Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Primary School Career Break

• 28-12-2011 2:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

I am a primary school teacher on a career break. I have just found out that I am not allowed to work in the state of Ireland while on a career break. Unfortunately I have been working for the past 9 weeks. Does anyone know the consequences/penalty? Please help.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,507 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

As far as I know,you can do some sub work. Maybe ask the gang on educationposts.ie or ring the INTO?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Shellagh12

Thanks! Yep I know I can do 40 hrs of subing but I worked in a clothes shop which is a total different story. I'm worried about what the penalty will be when they find out when I go back to work next September.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,507 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Can't imagine it applies to non-teaching work?If it did, how could a teacher support themselves?How did you get the idea it did??

Can't imagine it applies to non-teaching work?If it did, how could a teacher support themselves?How did you get the idea it did??
    Well it says it in the dept of ed website that I'm still employed by them so I can't work n this country. I suppose the idea is that u use the break to go traveling or back to college. Traveling was my intention but family circumstances made it impossible to go. I only found out yest by a woman who works in public service that I shouldn't be working. Ridiculous really but the main thing I'm worried about is that I won't get my job back n Sept cos I broke my contract and worked when I shodnt have???!

I can't see anything other than you cannot work a a teacher?You can sub for 40 days, if the schools can't find anyone else.
    http://www.into.ie/ROI/InformationforTeachers/LeaveofAbsence/CareerBreaks/

• Advertisement

I can't see anything other than you cannot work a a teacher?You can sub for 40 days, if the schools can't find anyone else.
    http://www.into.ie/ROI/InformationforTeachers/LeaveofAbsence/CareerBreaks/
    The main objectives of this scheme below, which are not exhaustive, is for employers, wherever possible to facilitate applicants in the areas of:

personal development
    voluntary service overseas
    education
    childcare/dependent care
    self-employment
    Oireachtas leave
    UN leave

Found this on that website....

but those are just suggestions as to what one COULD do, not a limited list of what you MUST ONLY do.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭aisher

I dont think you need to worry. I know a lot of teachers who took up to 5 years career break and worked in various jobs and still came back teaching - I think you cant work on a contract as a teacher in Ireland (bar a bit of sub work) so you dont need to worry.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 cats27

Hi I'm in the exact same situation can u tell me what happened after that? Did u keep working?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Midnight Sundance

I think it meant that you can't work in an Irish school. Woman in my school took career break to change career and there was no problem

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Why_oh_why

I know Civil Servants whilst on a career break can only work if they are self employed and can't be a PAYE worker.

Advertisement