Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Training to become a baker.

Options
  • 28-12-2011 1:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

Has anyone done such training? Im not really interested in short courses, I want to train to a professional level. I adore cooking but for me, baking is where it's at.

I'm interested in cake making, icing, savoury baked goods and conserves like marmalades and jams.

Does anyone know the best way to go about this? Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

Not to hijack but if anyone knows the fastest way to get qualified at the lowest level to work in a kitchen, beyond dishwasher of course, that would also be helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭annamcmahon

DIT do a degree course. Here's a link to the relevant DIT site.
    http://www.dit.ie/study/undergraduate/programmes/bakingandpastryartsmanagementdt418/

Don't know how good it is, just came across it a few years ago when I was thinking of doing some nightclasses on baking.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 deejam

Wurly wrote: »
    Hi guys,

Has anyone done such training? Im not really interested in short courses, I want to train to a professional level. I adore cooking but for me, baking is where it's at.

I'm interested in cake making, icing, savoury baked goods and conserves like marmalades and jams.

Does anyone know the best way to go about this? Thanks.

Hi Wurly,
    I too share your passion for cake making, conserves etc.
    I would also love to go down this line of work.. Have you considered taking your produce to farmers market..?
    Sorry if this is off topic abit..!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭Wurly

Hi there - yeah.. I have thought about this. However, it apparently costs a lot to get a permit/license to do this. Now, this is only hearsay so i'm open to correction on that score. I'd love to do the farmers markets as I love that type of atmosphere.

Does anyone know the story with farmers market permits incidentally?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

A lot of farme's markets just take a fee for the table, €10-60 approx depending on the area, size of table, etc. Most require you to have product and/or public liability insurance, the price of this varies depending on what type of food you are making. Many would also require you to be HSE registered which is free. It's only ones like city markets that require permits/licences, like Galway City Market requires a permit, either half year or full year last time I checked, small town markets or craft fairs would maybe be on a weekly or monthly basis.

Ask local markets how much it is for a table and what requirements they have.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,045 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

DIT do a degree course. Here's a link to the relevant DIT site.
    http://www.dit.ie/study/undergraduate/programmes/bakingandpastryartsmanagementdt418/

Don't know how good it is, just came across it a few years ago when I was thinking of doing some nightclasses on baking.

I've visited this department and I was very impressed with the knowledge of the head there and with the bread they were making.
    Don't think they'd cover conserves, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭annamcmahon

Hi Wurly. There are threads about setting up a stall at a market in the enterpreneurial and business management forum. I have a stall at a market selling buns and brownies. PM if you want some general information.

Advertisement