Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Force Spindown Mac HDD

Options
  • 28-12-2011 12:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭

Does anyone know if there is a way to FORCE immediate spindown of HDD'd on a mac? I have two drives in my MBP and i only need one spinning... I have tried things like CHUD and Xupport, but they only allow you to set the time after which the disk spins down, it dosent let you force it to. Any ideas???

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,674 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Forcing it to spin down probably isn't a good idea. The system and other apps might be using it, Why do you want to do this?

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭taylorconor95

Battery

OK I finally figured it out!

If I go into disk utility, right-click the PARTITION of the disk I want to spin down (not the volume) and select unmount, it unmounts, but it keeps spinning...

Now, go into terminal, and type:

diskutil eject <PARTITION-NAME>

This ejects the whole disk, spinning it down too.
    Simply going into the disk utility application un-ejects(?) it, but you still have to re-mount it through disk utility.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,674 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Yeah, but you can't unmount the startup disk, so doing this won't make any difference to battery life.

This is not the startup disk, its another HD I have in my Mac as a replacement for the optical drive

• Advertisement

Oh, well in that case just ejecting the disk in Disk Utility or in the Finder should do the trick.

nah that only unmounts the disk. Apparently there is a difference (I did not know this already in fairness!):
    http://www.thelinuxdaily.com/2010/01/difference-between-eject-and-umount/

Once all the partitions are unmounted it should spin down anyway.

Well mine didn't, even when I manually set the spin down time to 1minute (minimum) using spindownHD. It was only when i do this in terminal that it works immediately every time

Advertisement