Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Christmas Leftover Recipe Thread

Options
  • 28-12-2011 2:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22,778 ✭✭✭✭

Just thought I'd share my recipe for Turkey-bone & Giblet Soup...

I finished my turkey yesterday evening & scavanged the last scraps of meat from the carcass. Any of the larger pieces I tore up into bite-sized bits. All told there was around 500g of meat.
    I chopped 4 carrots, 3 sticks of celery, 2 medium potatoes & a large onion. These were added to a large pot & fried gently in oil for a few minutes. A few sprigs of thyme & a couple of bay leaves go in too. I then threw in the large leg & wing bones & the breast bone. In went around 2 litres of giblet stock that I had used for making my gravy plus the leftover gravy.
    I brought this to a gentle boil & added the meat.
    Simmer for 30 mins & then it is good to go.
    Great seasoned with white pepper & eaten with crusty bread.

Any other 'left over' recipies you have to share?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Dinkie

It sounds very similar to my mum's recipe except she adds in some barley also.

Ham rissoles (not really rissoles) are a fav in our house.

Throw left over ham, potato, a bit chilli, onions and salt/pepper into a blender. Blend until well blended. Form into patties. Fry and serve with a dippy fried egg.

Tonight it is turkey quesadilas - Fry onion and garlic. Add some smoked paprika and a little cumin. Added some sweet pepper, chilli, sweet corn. Add shredded cooked turkey. Spoon some mix onto a tortilla. Spread with sour cream and sprinkle some grated cheese on top. Top with another tortilla. Put into lightly oiled pan and fry and until tortilla browned. Turn and fry until other side is golden. Its yum with a left over beer :D

• Registered Users Posts: 22,778 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

LOL! Nana Billy adds barley to her soup too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Any other 'left over' recipies you have to share?

I had some curried turkey last night.

fried off some onion, garlic and ginger until the onion was soft. Used a bit more oil than I'd normally fry off in, to stop the addition of spice from burning

added

turmeric
    garam masala
    cumin
    curry powder
    ground coriander
    paprika
    tomato puree
    chilli flakes

cooked off the spices for a few minutes

added about half a litre of stock
    some raisins and dessicated coconut and a couple of tomatoes that were just on the turn
    and finally, some left over turkey meat

brought the mix to a boil then to a simmer, reduced it down, served it on rice.

Was lovely :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,045 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

THB, you'd get more flavour from the carcass if you boiled it up on its own in water for a couple of hours and then made the soup from that - 30 minutes simmering won't really extract all the flavour from the bones.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,778 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Fat finger trouble... At the first go it is ready to eat after 60 mins. Most of the flavour is already there from the giblet stock & left over gravy.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,434 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Des, have your recipe on the go at the moment. Smells really good.

Advertisement