Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Refunded money on card due to double charge but not gone through yet?

• 28-12-2011 7:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭

Well hello all. So on Christmas eve I was buying someone a gift in the chemist, I think they were so busy that the card machine diddn't work at first so the lady put the payment though again and it worked. When I got home and checked my balance online it said I was double charged.
    Well today I went into the chemists with my receipt and they refunded me straight away. Well, I've just checked my balance there now and the refund hasnt gone through.
    Do you know if it will take a day or 2 possibly with the banks being closed or should it go straight through?
    Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭dobsdave

You didnt mention what card it was.
    Today is the first working day for banks, could take at least 3 working days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

DannyKing wrote: »
    Well hello all. So on Christmas eve I was buying someone a gift in the chemist, I think they were so busy that the card machine diddn't work at first so the lady put the payment though again and it worked. When I got home and checked my balance online it said I was double charged.
    Well today I went into the chemists with my receipt and they refunded me straight away. Well, I've just checked my balance there now and the refund hasnt gone through.
    Do you know if it will take a day or 2 possibly with the banks being closed or should it go straight through?
    Thanks.

As said could take 3 days or more which is normal. You will need to give it a few more days.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭DannyKing

Oh ok, thanks. Its an Ulster Bank Visa Debit. I just presumed it would go in instantly. Thanks guys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

Debit card refunds can take up to 10 working days to clear as it is technically "real money" as opposed to credit cards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,625 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Also, it could have been that you were only charged once, even though it looks like you were charged twice on you internet banking. Keep an eye on you account in case you get refunded twice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Elliejo

Today wasn't a working day for banks. The Christmas holidays are 'Christmas Day, St Stephen's Day and the day following St Stephen's Day.' So three days closed, thanks to the 'good' old IBOA.....

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭DannyKing

10 days. Grr. I wouldn't usually worry but off to Berlin for the new year. I'll keep an eye on my account anyway. Thanks again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

Elliejo wrote: »
    Today wasn't a working day for banks. The Christmas holidays are 'Christmas Day, St Stephen's Day and the day following St Stephen's Day.' So three days closed, thanks to the 'good' old IBOA.....

What's your problem?

The "three closed days" arrangement has been in place for many years. Do you not believe that bank staff should have time off for Christmas? Plenty people in other industries will not be back to work until 3 January.

If the IBOA did not exist, senior management in all four banks would walk their staff into the ground.

Advertisement