Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Two different buildings, one broadband

Options
  • 28-12-2011 3:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi,
    I am an accountant in the county so not near any big towns or cities, i recently had a small office constructed 20 feet away from my house so I didnt have to work out of the house and so we could have an extra room. The problem now though is that the internet must be in the office, but the signal is not strong enough to reach the house. Both buildings run of the same phone line. A small signal can be picked up but is incredibly slow. I have enquired about a repeater but i was told the signal would be too weak when it reached the repeater that the broadband would still not be efficient. I have trialed a mobile broadband but as i am not near a big town reception is poor. I have tried googling with no luck.
    Any help is very much appreciated by me and my boys who are dieing to get their xbox live up again

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭bhickey

The problem now though is that the internet must be in the office, but the signal is not strong enough to reach the house. Both buildings run of the same phone line. A small signal can be picked up but is incredibly slow. I have enquired about a repeater but i was told the signal would be too weak when it reached the repeater that the broadband would still not be efficient

Depending on how the mains power is wired, you might be able to use power line adapters like the ones here to connect the 2 buildings. You'd put on near the broadband router and the other next to whatever else needs an Internet connectio.

If that isn't an option then you can probably setup a wireless link, the complexity and cost of which will depend on distances, building layout, coverage requirements and the number of devices that need to be connected. It should be doable though given that the distance between buildings is only 20 feet

Is your broadband connected in the office or in the house and what make/model of wireless router do you have? Also have you actually measured the wireless signal strength in whichever areas you need coverage? Use something like inSSIDer on a laptop to measure the signal strength in the required areas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

i recently had a small office constructed 20 feet away from my house

Run an Ethernet cable out to it. Cheap and simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭BuzzFish

jor el wrote: »
    Run an Ethernet cable out to it. Cheap and simple.

I'd also recommend this but if its not an option for whatever reason I've used a pair of these to connect 2 buildings 100 meters apart and maintained a full 54mb link (without rebooting either device) for the last 9 months.... and they are set to their lowest power setting!

http://wirelessconnect.eu/product/ubiquiti-nanostation2

• Registered Users Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭Big Lar

BuzzFish wrote: »
    I'd also recommend this but if its not an option for whatever reason I've used a pair of these to connect 2 buildings 100 meters apart and maintained a full 54mb link (without rebooting either device) for the last 9 months.... and they are set to their lowest power setting!

http://wirelessconnect.eu/product/ubiquiti-nanostation2

+1 on that Buzzfish, seeing as the distance is small and with you being an accountant an all you will be pleased to know that the Nanostation Loco M2 is a bit cheaper and twill do the exact same job :D

You want to setup a wireless bridge like this fella here ;)http://www.ubnt.com/forum/showthread.php?t=43370

• Registered Users Posts: 4 brendanr583

Thanks for all replies.
    The ethernet cable is not really an option as there is a tarmac driveway running between the buildings. The power adapters seem like a very reasonable option. I have attempted to set up a bridge and failed due to problems with the routers.
    I have a friend coming over tomorrow to attempt to set up a bridge. Should that fail i think the powerline adapters would be the best option.
    If im wrong feel free ta tell me what would be the better options :P

• Advertisement
Advertisement