Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best way to use iphone abroad

Options
  • 28-12-2011 1:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I am just wondering what is the best way to use my iphone when I travel to auz, I would like to keep my current number so I can be contacted by family/friends but it would prob cost me a fortune to send and receive!
    My iphone is sim free so thats not a problem, do most people just pop in an auz sim when they get over and avail of cheaper rates for ringing home?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,193 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Are you with 3, they have 3 like home in Australia so you can use your irish data, calls texts etc at no extra cost.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

I had a meteor sim that I removed and replaced with an $2 Optus sim from Woolworths for my iphone. We bought an international callcard for $20, I think the last time I checked I still had 900 minutes (as long as you call a landline) to use up, I was calling from my optus sim that's pay as you go (pretty cheap).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

Are you with 3, they have 3 like home in Australia so you can use your irish data, calls texts etc at no extra cost.

No im with o2.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

catbear wrote: »
    I had a meteor sim that I removed and replaced with an $2 Optus sim from Woolworths for my iphone. We bought an international callcard for $20, I think the last time I checked I still had 900 minutes (as long as you call a landline) to use up, I was calling from my optus sim that's pay as you go (pretty cheap).

Different number though?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Is it really that difficult to tell family and friends: oh my Australian number is xxxx ?
    Or else set your voicemail to say : I'm in oz, my number is xxx if you want to contact me?

Would save you a fortune

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭jamiecoins

hi intrested in this im on bill with 3 40 a month so i can use all i get usually here for 40 euro unlimited internet calls and texts ? handy as i can power my laptop with my iphones hotspot

so like a irish person back home rings me on my 3 ireland number are they getting charged more than say ringing me from wexford to waterford and if i ring a 3 number in ireland with my free 3-3 calls i wnt be charged extra?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

zweton wrote: »
    Different number though?
    True but viber works for contacting people back in ireland, it's not great quality. The $20 phone cards are the way to go, plus I kept my meteor sim alive for €10 a month so i can make free webtexts and recieve free webtexts in oz when I put my meteor sim back in the phone. Has been handy for banking stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭markymark21

Hi,

I am just wondering what is the best way to use my iphone when I travel to auz, I would like to keep my current number so I can be contacted by family/friends but it would prob cost me a fortune to send and receive!
    My iphone is sim free so thats not a problem, do most people just pop in an auz sim when they get over and avail of cheaper rates for ringing home?

Its not too expensive to ring home. With Vodafone if you do the $30 a month plan you get $350 call credit. This is loads! Even if you ring the family once a week you probably won't use it all

..Or you can use Skype

..Or get them to ring you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

No im with o2.
    Move to three before you go then. There is nothing even close to threes voice/data packages in Australia/NZ, its like its 2007 here or something

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Testament1

CiaranC wrote: »
    Move to three before you go then. There is nothing even close to threes voice/data packages in Australia/NZ, its like its 2007 here or something

That 3 Like Home deal with Australia is only for bill pay customers so keep that in mind. Also you have to make sure your phone has the 3 Australia network selected or you'll be charged full whack! More info here:

http://apps.three.ie/applications/modules/roaming/three-like-home.php

• Advertisement
Advertisement