to live in a compound.

Advertisement