Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Drugs

• 28-12-2011 5:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Prop Joe

Is anyone else so sick and tired of the acceptance of drugs in society?
    Pills,Weed and Coke just seem so acceptable these days for ingredients for a night out.There needs to be bigger penalties for Drug possession?
    I travel alot with work and hard drugs are spreading like wildfire throughout small towns and villages,When ten or so years ago ya wouldnt see a guy smoking a J.
    Your Thoughts?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

No.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭Captain McDuck

I don't have a problem with people taking drugs at all. Just as I don't have a problem with people drinking or smoking.

You don't have to take them you know?... just say no!!

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Bligh

I guess it's all relative, I travel a lot for work, but the people I work with are highly motivated and worked hard to get into this line of work, to throw away a career by using drugs is pointless so I have never encountered the common place drug taking you seem to have, ohh except in Amsterdam, but I believe it's legal there and it's up to people if they want it or not, maybe that's the way it should be here too, it's a life style choice is it not?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

Drugs have there use's

weed being one of the highest

arthritis treatment, add, longterm sickness it has a strong place there.

Also i don't see why something thats relaxing is ileagal.

Coke I don't like have no use for,

pills a heightened feeling of warmth a euphoria its not really hurting any body....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭18AD

Better drug education and more help for those who want/need it, I say. Accept that people do it and work with the problem instead of shutting it away.

But I'm a hippy liberal so my opinion doesn't count. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Damn Joe you've changed a lot over the past few years. Back in the day you were the biggest dope dealer in East Baltimore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭yawha

I don't really see what's the big deal. Plenty of successful people use drugs, and most of the common ones have been repeatedly concluded to be less harmful than alcohol in scientific evaluations.

They're bad because they're illegal and they're illegal because they're bad. Um, yeah...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Mrmoe

I see no difference between the drugs you mentoned and alcohol and fags. I don't use them but I don't want to stop anyone else using them either because its my choice. There are arguments that weed is a preferable drug to alcohol and nicotine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

I believe in free choice. Take what you want, it's your own body, but don't prevent anyone else taking what they want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 257 ✭✭Gonzor

Prop Joe wrote: »
    Pills,Weed and Coke just seem so acceptable these days for ingredients for a night out.There needs to be bigger penalties for Drug possession?
    I travel alot with work and hard drugs are spreading like wildfire throughout small towns and villages,When ten or so years ago ya wouldnt see a guy smoking a J.
    Your Thoughts?

Fully agree. Some of the lads I go to college with are complete coke heads and seem to think its normal. I get accused all the time for being a "dry sh1te".... just because I wont snort lines or take pills :mad: Theres another one thats fairly popular with the lads, its a prescription drug and they reckon it helps them concentrate. THe night before a test they take a few of these pills and then sit up the whole night cramming through notes and books.

• Advertisement

If someone wants to do drugs it's their business. If I saw a friend was struggling with addiction or that drug use was having a negative impact on his life I would say something but at the end of the day they are free to do whatever they feel like.

There is nothing I hate more than knee jerk reactions on the topic of drug abuse. The debacle that was the death of Gerry Ryan of that model one was ridicolous. From the various papers reporting on the two incidents and people's opinions you would think that drug dealers forced people to take their products. If someone wishes to snort coke or shoot heroin and as a result die then the blame lays at their own feet and no one else's.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Prop Joe

The difference between Hard drugs and Drink & Smoking is the legality..If smoking tobacco was illegal i'd safely say well over 90-odd % of people would stop smoking.Anyone who takes any form of illegal drug in my eyes is as bad as any criminal...Buying drugs is funding scumbags...I have no pity for anyone who dies from using illegal drugs..Harsh but true..

If someone wants to do drugs it's their business. If I saw a friend was struggling with addiction or that drug use was having a negative impact on his life I would say something but at the end of the day they are free to do whatever they feel like.

There is nothing I hate more than knee jerk reactions on the topic of drug abuse. The debacle that was the death of Gerry Ryan of that model one was ridicolous. From the various papers reporting on the two incidents and people's opinions you would think that drug dealers forced people to take their products. If someone wishes to snort coke or shoot heroin and as a result die then the blame lays at their own feet and no one else's.

True

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

I have seen friends and family members ruin their lives from a drug addiction. Alcohol.

And yet people act like marijuana is particularly bad for society. The mind boggles sometimes.

Galvasean wrote: »
    I have seen friends and family members ruin their lives from a drug addiction. Alcohol.

And yet people act like marijuana is particularly bad for society. The mind boggles sometimes.

My biggest problem with Marijuana is that it's illegal .No other reason except it funds the scum organised criminals that ruin this country.the scum who kill poor innocent people like Shane Geoghan

My biggest problem with Marijuana is that it's illegal .No other reason except it funds the scum organised criminals that ruin this country.the scum who kill poor innocent people like Shane Geoghan

Does that include people who grow their own and those who buy it from them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Your Thoughts?

The prescription medication timebomb is the one you should be worrying about.
    The hidden one.
    There is a hell of a lot of strained marriages where a little legal "pick-me-up" is the main coping device.
    Ahh, but shur it's legal......

You should campaign for an end to cannabis prohibition so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Just to clarify, if it were legal would you be okay with it?

For the record, my previous post was pointing out the hypocrisy of marijuana being illegal while alcohol is very much legal but far more dangerous (as far as best testing indicates).

mikom wrote: »
    The prescription medication timebomb is the one you should be worrying about.
    The hidden one.
    There is a hell of a lot of strained marriages where a little legal "pick-me-up" is the main coping device.
    Ahh, but shur it's legal......

"Prescription medicine timebomb" as you describe it,is a massive problem in the states all ready and surly will cause big trouble here..Still cannot understand the acceptance of class A drug use

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,253 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

I say this little rant as someone who has had major drug problems in the past, and as someone who has lost numerous friends over the years to over-dosing from various substances.

If people wanna get high, shoot up, snort coke and so on, that's their call. Do it on the odd night out if it helps you have a laugh. Just don't a fúcking overdo it and end up a junkie, in hospital or dead.

It's like alcohol, I still go out with my mates and have a few drinks, but I make damn sure I know exactly what I'm doing and capable of getting home safely.

My opinion is that Marijuana should be legalised, mainly because it can be used for a lot more than getting a little baked while watching Doctor Who. It's not addictive, has less damaging effects than alcohol and easy to grow. Plus it can also be used for fabrics and medical reasons.

• Advertisement

Galvasean wrote: »
    Just to clarify, if it were legal would you be okay with it?

Yes i think i would,If it was made legal and regulated and had warnings ala Tobacco.I would have no problem.

Sonics2k wrote: »
    If people wanna get high, shoot up, snort coke and so on, that's their call.

Well what if i wanna get drunk and drive my car home,Is that my call?
    Cop on it's breaking the law,Where do these guys get the drugs?

"Prescription medicine timebomb" as you describe it,is a massive problem in the states all ready and surly will cause big trouble here..Still cannot understand the acceptance of class A drug use

No classes in Ireland, only Northern Ireland.
    Cannabis is not a class A.
    It only recently moved from a class C to a B

Yes it's your call.
    But you would be endangering others, so it's not cool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

Sonics2k wrote: »
    If people wanna get high, shoot up, snort coke and so on, that's their call.

Cop on it's breaking the law,Where do these guys get the drugs?

So if it was legal would you be ok with it being bought in the same place you buy your alcohol??

• Registered Users Posts: 27 benmad

if acohol was invented in the morning it would be banned.
    Alcohol is responsible for more death than all the drugs put together.
    When you listen or watch or read the news every weekend try and ascertain the causes of the various deaths, car crashes, stabbings, rows, beatings, domestic voilence, and there is an increase in these fatalities every weekend.! Drinking time!!
    the reason alcohol is still allowed it is because it creates powerfull revenue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭guitarzero

My biggest problem is those small bunch of lads who go around all "here, you cant do that cuz I said so and thats that", they're called the government.

Its such a strong wielding of force when a bunch a p*icks in suits who have a terrible track record of their own can say you cant smoke a leaf, you cant do LSD or DMT. Its beyond me how this has somehow become accepted.

Clearly there is such a huge demand for it. Once there is a huge demand for anything surely there has to be a recognition of value. Effectively the crowd has spoken, to ignore this is simply tyranny.

Great interview http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLsCC0LZxkY

Yeh but when you get these jumped up d!ckheads going round starting rows with people because their after taking half bag of speed and think their deadly. Or other lads out mugging old people and breaking into houses to fund their habbit. THis is the reason why we want to restrict people from taking drugs.

And I wouldnt mind, but all the people who waffle day and night about how great marijuana is for society and we should legalise it to help old people and people with chronic pains and its good for the environment. I wont say them all, but the vast majority of the stoners I know that spout this crap dont really give a damn about old people or people in pain. That really really grates on me.

Dont act all concerned for old and sick people the minute marijuana is mentioned, but then mention voluntary work or donate money and they're nowhere in sight. Your either concerned for them or your not. Dont just support bits of it to support your own personal agenda. And the same goes for the environment, dont act all concerned when marijuana is mentioned and then turn the bothered ear as soon we need help to fix up nesting boxes, or clean out rivers.

Stop thinking of all the great things marijuana could do for society if only the government would legalise it..... start thinking of all the great things you can do for society right now..... no legalistion needed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭guitarzero

What I find hypocritical is those who condemn weed, lsd etc but are prepared to get completely smashed on booze.

B*ollox.

Gonzor wrote: »
    Yeh but when you get these jumped up d!ckheads going round starting rows with people because their after taking half bag of speed and think their deadly. Or other lads out mugging old people and breaking into houses to fund their habbit. THis is the reason why we want to restrict people from taking drugs.

And I wouldnt mind, but all the people who waffle day and night about how great marijuana is for society and we should legalise it to help old people and people with chronic pains and its good for the environment. I wont say them all, but the vast majority of the stoners I know that spout this crap dont really give a damn about old people or people in pain. That really really grates on me.

Dont act all concerned for old and sick people the minute marijuana is mentioned, but then mention voluntary work or donate money and they're nowhere in sight. Your either concerned for them or your not. Dont just support bits of it to support your own personal agenda. And the same goes for the environment, dont act all concerned when marijuana is mentioned and then turn the bothered ear as soon we need help to fix up nesting boxes, or clean out rivers.

Stop thinking of all the great things marijuana could do for society if only the government would legalise it..... start thinking of all the great things you can do for society right now..... no legalistion needed.

TBH it sounds like you would be better off banning people.

• Advertisement

guitarzero wrote: »
    What I find hypocritical is those who condemn weed, lsd etc but are prepared to get completely smashed on booze.

B*ollox.

+1
    Theres a fair few of those eejits about too :rolleyes:

TBH it sounds like you would be better off banning people.

What are you trying to say....

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭battser

Think Galvasean hit the nail on the head about the weed and drink. I hate people who give out about it cause it seems like such a double standard. I hate coke and other hard core addicts but let them away with it and mind your own business.

Being honest I just wish I didn't have to hide the fact that I like to smoke the odd J cause I just don't get how it is illegal. Its not half as harmful as drink and that is probably the biggest understatement ever.

I understand coke and other hard substances need to be controlled but seriously weed relaxes you, it doesn't make any man even a jumped up knacker lookin for a fix rob an old ladys bag :rolleyes:

What are you trying to say....

Jumped up d!ckheads, muggers, and wafflers are usually jumped up d!ckheads, muggers, and wafflers with or without drugs.
    Magicing all drugs away will not bring about utopia.
    Even the garden of Eden had a snake....... that's if you believe the fairy stories.

Jumped up d!ckheads, muggers, and wafflers are usually jumped up d!ckheads, muggers, and wafflers with or without drugs.
    Magicing all drugs away will not bring about utopia.
    Even the garden of Eden had a snake....... that's if you believe the fairy stories.

So you think drugs bringing out the worst in people is only a fairy story..??

With both drink and drugs the vast majority of people don't use them as an excuse to behave like scumbags. Even amongst the thousands of heroin addicts in this country there's plenty happy to keep to themselves with their dole or whatever.
    When substance abuse becomes an issue it's generally as a result of something else rather than arising on its own.

• Advertisement

The fairy story I alluded to was a certain book.
    I did mention the snake and the garden of Eden......

Certain drugs suit certain people.
    Certain drugs don't suit certain people.

My brother got a blinding headache and became agressive from the drug he sampled in France.
    Red wine.
    Whereas the one he took a dose of in Gemany left him feeling fine.
    Weiss beer.

Abuse is the problem in most cases really......... not use.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Your Thoughts?

That's rich coming from someone who chose to name himself after a drug dealer.

And harsher sentencing will not improve anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

This topic is more suited to here than in tGC.

Abuse is the problem in most cases really......... not use.

Im sorry but Im never going to agree with you on the drug thing. I just dont see how you can justify selling heroin or crystal meth to people over the counter and then have the attitude of either.... "its their body let them do what they want" or "sure it will be grand so long as they only USE it and dont ABUSE it".

Im sorry but Im never going to agree with you on the drug thing. I just dont see how you can justify selling heroin or crystal meth to people over the counter and then have the attitude of either.... "its their body let them do what they want" or "sure it will be grand so long as they only USE it and dont ABUSE it".

It's not an "either" opinion, it's both.

• Advertisement

amacachi wrote: »
    It's not an "either" opinion, it's both.

Well either way, I still dont agree with you.

ANd I think we should leave it at that before we fall out...!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,040 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Do you even know why Marijuana was made illegal?

The problem with heroin isn't the heroin it's the sh!te they cut it with, which is where most of the problems with drugs arise. Dealers cutting anything into it and differing qualities cause most of the issues.

People have been using drugs since we figured out they affected our minds and bodies.

Making them illegal only benefits scum and we have an example of how it creates problems and a precedent on why it should be legalised

Del2005 wrote: »
    Do you even know why Marijuana was made illegal?

Honestly I dont know why the Irish government does the half of the things it does. But sure go on humour me.. why did our government make it illegal to have marijuana in this country..???

The problem with heroin isn't the heroin it's the sh!te they cut it with, which is where most of the problems with drugs arise. Dealers cutting anything into it and differing qualities cause most of the issues.

Does the product(s) they cut it with just make it more dangerous to the user, or does it make more addictive?

If its more dangerous for the user then I couldnt care less what they put in it to be honest. If its making the heroin more addictive then perhaps Id be willing to change my stance regarding heroin.

If Weed,Coke or whatever was made legal in the morning it would then be open to the level of abuse that the booze is encountered with..It's pointless comparing the two..My big gripe is that every person who buys drugs funds guys like "Fat Freddie" & John Gilligan,Keanes etc.. That is the problem,It is the same as aiding a rapist or murderer in his getaway from a crime...Again a bit harsh but true

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,040 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Honestly I dont know why the Irish government does the half of the things it does. But sure go on humour me.. why did our government make it illegal to have marijuana in this country..???

Because hemp is better than cotton. The US used Mexican migrant workers smoking it to kill off the cheaper and better competition. We just followed like lambs

Does the product(s) they cut it with just make it more dangerous to the user, or does it make more addictive?

They cut it what ever comes to hand.

If its more dangerous for the user then I couldnt care less what they put in it to be honest. If its making the heroin more addictive then perhaps Id be willing to change my stance regarding heroin.

So you would want someone who has an addiction to die or be seriously injured because it's not an addiction you like. :eek::eek:

More people are killed by alcohol and nicotine in a day, which are highly controlled and taxed, than from Heroin in a year. Yet heroin isn't controlled in any way and cut with anything from Novocain to asbestos. Which drug is more dangerous?

Because hemp is better than cotton. The US used Mexican migrant workers smoking it to kill off the cheaper and better competition. We just followed like lambs

Im probably reading that wrong or something but to me that sounds like you are saying the US government used marijuana users to kill off people who were in the cotton industry.. :confused:

Either way it doesnt really matter, I dont see what corrupt american politics has to with legalising drugs in Ireland in 2011/2012...??? Or have I missed that point too..??

They cut it what ever comes to hand.

So you would want someone who has an addiction to die or be seriously injured because it's not an addiction you like. eek.gifeek.gif

Yep. Honestly couldnt care less for the users themselves. I care a lot more for the people who are affected by the said users/abusers... like the victims of muggins/house robberies etc..

More people are killed by alcohol and nicotine in a day, which are highly controlled and taxed, than from Heroin in a year. Yet heroin isn't controlled in any way and cut with anything from Novocain to asbestos. Which drug is more dangerous?

So you are proposing we legalise heroin on the basis we can tax it and make sure its not cut with other substances.

Like I said to amachie, Im sorry, once it comes to selling heroin over the counter then you have lost my support. THat is something I will never support. But I guess each to their own.

What was in the OP
    Pills,Weed and Coke just seem so acceptable these days

The leap.
    Im sorry but Im never going to agree with you on the drug thing. I just dont see how you can justify selling heroin or crystal meth to people over the counter

My big gripe is that every person who buys drugs funds guys like "Fat Freddie" & John Gilligan,Keanes etc..

Not true in the case of cannabis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,580 ✭✭✭bassy

what a high in here :D

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prop Joe

My big gripe is that every person who buys drugs funds guys like "Fat Freddie" & John Gilligan,Keanes etc..
    Orginally posted by Mikom
    Not true in the case of cannabis.

So Who do you think imports the majority of Cannabis into this country ????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

OP can you tell me what drugs you have tried? Everytime someone comes on here giving out about drug use they always refer to someone they know who has been effected yet they seem not to know anyone who has been effected or died from alcohol/tobacco. Have you tried heroin which in its natural form is non addictive? HAve you ever smoked a joint?

I have tried plenty of different things both legal and illegal and not once did I mug anyone, beat anyone up, rob cash or get an addiction. Gong by your way of looking at things then I say that alcohol be banned because every week I see people falling into the middle of the rd, getting into fights etc etc etc.

If your problem is the fact that drug use props up the gangs then there is a simple solution, legalize it and take the money out of the hands of the gangs because believe it or not OP people are always going to take various drugs regardless of their legality so would you not think it better the government got this money?? The effects of prohibition in the States is still being felt almost 100yrs later!! The war on drugs does not work.........Simples

If the like of sweden, portugal, switzerland can legalize a plant then I dont see why we cant.

Its time this country grew up and got with the program!!

frAg

• Advertisement
Advertisement