Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Remedies for 6 month old

Options
  • 28-12-2011 6:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭

Hi, my little boy is 6 mobths old, almost 7 and he has a cold. I noticed he had a stuffy/runny nose and a cough today. The cough isnt chesty, more dry. So was wondering apart from calpol are there any other cold remedies i can give him to make him feel bettet? Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Unless you bring him to the doctor (and I doubt there's an antibiotic for a cold) there's nothing for babies OTC. Karvol on a rag beside his bed for the stuffy nose would be the best thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Lola92

I use a karvol capsule in a bowl of boiling water next to the cot all windows & doors closed to keep the steam in. For a stuffy nose saline spray is good too, lots of drinks of cooled boiled water should help too if you can get him to take it.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

We took our little guy to the Doc when he was 4 months, he had a virus and we were told we could give him Calpol and baby Neurophen.. also there's a vapo rub you can buy for infants.. it warms their little chest up and helps clear their noses..

As it happens, he's sick again and we just had him down the doctor this evening and we were told the same thing again.. Plenty of calpol and just keep an eye on his temp.. we were given an antibiotic but we are to hold off on giving it unless his temperature goes up...

The joys eh? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭annamcmahon

The chest rub xzanti mentioned is called snuffle baby and does the same job as karvol. I was going to get bought in the chemist for our daughter and the pharmacist said they do the same job. Raising the head end of the cot also helps keep little noses from blocking at night.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Talk to the pharmacist, they usually have good suggestions.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Rosy Posy

Weleda cold and flu if you're into homeopathic's at all

Make sure their chest and feet are kept warm

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

Lola92 wrote: »
    I use a karvol capsule in a bowl of boiling water next to the cot all windows & doors closed to keep the steam in. For a stuffy nose saline spray is good too, lots of drinks of cooled boiled water should help too if you can get him to take it.

+1 on the Karvol, but if you can get the Karvol oil, it's brilliant for putting in an oil burner and the vapours fill the room.

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭qwertytlk

Op here. Thanks for the replies and suggesyions. My chemist didnt have a great selection(wioukd have liked to go homeopathic route, weleda or nelsons) so ended up just getting baby panadol as its pretty mich the same as calpol and got the calpol saline spray for the nose. Am finding it quite good for unblocking his little nose.
    He is much better now anyway. Think il try and check some other chemists for the homeopathic stuff so i can have it here if he gets sick again
    Thanks

Advertisement