Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lisbeg Lawn, Renmore

Options
  • 28-12-2011 6:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭

I know there's a bus route called Lisbeg Lawn.

But is there any actual area (lawn? park? estate?) called Lisbeg Lawn? Can anyone tell me exactly where it it?

Comments

I've never actually heard of an area referred to as Lisbeg Lawn. Did a quick look on Google maps and there doesn't seem to be any area with that name, unusually enough, so I've no idea where it came from.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭lukeeman

lisbeg lawn was made up of holly grove ,chestnut close, blackthorn, hawthorn when i was growing up in renmore. it was a great football team under 8-10-12-14, those were the days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭ErnieBert

Well you know what, I have often wondered where Lisbeg Lawn is? I have seen it on buses had no idea where it is.

You have just given me an idea for a new thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭WesternNight

Yep, pretty much what lukeeman said.

The bus shelter at the bottom of Blackthorn Park is the Lisbeg Lawn stop, officially. There's a stretch of grass all the way from there to the far side of Hawthorn which is the "lawn" bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

It's technically the patch of grass opposite Hawthorn Drive before the larger area of grass near the Renmore barracks, generally considered not to be a legitimate place though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Thanks folks.

Legitimate or not, every so often someone google's it and ends up at the bus route map. Have just done the Renmore neighbourhood map, so I thought I'd put LL on it properly too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

I grew up in Renmore too. Like Lukeeman said...

We used to consider the three streets perpendicular to Rowan Avenue, and Hawthorn Drive, to be Lisbeg Lawn i.e. But the Lawn itself is that piece of grass between Hawthorn Drive and the railway track (looking over at Mellowe's Hurling pitch).

There's even a small stone sign at the bottom of the hill part of Hawthorn Drive (beside Arbutus, which divides the Lawn/Whitethorn Close/Sycamore Court/Beach Park/Yewland Green areas from the Dun na Mara/Dun na Mara Drive part of Renmore).

Man, I'm a little homesick after all that :(

Great memories of that area, especially on a summer's day. Soccer, hurling, pitch and putt, rallies in the allies, shiftin', bushin'...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭wet-paint

Heh, rallies in the allies, good man.

Advertisement