Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PURSE STOLEN - THE QUAY, WATERFORD

• 28-12-2011 6:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭

Daughters purse stolen from her while queued at check out in department store on the quay this afternoon. Purse contained credit cards and cash. When brought to the attention of customer services, female attendant took details and informed her of two other purse thefts in the department today. Surely there is an onus on the Department store to contact the Gardai immediately so the matter can be properly investigated or are they afraid of the bad publicity the store will get if gardai (whether uniformed or plained clothes) are summoned to the store. The other question which begs to be answered is, where or what was their own store security personnel doing whilst this was going on today.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭Not The Real Scarecrow

Its an awful thing but it happens all over the town in different shops,especially at this time of the year.Happened to my sister in dunnes a while back and the mother in law somewhere else. Can't really blame the shops for the town having a few thieving cnuts imo.As for the security, the people doing this are generally well used to doing it and have a fair few different methods of avoiding them.
    I know its enough to make ya furious, but the lesson to be learned is to be always vigilant in any shop, for this kind of thing ,cause its after getting ridiculously common in the city the last few years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

There's only so much security can do to be honest, if your daughter didn't know she was being robbed I doubt the security did.

It's such a ****ty thing to happen though, I really feel for anyone that it has happened to, its such a nightmare trying to cancel cards and replace everything, hopefully they will show up somewhere soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭razor_ryan

Thank you for your comments. And yes I am furious. Whats the point in having cctv in the store. My attitude at the moment is that the security staff should be more pro-active in deterring these thieves from entering the store in the first place and making it as difficult as possible for these thieves to commit any kind of crime in the store.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

razor_ryan wrote: »
    Thank you for your comments. And yes I am furious. Whats the point in having cctv in the store. My attitude at the moment is that the security staff should be more pro-active in deterring these thieves from entering the store in the first place and making it as difficult as possible for these thieves to commit any kind of crime in the store.

Do they walk about with thief tattooed on their foreheads?

Your daughter was unlucky and arguably a bit lackadaisical herself, all cash/plastic should remain in a hard to reach pocket until its handed over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

I know your pissed off but as was mentioned already. Thief's dont have thief tattooed on their forehead.
    My wallet has the chain on it. I know its not everyone's idea of fashion but I can't see people trying to rob aa wallet that's literally attached to someone. Also my wallet has shag all money it so I'm safe that way.

You'd be surprised who be robbing things. When I was working in heatons the girls where telling me about a lady that was walking around the shop, saying she was always robbing stuff. I didn't beleive them at all. Went down by her and she just seemed like a respectful looking 60+ year old woman. On me way back up to the girls and the alarm goes off. I turn around and who's just after walking out of the shop with a full bag of stuff. Was hilaryarse to be honest.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭Faq

When I worked in retails people would steal things everyday one of the lads working once comforted a guy over stealing and he went metal screaming and shouting getting very aggressive from then on if someone would steal we just write it down and leave it at that ring guards was always a waste of time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

I would have been informing the Gardai myself, not hoping for the store to do it for me. You will get nowhere like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,625 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I work in retail and we always report theft to the police, about an average of 12 instances per week. The police will not call to the store unless we have made an arrest and are waiting for a transfer. We would love for the cops to call to the store, it would help deter some theft as apposed to bad publicity but they are too busy.

As for CCTV, it can be win or lose. Sometime you can have a brilliant pic other times nothing. Also unless you have CCTV of the theft taking place its useless. The police will not act on it.

TBH, what if this happened on the quay at the bank machine, who would you blame?

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭2SWEET

Is she certain is was stolen while she was in the queue? Did she see or feel someone steal it from her? Shops can't be held responsible for thieves stealing from their customers but in my opinion they can and should report it to the gardai. It happens so much on the streets too, shops are not at fault here it's the thieves that are, to be honest i think you're angry at the wrong people,the girl at customer service was only doing her job and did take a name and number from you, she wasn't obliged to do anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭billythepig

we have a lot to answer for lettiing all them stowaways into the country.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

we have a lot to answer for lettiing all them stowaways into the country.
    Ah jaysus billy. Put the spoon away. Can't blame them for everything.
    Irish travellers all around the world scamming people with driveways etc, should we take them back?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 869 ✭✭✭honeybadger

maybe take back the ones who couldnt take to the tan:D
    as for the rest well thats one for the road ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭Not The Real Scarecrow

Shops are in a ****ty position in the first place.If they refuse entry to certain people they can get done for discrimination,happened to a mate of mine in an off licence/pub.
    Thing is, that half the time security guards have to weigh up if its worth the hassle confronting half of these fellas. I know they're paid to do it , but if you're only on about a tenner an hour are ya gonna risk being attacked by the end of a pickaxe on your way home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 935 ✭✭✭giles lynchwood

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    I work in retail and we always report theft to the police, about an average of 12 instances per week. The police will not call to the store unless we have made an arrest and are waiting for a transfer. We would love for the cops to call to the store, it would help deter some theft as apposed to bad publicity but they are too busy.

As for CCTV, it can be win or lose. Sometime you can have a brilliant pic other times nothing. Also unless you have CCTV of the theft taking place its useless. The police will not act on it.

TBH, what if this happened on the quay at the bank machine, who would you blame?

First off only the Gardai have the power of arrest and detention and if any person refuses to accompany any rent-a-cop/security man to the office there is nothing they can do only follow the suspect around town until gardai arrive on scene.Even the army do not have power of arrest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Not true, a citizen can apprehend someone else on suspicion of a crime having been committed.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1997/en/act/pub/0014/sec0004.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Hoffmans

friends handbag robbed last xmas cash cards car keys, whipped off the buggy in the baby clothes shop, cctv showed the perp, a junkie slag cops visited her but she wouldnt return the bag dont think they did anyting else like arrestin her or anytin....

so the victim was stuck in town with young baby no way of gettin into the car ,no money and junkie walks off scott free...

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭martin12

Daughters purse stolen from her while queued at check out in department store on the quay this afternoon. Purse contained credit cards and cash. When brought to the attention of customer services, female attendant took details and informed her of two other purse thefts in the department today. Surely there is an onus on the Department store to contact the Gardai immediately so the matter can be properly investigated or are they afraid of the bad publicity the store will get if gardai (whether uniformed or plained clothes) are summoned to the store. The other question which begs to be answered is, where or what was their own store security personnel doing whilst this was going on today.

Any update did you go to the gardai

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭razor_ryan

Latest news is theft was reported to Gardai who had recovered the purse. Person found purse in lane near to rear of department store and handed it to a passing garda. All cards and identity were still in purse. Money however was missing. Gardai are going looking at security video from store and will inform my daughter of any developments.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

Latest news is theft was reported to Gardai who had recovered the purse. Person found purse in lane near to rear of department store and handed it to a passing garda. All cards and identity were still in purse. Money however was missing. Gardai are going looking at security video from store and will inform my daughter of any developments.

Glad she got it back, real pity about all the money though.

Advertisement