Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Esso changed to Topaz @Singland

• 28-12-2011 4:58pm
    Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Those Topaz stations seem to be gaining quite a hold around the country. Soon, nothing but Tesco and Topaz's as far as the eye can see.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

All the Esso stations have been and are seeing out their leases. Once the lease is up they stop being an Esso and need to become another brand.

Topaz are basically Shell and Statoil combined so once that happened they were going to be the big boy in the Irish fuel market both in retail and commercial terms..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭counterlock

The topaz garages are always decent to be fair. They are pricey but at least they are clean and serve decent coffee.

What I don't like is the "Would you like to buy any lottery tickets/matches/donuts?" while they are putting through your sale

The topaz garages are always decent to be fair. They are pricey but at least they are clean and serve decent coffee.

What I don't like is the "Would you like to buy any lottery tickets/matches/donuts?" while they are putting through your sale

The company wants to maximise each individual spend in their stores, and the staff have to do so in that manner.

Plus like most retailers, they use mystery customers to make sure that staff are saying what they should and pushing the services/offers that they should.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Skuxx

Yeah, this gets me aswell!! "have you any petrol or diesel" I can live with, but if I wanted the lotto I'd ask for it!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

It was great when Topaz opened on the Ballysimon road but with that one it will be much handier for the likes of us living on the Dublin side of town. Roxboro is difficult to get to especially as the exit has been removed Southbound.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Beer Baron wrote: »
    It was great when Topaz opened on the Ballysimon road but with that one it will be much handier for the likes of us living on the Dublin side of town. Roxboro is difficult to get to especially as the exit has been removed Southbound.
    There is one near frank hogans

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 882 ✭✭✭acalmenvoy

The free mince pies were nice.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,279 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Mc Love wrote: »
    There is one near frank hogans

That's Maxol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭SuperWoody101

Kess73 wrote: »
    The company wants to maximise each individual spend in their stores, and the staff have to do so in that manner.

Plus like most retailers, they use mystery customers to make sure that staff are saying what they should and pushing the services/offers that they should.

Bang on about the mystery customer. I know if people want the lotto they will ask for it but it's part of the job to ask (up sell). Some people are happy to be reminded.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

I don't see what the problem is with staff politely reminding you of something you may have forgotten... :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

bazz26 wrote: »
    That's Maxol.

My bad - i thought it was Topaz! :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭homingbird

people that bought petrol in ballysimon topaz recently had to go away & buy a new fuel filter including myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭yupyup7up

I boycott all topaz stations. F*cking robbers. €1.05 for a can of coke? are they mental? Don't give a sh!t whether theyre irish or not. Expensive fuel too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

yupyup7up wrote: »
    I boycott all topaz stations. F*cking robbers. €1.05 for a can of coke? are they mental? Don't give a sh!t whether theyre irish or not. Expensive fuel too

Buy your petrol there and so leave it at it.

Do you know what the profit margin on petrol is?

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

homingbird wrote: »
    people that bought petrol in ballysimon topaz recently had to go away & buy a new fuel filter including myself.

I would imagine they would have had to clean out the tanks before reopening. Did the station admit fault? I bought some there last week actually. Was it water / dirt?

It depends on which Topaz you visit. Each site changes their prices with respect to their competition.

Corbally for example has to set its prices depending on what Thomondgate and the Dublin road are charging.

The Dock road is only interested in the Dock Road Stations(easy now as there are only 2 but there were 4 different stations when we[myself and missus] were running one).

I have to use Topaz, due to fuel card, and think that Ennis is the cheapest in the country but not being in Limerick I will use a better example. Topaz on the Ennis road(across from Tesco) is the cheapest normally because it competes with Tesco(whom uses Topaz fuel) and the Topaz further back the road tries to compete and is invariably the same price.

Thomondgate and Corbally can have cheaper prices but with Corbally being expensive 3 weeks ago and having Diesel more expensive than Petrol for 4 days it was pretty weird and hard to judge.

I don't buy anything in the shop itself but then again Fuel/Cigarettes and Wine are loss leaders to get you into the shop to buy other things so I'm not surprised they charge more than other shops because of their high overheads.

Topaz by the regional on the other hand. He is just a weird money grabbing git and is normally at least 5 cent more expensive than anybody. Also refuses fuel cards.

It is pretty small at best, and varies a little from station to station depending on whether a station is a part of a company owned chain or just a franchise leasing the branding, hehe brings back memories of talking about COCOs, CODOs, DODOs etc:D . The vast majority of service stations make most of their profit on what they sell in their stores.

It depends on which Topaz you visit. Each site changes their prices with respect to their competition.

Corbally for example has to set its prices depending on what Thomondgate and the Dublin road are charging.

The Dock road is only interested in the Dock Road Stations(easy now as there are only 2 but there were 4 different stations when we[myself and missus] were running one).

I have to use Topaz, due to fuel card, and think that Ennis is the cheapest in the country but not being in Limerick I will use a better example. Topaz on the Ennis road(across from Tesco) is the cheapest normally because it competes with Tesco(whom uses Topaz fuel) and the Topaz further back the road tries to compete and is invariably the same price.

Thomondgate and Corbally can have cheaper prices but with Corbally being expensive 3 weeks ago and having Diesel more expensive than Petrol for 4 days it was pretty weird and hard to judge.

I don't buy anything in the shop itself but then again Fuel/Cigarettes and Wine are loss leaders to get you into the shop to buy other things so I'm not surprised they charge more than other shops because of their high overheads.

Topaz by the regional on the other hand. He is just a weird money grabbing git and is normally at least 5 cent more expensive than anybody. Also refuses fuel cards.

You also have to take into account that some of the stations are company owned and company operated, whilst others are dealer/franchisee operated which causes differences in pricing despite the stores all appearing under the same brand logo.

The Dock road is an example of two stations of which one is a company site and the other is a franchisee site.

The Dock road is an example of two stations of which one is a company site and the other is a franchisee site.

It is true but even the company run sites have to "ring in" their competitor pricing to head office and around 20 minutes later they get a phone call telling them what pricing to change to.

We used to open at 7am on the Dock road and do a drive by of the other sites and write down the pricing EVERY morning, ring it in and wait for our new pricing.

The old monoliths used to be manual to change so a little time consuming and horrible in crappy weather. You'd have to get a long stick, normally brush and pull down the pricing boards to change it with snap on numbers. Now it can be done from the comfort of the office. :(

Cue people getting fuel during the changeover. "I'm not paying that price, it wasn't like that when I drove onto the forecourt" because the pumps can't be changed till the monolith is. :(

• Advertisement

It is true but even the company run sites have to "ring in" their competitor pricing to head office and around 20 minutes later they get a phone call telling them what pricing to change to.

We used to open at 7am on the Dock road and do a drive by of the other sites and write down the pricing EVERY morning, ring it in and wait for our new pricing.

The old monoliths used to be manual to change so a little time consuming and horrible in crappy weather. You'd have to get a long stick, normally brush and pull down the pricing boards to change it with snap on numbers. Now it can be done from the comfort of the office. :(

Cue people getting fuel during the changeover. "I'm not paying that price, it wasn't like that when I drove onto the forecourt" because the pumps can't be changed till the monolith is. :(

Interesting. The opening time you gave narrows it down to one site on the dock road, and even narrows it down to that station between 1992 and 1996 if I recall correctly the year it switched to being a 24 hour station.

Nope

Nope

Well Londis/Top was 24 hour until it closed in the early 2000s.

The Jet station was 24 hour right up to circa 2005.

Statoil, or Shannonside service station to give it it's official title from when it opened :D, used to open at 7am and close at midnight until 1996, maybe early 1997, when it went 24 hour, and is my guess for the station you used to go price checking for

Shell opened after Statoil went 24 hour.

Texaco is the one throwing some doubt into my mind as it was 24 hour at one stage, then switched to a two cycle shift (three if you want to include the swing shift that straddled the morning and evening shift) and dabbled with a late third shift again at some point if memory serves right.

There was a Statoil connection with three of those sites (not including the Topaz merger) which involved Head Office personnel moving between companies.

There is a slight chance that if you were working in one of the sites on the Dock road in the early 90's and were one of the original crew members that I met you when there for an opening, and at the very least I was one of the folk who got to see the daily/weekly figures as they were sent to Dublin along with things like the fuel price checks etc.

Out of curiousity would the initials FG or LM mean anything to you in terms of them being head office initials? Neither are my initials, but I would have worked with them and they worked in the head offices of three and two of the stations on the dock road respectively. FG also went on to work in the Off Licence/distribution side of things for a while before returning to the fold so to speak.

Early 00's I'm afraid. ;) Right up until the establishment of the Topaz Fuel Brand in Ireland.

Ah Londis Dock Road. The Young Folk will never know what was behind all that hoarding. Best Location in the City for an outbound fuel stop but never did work out.

Early 00's I'm afraid. ;) Right up until the establishment of the Topaz Fuel Brand in Ireland.

Ah Londis Dock Road. The Young Folk will never know what was behind all that hoarding. Best Location in the City for an outbound fuel stop but never did work out.

So you used to do fuel price checks at 7am when the station opened and this was in the 2000's?

That's Statoil out of it then as it was a 24 station at that point and as such would not open at 7am as it was already open.:D Bloody goldmine at one point.

Londis was 24 hour as well (and often had a very entertaining chap working the night shift :)) It did some great sales figures in the late 1990's but went to pot in the early 2000's figurewise.

If you were Shell then one of the initials I put up would have rang a bell for the late 90's and early 2000s. Although your Topaz comment does make me suspect this site a little.

Maybe you were in the Texaco then, in which case I did not meet you other than when I was a customer getting something.:)

It is pretty small at best, and varies a little from station to station depending on whether a station is a part of a company owned chain or just a franchise leasing the branding

Exactly, so I don't see the point of the guy giving out about the price of a can of coke! Its convenient - hence the reason for the mark up. The very same way a corner shop will charge me 1.65 for a sliced pan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,853 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Where was Texaco on the Dock road? Across from Sliderobes/Dennehy's Renualt where the car wash is?

Where was Texaco on the Dock road? Across from Sliderobes/Dennehy's Renualt where the car wash is?

That was it. It was right beside the car wash place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 76 ✭✭abyss

homingbird wrote: »

Well, If you don't do your service as normal people do...
    I can complain on beverage prices, but not fuel quality.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭yupyup7up

Nope, but I'm sure that charging 3c a litre more than your competitor that is a 100 yards from you isnt right. And plus their food items etc are ridiculously expensive.

Advertisement