Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garden Compost

Options
  • 28-12-2011 5:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭

I’m looking for ideas on covering one of those upright plastic compost containers? I recently harvested a few barrow loads of excellent compost.:) and now the process has slowed down due to winter temperatures. What’s the best covering to use? Any ideas welcome.

Another Question. Why is there no Gardening Forum on B.ie?:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,451 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Mod: moved to Gardening from O&O

• Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭GreyEagle

Thanks Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

You don't need to cover it, it will slow down anyway. You can keep it ticking over by using grass clipping and seaweed and urine which are great activators. But decomposition will be slower during winter. You can also chuck some of your made compost or fresh manure in, that will help too. If there are still lots of worms at the base of the composter they will help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭GreyEagle

redser7 wrote: »
    You don't need to cover it, it will slow down anyway. You can keep it ticking over by using grass clipping and seaweed and urine which are great activators. But decomposition will be slower during winter. You can also chuck some of your made compost or fresh manure in, that will help too. If there are still lots of worms at the base of the composter they will help.

Thanks. I left some of the last compost in the base, lots of worms too. I'll add the grass, seaweed and urine.

Advertisement